Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Relationship with teacher

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 12:46 pm
The other thread about the special treatment for rich student gor me thinking about my own situation. I'm a parent of a daughter with some learning struggles. After being in denial for a yrs last year we finally got her the help she needs and we saw alot of progress. This year she didn't require alot of help. I was surprised to see on her report card that the teacher gave her a less then average mark. On the part of plays well with others. Shes in 4th grade btw. Not a behavior child. They mixed up the class this year and the teacher felt she wasn't so part of the class. Such a section on the report card is saved for kids who are bully or the like. The teacher said I gave her this mark to make you aware of the situation? Is it not normal to wait for pta the following week to tell the mother rather than give her the minus on the report card. I feel I shouldn't be making a big deal but months later I am still resentful of this teacher. Not because she gave my daughter a minus but the reason behind it. Is this how it works in all schools?

amother
Cherry

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 12:49 pm
She had business reaching out to you and telling you, months ago, not surprising you on a report card.

She should have called and spoken with you to discuss how to collectively improve the situation for your DD, not just reporting it to cover her backside.

behappy2

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 1:00 pm
She should have told you earlier but since she didn't it was definitely appropriate to put on the report card either way.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 2:11 pm
behappy2 wrote:
She should have told you earlier but since she didn't it was definitely appropriate to put on the report card either way.

What about my daughter who is trying her best. Its not a subject that can be measured like spelling math or science. And her previous years report card was normal?

ImmaBubby

Post Fri, Mar 18 2022, 2:18 pm
“Not being part of the class” isn’t reason for any negative grade. It’s a reason to reach out to parents to figure out why this is happening and for the teacher to be working on strengthening your daughter’s relationship with her peers.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics