Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
You know themes have gotten out of hand when....

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 12:50 am
A male neighbor passes your house on Purim and sees your kids who each chose what they want to dress up as and he asks "what's your theme"?

Umm, our theme is "no theme". I think I win the creativity award of the year!!!

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 12:53 am
Dumb comment.
I love seeing original themes but totally don’t expect that it’s mandatory. It’s perfectly ok either way.

amother
Phlox

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 1:01 am
I agree OP.
I am kind of torn.
I enjoy seeing other people do themes. I actually lpve reading the poems and get a kick put of all the connections and plays on words.
I have never done a theme and do not see any need to. I am perfectly capable. I can be creative with the best of them. But I have no interest in doing it. I am happy to do my thing and see other people do theirs.

The thing that worries me is that many people who do themes seem so stressed, like they have an image to keep up. It's such a pity.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 1:04 am
It doesn't mean themes have gotten out of hand. It means THIS person is stupid, or is obsessed with themes, or his wife/daughter/other females in his life are obsessed with themes and he thinks that's the only way to do Purim. (or something else I didn't think of!)

One man's comment doesn't mean things are out of hand.

P.S. I don't usually do themes. This year we did because my kids all wanted to and agreed and it worked. Do whatever makes you happy!

Mayflower

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 1:47 am
I always answer: my theme is happy kids.
If that means we have a fireman, a flower, a painter and a baker that's fine. Some years they do all want to be the same and that's fine too.

amother
Quince

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 7:36 am
I could SO hear my husband making that comment. He would mean it as a joke poking fun at the “theme” ppl.

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 7:40 am
I saw one theme total this year… figured with all the complaints about themes EVERYONE must be doing them. And I live in town in a place with supposed peer pressure.

happy chick

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 7:45 am
My kids would never want to dress up "same as child x". Each one wants to be his/her unique costume. No themes here, ever. And no matching mm to costumes either.

And like someone else pointed out, I feel bad for the ppl who stress over getting everyone dressed the same. And what happens when one child refuses 🤦

imasinger

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 8:17 am
I suggest matching T shirts saying Error 404 No Theme Found.

bigsis144

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 8:22 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A male neighbor passes your house on Purim and sees your kids who each chose what they want to dress up as and he asks "what's your theme"?

Umm, our theme is "no theme". I think I win the creativity award of the year!!!

First of all: I don’t personally ever do themes.

So with that said, it’s also possible that by asking about your theme, a person could be trying to show appreciation for it.

So “what’s your theme?” isn’t demanding a theme, it’s just “most people I know have a theme, and if your kids’ costumes are connected in some way I didn’t put together, I’d like to give you a chance to point it out so I can express appreciation for your effort/creativity”.

I’ve certainly asked people what their theme is, especially if I see things that seem significant (or otherwise random) in their MM but I don’t understand it at first glance.

I’m sorry if I came off rude when asking, but if a person is confident enough to say “eh, no theme, Happy Purim!” what’s the harm? I once saw someone dressed as a classical music composer in a baroque jacket and white wig walking with the Tasmanian devil from the Looney Tunes - they were the BACH and the TAZ, an incredibly clever and niche joke about famous mefarshim that I’m so glad was explained to me because brilliant!

Just like I have shown appreciation for individual people in cool costumes by asking “what are you dressed as?” - sometimes they say “oh, it’s just a blue wig, not anything” and sometimes it’s a character from a book series I’ve never read and they’re happy to recommend it. That level of social interaction isn’t yenta-ish to me.

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 10:54 am
There was one year that nobody wanted to do a theme. We said our theme that year was individuality!

BrisketBoss

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 10:58 am
This is the real creative answer:

Our theme is that we're all wearing costumes.

lamplighter

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 11:00 am
Our theme is always happy kids.
Kids choose their own costumes and MM.

GLUE

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 11:17 am
Was I the only one who thought this tread was about over the top themes?

kenz

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 11:17 am
Why are you taking it as a personal insult? Just say we don’t have one, conversation over. Not everything has to be a big deal.

zaq

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 12:15 pm
Man, people take things so seriously! Lighten up. No one is implying that you must have a theme. With themes so popular, those who don’t “khap” a theme simply want to know if they’re missing something. They’re also making polite chitchat. Those with themes want to talk about them, and those who ask are kindly giving them an opportunity to do so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics