Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Fun writing challenge-create your own character's story

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 16 2022, 11:11 pm
Following Kiwi13's thread re writing, I thought I would try a writing challenge for those wanting to join. The concept is about fun writing, there's no good or bad or any limits. I'm going to offer a short scenario and you can create what your version of the character is. I'll give a couple of examples below.

Scenario-woman in a store with a stroller and crying baby.

Example of character 1:
Mindy blew irritably at the side bangs that fell into her face again. She wished she had been brave enough to tell the sheitel macher that she hadn't wanted bangs, but the sheitel macher had steamrolled her. Mindy, a year earlier, as a nervous kallah hadn't the courage to believe that it didn't matter about buying what was in fashion.
She looked down at the stroller at her sleeping baby with disbelief. She still didn't believe that in one short year she had gone from being single, to being a wife and now a mother.
The queue wasn't getting any shorter and Mindy was starting to get nervous. She hadn't meant to be gone for so long but this was the first time she'd been shopping since Shaya was born. She could feel that it was almost time for his feed and she knew he would be waking up soon.
And as she had predicted, Shaya's eyes shot open and he began to cry. Putting his pacifier in his mouth, she rocked the stroller, hoping he would stay calm...

Example of character 2:
Chaiky pushed the stroller through the narrow aisles with irritation. Why did they make the stores so tight to navigate, didn't they think about the poor mothers with their strollers? She hadn't gotten used to having a stroller again and all the stuff a little baby needed. Her youngest, Mordy had been almost 11 when little Chaya was born. Chaya had been an unexpected gift for Chaiky and Shlomo. Not that Chaiky regretted having Chaya. It was just hard to adjust to having a newborn again. Especially now that Leah, her oldest had just gotten engaged. It was a lot to deal with.
Chaiky looked down at the stroller and to sleeping Chaya. She hoped Chaya would stay sleeping long enough for Chaiky to find a gift to send to her new mechutanim. Also Leah wanted something to send to her Chosson in Yeshiva.
Sighing, Chaiky saw Chaya's eyes open and her mouth scrunch up into the beginnings of a scream. Chaya wasn't an easy baby, she was up most of the night and was only quiet when being held. She didn't like being put down much in the day either...

So the challenge-

Scenario:

Man standing by the bus stop at 12.30am. In one hand he's holding his phone and the other hand he's holding a doll.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Thu, Mar 17 2022, 12:05 am
Quote:
Man standing by the bus stop at 12.30am. In one hand he's holding his phone and the other hand he's holding a doll.

"I told Esti this would happen," Chaim muttered irritably as he waited for the bus back to Har Nof after an hour-long search of his daughter Chanala's room. "I told her a hundred times that if we didn't start weaning Chanala away from sleeping with this doll every night, we would end up in such a situation down the road. And then it takes me an hour to find the thing--" He shifted from one foot to another, peering into the dark night. "Where is that bus?! Wait. One second. Egged doesn't run this late... Shoot, now I need to call a taxi? I had better win Father of the Year Award after this--"

"Ma!" nine-year-old Chanala wailed from the sofa bed in her grandparents' guest room. "Why is it taking Abba so long? I can't fall asleep until I have Mimi!" Her mother sighed, thinking many thoughts about attachments gone too far. If she had known when Chanala was three years old and adorably attached to Mimi that six years later she would refuse to go to bed until her father went to Mattersdorf and back for the forgotten doll, maybe she would have listened to Chaim's warnings way back...

GLUE

Post Thu, Mar 17 2022, 2:17 am
Amother Nasturtium, I think you are suppose to put down the next Scenario for the next person. Not that everyone uses the same scenario.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 1:04 am
GLUE wrote:
Amother Nasturtium, I think you are suppose to put down the next Scenario for the next person. Not that everyone uses the same scenario.

Oh. Ok

Woman walking into parent-teacher conferences, clutching a notebook tightly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club