Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How to cover countertops for pesach-non disposable options?
Previous  1  2

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:26 am
smss wrote:
You did it yourself? Or got it done somewhere?

We cut ourselves but I don’t store it cuz I don’t have where. It’s another $40-50 added into pesach expenses.

Fox

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:10 am
amother [ DarkGray ] wrote:
Find ceramic tiles that are available in multiple sizes. Lay down thick foil on the counter, put tiles on top.

My countertops are runs of 2' x 30" and I found tiles that are available in both 8" x 24" and 6" x 24".

This is what started doing a few years ago, and I love it. My tiles have a matte finish, so they work great as cutting surfaces.

happytobemom

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:19 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
We use corrugated plastic, which is measured and cut exactly to fit the counters.

Same!

Mindfully

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:04 am
We use corrugated plastic which we store from year to year. Just wipe down with windex at end.
We found it was a good idea to seal open ends with water proof tape so dirt doesn't get trapped inside. If dirt does get in, take it outside and hose thru with garden hose. Dry and store til next year.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 2:23 pm
Thanks everyone for all your helpful suggestions. I do have storage space to keep the counter cover, especially as due to the layout of my hob, sinks etc, I don't actually have any long straight sections, so they wouldn't be so big.
I would love to make something proper, but dh is so not the diy type and he would just procrastinate dealing.
I think the corrugated plastic sounds the most practical and easy to use. Can anyone tell me where I buy it from? Is it just any from a diy store, or is there somewhere specific I can get it or a specific type?
Also can I ask from anyone with the corrugated plastic-how does it hold up against cuts or other damage? I'm not always great with a cutting board, so the knife can slip-will that cut through the plastic? Also I'm assuming it can't take heat, like putting a hot tray/pan is a big no-no?

And how do you cover the sinks-is that foil or is there something else that can be used?

Thanks

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 2:31 pm
I use a boxcutter to cut the corrugated plastic to size.
I have learned to purchase the biggest pieces for the triangular corners of the counters/sinks and cut as custom as possible. This way it's mostly big pieces that extend way past the corners and cover most of the counter space, and I don't need any tape to hold anything down. Comes out much neater this way and I have an easier time cooking, cleaning and wiping down.
I only use tape on the actual ends of the corrugated plastic, in order to seal the ends so food doesn't get it (but I don't tape down to the counter or to each other). This way it stays clean and I can keep them for a couple of early.
The cutting takes time so I buy early. And once I have a pattern, I can easily cut new ones just by tracking, so I don't throw them our until I've recut new ones.

ETA: As long as you use a plate underneath while cutting, you shouldn't have a problem.
Also, interestingly enough, it doesn't melt from a hot pan coming out of the oven. But you do need to put something safe between the plastic and a hot plate.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, Mar 20 2022, 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

ra_mom

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 2:32 pm
If you have stainless steel sinks, you can just kasher. Otherwise buy sink inserts. Much better than lining with foil.

cozyblanket

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 2:35 pm
Cheap flooring on the roll from Lowes or HD. We store it each year. It has some damp spots when we remove it. I let it dry in the basement for 24 hrs before rolling it up and storing it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics