Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What's the hardest part of Pesach prep for you?
1  2  3  4  Next

contextual

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:07 pm

Curious what the hardest part of preparing for Pesach is for most people.

Finding the money?
Shopping?
Cleaning?
Cooking?

Can I hear about it?

Hiding

justforfun87

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:21 pm
Cleaning for me is really hard. We are just really not clean people and food has been brought into every room. Do I clean excessively over what is required? Probably but it takes at least a solid week.

WitchKitty

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:31 pm
Timing.
When to 'turn over'. When to clean the dining room. When to start cooking.
It always needs to be not to early, because you don't want extra pesach days, and not too late so there's no stress. And it changes ever year, depending on the day pesach starts...

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:32 pm
Can I say that they are all hard?

Finding the money to afford Pesach is searching for a miracle every year. We're barely making it the rest of the year, and the sheer volume of fruits, vegetables, chicken, fish, and matzah, plus way more paper goods than I ever use during the year, is overwhelming. We have pretty strict minhagim so there are no shortcut foods.

Shopping is not SO hard for me, I make most orders online and get them shipped or my very kind DH picks them up. It's pressing submit on the orders and feeling stressed by the cost that gets me every time!

Cleaning is a job. I'm not high energy, our house is messy, we have toddlers, and there is chometz EVERYWHERE. We have a large house (thank You Hashem!) and a lot of stuff. I have kids home all day, I work from home for part of the night, and there just never seems like a good time to do it. I get overwhelmed looking at a space that needs cleaning. We barely do the minimum in the end.

Cooking I don't MIND so much but it's never-ending. Pesach food is way healthier but not as filling and the volume needed is crazy. And with no shortcuts, everything takes longer. So it's all day every day peeling and cooking, whereas during the year I keep my cooking time as short as possible.

But with all that, I love Pesach.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:33 pm
Those two days before pesach.

amother
Cognac

contextual wrote:

Curious what the hardest part of preparing for Pesach is for most people.

Finding the money?
Shopping?
Cleaning?
Cooking?

Can I hear about it?

Hiding

All of the above!

amother
Latte

Making room in cabinets for pesach stuff and putting my regular stuff away. I keep saying if I would have proper pesach storage/ not boxes, my life would be so much easier.
I actually like the cleaning and cooking. It’s the turning over and turning back that does me in.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:35 pm
For me it's the cleaning, for sure. Especially with little kids who "unclean" what I have cleaned.
We have a strict 'food only in kitchen and dining room' policy, but with toddlers, you can and do find food anywhere.

The cooking is fun for me, I love cooking.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:36 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:
Making room in cabinets for pesach stuff and putting my regular stuff away. I keep saying if I would have proper pesach storage/ not boxes, my life would be so much easier.
I actually like the cleaning and cooking. It’s the turning over and turning back that does me in.

I don't do that. I set up temporary storage for pesach for the pesach stuff and skip that whole step.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:42 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I don't do that. I set up temporary storage for pesach for the pesach stuff and skip that whole step.

Me too. I have three big plastic storage cabinets and we drag them into my (tiny) kitchen, and tape all the regular cabinets and drawers closed.

We also bought a cheap range for Pesach and switch it out with our regular range so I don't have to clean that.

Kashering the sink and counters and covering everything is a job, but it's just a one-night job.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:46 pm
Cleaning. I clean EVERYTHING. And I don't have Cleaning help.
I usually start Tu Bishvat, doing something once a week, and after Purim, doing something every day.
Started late this year, since it's a double Adar anyways.

amother
Aster

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:49 pm
Finding time to do all the prep. I work full time until erev YT and it is rough! Too many late, late nights.

2020 was FABULOUS - I was home because of covid (obviously) and had so much time to do everything. It was a total dream.

mfb

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:51 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:

I know someone that bought a shelving unit and puts its into her kitchen to put Pesach things onto.

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 2:56 pm
Used to be finding the time, but now I work from home with a baby (under 1) and I'm due soon so...it's finding the energy!! Can barely function as it is so praying for a miracle to pull this off honestly. We'll get there in the end, right?? Just counting my blessings that my baby hasn't figured out how to get into ALL the cabinets yet so the pantry is safe for now, that should be a help!

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 3:00 pm
amother [ Sage ] wrote:
Me too. I have three big plastic storage cabinets and we drag them into my (tiny) kitchen, and tape all the regular cabinets and drawers closed.

We also bought a cheap range for Pesach and switch it out with our regular range so I don't have to clean that.

Kashering the sink and counters and covering everything is a job, but it's just a one-night job.

I’m thinking of doing this this year.

It would make things SO much easier!

But what’s stopping me is - all my supplies to cook would be 10+ feet away! The spices, the mixing spoon, the spatula, the pots and plates…. Would this aspect make it harder? I don’t have room for these freestanding cabinets in the kitchen so they’d be a good amount of steps away nearby in the living room! (Open floor plan tho!) What do you think???

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 3:02 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

But what’s stopping me is - all my supplies to cook would be 10+ feet away! The spices, the mixing spoon, the spatula, the pots and plates…. Would this aspect make it harder? I don’t have room for these freestanding cabinets in the kitchen so they’d be a good amount of steps away nearby in the living room! (Open floor plan tho!) What do you think???

I would clear out just one drawer for the most used items, then the rest should be ok in the next room - did that one year and it worked well especially since the pots/bowls I use the most were generally in the drainboard or in use anyhow!

amother
Sage

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 3:02 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

But what’s stopping me is - all my supplies to cook would be 10+ feet away! The spices, the mixing spoon, the spatula, the pots and plates…. Would this aspect make it harder? I don’t have room for these freestanding cabinets in the kitchen so they’d be a good amount of steps away nearby in the living room! What do you think???

I usually keep the spatulas etc. in a pitcher on the counter. If you can find room for a small plastic drawer unit you can put the most frequently used items in there. I'll often keep a pile of plates and bowls on the counter too.

The pots and small appliances don't need to be that conveniently located IMHO.

Definitely worth it for the ease of turning over the kitchen AND turning it back over after Pesach!

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 3:08 pm
amother [ Latte ] wrote:

I just set up temporary shelves for the pesach stuff
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HD.....aw.ds
tape the cabinets shut and finished

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 3:16 pm
I have ocd and executive function so yeah everything...

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 3:21 pm
it's all hard.
juggling full time work and cleaning and cooking and kids home for so long before Pesach is probably the hardest for me. But the other parts are too - no cleaning help, financially so stressed, no time to shop, keeping the kids from bringing chometz all over the house (some families send it to school and the kids bring it home Sad)...
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics