Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Sourdough Challah

jeg

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 9:13 am
I don't tolerate yeast well so I've been experimenting with sourdough challah. I'm fine with adding some yeast if needed (my starter is not super strong) but still want to keep the recipe as low in sugar as possible. My end goal is a heimish, not so sweet, more bread like challah. Is there anyone who could help me with an exact recipe? Thank you.

abcde2

Post Tue, Mar 15 2022, 10:27 am
jeg wrote:
I don't tolerate yeast well so I've been experimenting with sourdough challah. I'm fine with adding some yeast if needed (my starter is not super strong) but still want to keep the recipe as low in sugar as possible. My end goal is a heimish, not so sweet, more bread like challah. Is there anyone who could help me with an exact recipe? Thank you.

My recipe is just flour, water, and salt

Would you be interested?

jeg

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 12:47 pm
abcde2 wrote:
My recipe is just flour, water, and salt

Would you be interested?

Thank you! Yes. What does it come out like? What would happen if I added oil?

sky

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 2:17 pm
I’ve only made traditional artisanal sourdough with water, salt and flour.
But your post got me curious snd I saw there are some really nice challah recipes with oil and sugar that I really want to try (but not this week). I wonder if some of my younger kids would be like it as much as my regular challah.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 2:21 pm
deleted

Last edited by anonymrs on Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

abcde2

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 2:23 pm
Taste is like a real sourdough bread, why would you want to add oil?

Recipe would be completely different if oil and sugar is added.I would suggest you try recipe above, that is more a challah.

jeg

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:20 am
anonymrs wrote:
I make sourdough challa. This recipe can be braided.

240 g starter
600 g flour
250 g water
35 g honey
50 g oil
30 g salt

I do a slow rise in the fridge, take it out to warm on the counter up to an hour. Then braid and bake at 375 for about an hour, depending on your oven.

Thank you. How would you describe the resulting challah?

jeg

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:21 am
abcde2 wrote:
Taste is like a real sourdough bread, why would you want to add oil?

Recipe would be completely different if oil and sugar is added.I would suggest you try recipe above, that is more a challah.

My end goal is a heimishe style challah, not a sourdough bread. I'm only using sourdough because I'm trying to avoid yeast.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:40 am
anonymrs wrote:
I make sourdough challa. This recipe can be braided.

240 g starter
600 g flour
250 g water
35 g honey
50 g oil
30 g salt

I do a slow rise in the fridge, take it out to warm on the counter up to an hour. Then braid and bake at 375 for about an hour, depending on your oven.

Just saw this. I have two questions.
1) What type of flour should be used?
2) How do you get sourdough braidable?

I have an ongoing sourdough starter that I use for whole wheat sourdough bread. It can also "do" white flour. The breads come out fine using the no-knead approach and a round form. I've tried using it as a slightly sweetened sourdough challah dough but the consistency was totally unbraidable. Too sticky and fragile, just like my no-knead bread which is no-knead for a reason. It doesn't hold any shape other than what the baking form gives it.
Sometimes I put a bit of the starter into my regular challah yeast dough just to improve taste, but there it is clearly in the minority and doesn't count as sourdough.
Pure sourdough didn't work for me at all as a challah.
Any recommendations for a re-try?

alef12

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:45 am
https://homegrownkosher.com/bl.....allah

This is my sourdough challah recipe on my blog

I've been making it for many years and I developed the recipe myself. (I've seen it going around without any credit given but I can assure you it's my recipe Smile )

Happy to answer any questions you have, either here or by email (you can email me through my website)

anonymrs

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:48 am
deleted

Last edited by anonymrs on Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

anonymrs

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:58 am
alef12 wrote:
https://homegrownkosher.com/blogs/homegrown-kosher/sourdough-challah

I've been making it for many years and I developed the recipe myself. (I've seen it going around without any credit given but I can assure you it's my recipe Smile )

Happy to answer any questions you have, either here or by email (you can email me through my website)

Oh, I'm so sorry. I had no idea where the recipe came from. I got it from a friend. I'll take down my post.

alef12

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:04 am
anonymrs wrote:
Oh, I'm so sorry. I had no idea where the recipe came from. I got it from a friend. I'll take down my post.

Thanks! One of the great frustrations of being a recipe developer is that like the game of telephone mistakes are made when the recipe is copied and recopied. The recipe you posted is almost exactly the same as mine with double the amount of salt (I assume an error in copying/forwarding) then someone will say the recipe doesn't work/is too salty/wet/dry/hard to work with. Baking is such a science that small changes can make a huge difference.

The blog post has more than just a list of ingredients but instructions and lots of tips for the recipe to be successful (including my recommended brand of flour and yes that can make a huge difference)

anonymrs

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:24 am
alef12 wrote:
Thanks! One of the great frustrations of being a recipe developer is that like the game of telephone mistakes are made when the recipe is copied and recopied. The recipe you posted is almost exactly the same as mine with double the amount of salt (I assume an error in copying/forwarding) then someone will say the recipe doesn't work/is too salty/wet/dry/hard to work with. Baking is such a science that small changes can make a huge difference.

The blog post has more than just a list of ingredients but instructions and lots of tips for the recipe to be successful (including my recommended brand of flour and yes that can make a huge difference)

That was actually my personal mistake because I usually double the recipe. Sorry.

alef12

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:27 am
anonymrs wrote:
That was actually my personal mistake because I usually double the recipe. Sorry.

Heart

jeg

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 11:28 am
alef12 wrote:
https://homegrownkosher.com/blogs/homegrown-kosher/sourdough-challah

This looks cool! I have two questions:
-I don't have a mixer and usually do by hand, will it still work?
-Would it work if I reduced the honey? I'm trying to lower my sugar intake.

Thank you!

jeg

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 7:03 pm
I tried the Rebbetzin Kanievsky recipe... I need to practice it a bit more before I can decide if I like it but so far it seems promising. I added sourdough starter and reduced the sugar but it was quite sticky.

HakolTov

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 7:27 pm
@Alef12:

Do you sell starter?
I may be interested in purchasing some since I want make sourdough bread...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads