Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
PIANO LESSONS BY EAR
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:53 am
Hi,
I live in Jackson/Lakewood and have been searching for a piano teacher for my very talented 9 year old daughter. Where are you hiding, piano teachers? I would love to hire you to teach my adorable talented daughter Very Happy . Please, Please someone reply!!! I feel like time is ticking and soon she will be too old to be interested in it. (I would love someone who can teach by ear and come to my house but that's a plus) Where do kids these days learn how to play piano???????????
I've tried teaching her myself but I am not on a high enough level to teach it properly and I'm not exciting enough for her....
I feel like it's such an important outlet for kids these days to be able to use their talents and feel good about themselves.
I happen to not have the money for extras but this is something I find is very important.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:56 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi,
I live in Jackson/Lakewood and have been searching for a piano teacher for my very talented 9 year old daughter. Where are you hiding, piano teachers? I would love to hire you to teach my adorable talented daughter Very Happy . Please, Please someone reply!!! I feel like time is ticking and soon she will be too old to be interested in it. (I would love someone who can teach by ear and come to my house but that's a plus) Where do kids these days learn how to play piano???????????
I've tried teaching her myself but I am not on a high enough level to teach it properly and I'm not exciting enough for her....
I feel like it's such an important outlet for kids these days to be able to use their talents and feel good about themselves.
I happen to not have the money for extras but this is something I find is very important.

No recommendations bc I don't live in your area, but I wonder why you stress "by ear"
They learn so much more when they learn to read notes. It's a challenge early on, but with a good teacher, they catch on fairly quickly and feel very accomplished. Reading notes is a wonderful skill and sets the foundation for them to get to a much more advanced level.

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:00 pm
OP, are you open to a teacher over zoom?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:08 pm
My daughter does bassline pro lessons on the computer.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:09 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
No recommendations bc I don't live in your area, but I wonder why you stress "by ear"
They learn so much more when they learn to read notes. It's a challenge early on, but with a good teacher, they catch on fairly quickly and feel very accomplished. Reading notes is a wonderful skill and sets the foundation for them to get to a much more advanced level.
Depends on the kid. My daughter is adhd-I and I tried both ways but she does much better when she’s taught to play by ear.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:15 pm
I learned piano by ear as an 18 year old in 5 lessons and I can play beautiful music now bH! (I used to beg my mother to send me to lessons as a kid but she never felt it was important enough...until I was 18 she finally gave in!) I did not bother with the notes because I felt like I would not have the patience to work at it at that age but when ppl hear me play, they can't believe that it only took 5 piano lessons to learn how to play the way I do... so that's why I'm into playing by ear. I think this particular daughter would feel like learning piano with notes would be too much like doing school work. Piano by ear is less intense. maybe I'm wrong...

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I learned piano by ear as an 18 year old in 5 lessons and I can play beautiful music now bH! (I used to beg my mother to send me to lessons as a kid but she never felt it was important enough...until I was 18 she finally gave in!) I did not bother with the notes because I felt like I would not have the patience to work at it at that age but when ppl hear me play, they can't believe that it only took 5 piano lessons to learn how to play the way I do... so that's why I'm into playing by ear. I think this particular daughter would feel like learning piano with notes would be too much like doing school work. Piano by ear is less intense. maybe I'm wrong...

I don't think it's the notes that make piano lessons feel like homework. Even if you learn by ear, you need to practice. Practicing can feel like homework if your daughter is not self motivated.

Also, just because you learned in 5 lessons as an adult doesn't mean your 9 year old will learn the same. Does your daughter actually want to learn to play piano?

gingleale

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 6:39 pm
I would look into Suzuki piano lessons as opposed to traditional style. No idea where to find that near Lakewood.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 6:40 pm
Exact-notes.com

Mr. Zack is the best!

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:03 pm
OP,
Could you share who your teacher was, that taught you to play by ear in 5 lessons?? I would love to take lessons like that. Maybe she/he does Zoom?? Thanks

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:04 pm
Sara Rosenberg does zoom lessons. My kids love her! 7323641531. Text

Simple1

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:54 pm
Bassline online or USB lessons. If she's super disciplined, doing the fast track - 2 lessons at at time will get her playing pretty quickly.

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:07 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

How much does she charge?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:54 pm
I guess zoom is the way to go these days Very Happy . I would love the old fashion live teacher but I guess it's just too hard to find... Thanks for all the replies. The teacher who taught me in 5 lessons lives where I grew up (out of the US). I don't think she does zoom. But if you feel the drive to learn it, it's sooooooooooooooooo worth it. I bought a second hand piano and I use it all the time to unwind, relax. That is why I want my kids to learn it too... (fyi I got my mother to send my younger sister to the same teacher at a much younger age than me and she learned the traditional way with notes. She got very good at it but eventually she started just playing by ear because she felt it was easier for her. She is also married now and has a piano and plays all the time. So healthy to play music)

amother
Raspberry

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:22 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:

Does she teaches boys also, or only girls? And does she do keyboard as well, or only piano? And what are her rates?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:47 pm
If your daughter is musically talented and already plays well by ear, she might benefit by learning to read a lead sheet (melody line plus chords). A lead sheet is what many keyboardists use when playing as an accompanist or with a band.

I write up lead sheets when learning songs I'm not familiar with. Learning chords — really this is part of music theory — is a different art than classical sight reading but if you're really looking for her to play Jewish pop music, this may be a good approach.

I have a pro background but do not teach music and I am not in Lakewood.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:53 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Bassline online or USB lessons. If she's super disciplined, doing the fast track - 2 lessons at at time will get her playing pretty quickly.

I second this. I have a few kids who have done these lessons and are playing beautifully by ear. My nine year old daughter has us all astounded with her level of skill and understanding of chords and coordination on the keyboard. I am a huge fan of these lessons

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:01 pm
amother [ Raspberry ] wrote:
Does she teaches boys also, or only girls? And does she do keyboard as well, or only piano? And what are her rates?

I'm an old student she may have gone up but she's very reasonable.
She does boys as well.
All instruments... Definitely many!

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:06 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Depends on the kid. My daughter is adhd-I and I tried both ways but she does much better when she’s taught to play by ear.

Does better at what? Musical literacy is usually part of the reason for piano lessons.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:19 pm
Rubber ducky- do you have jewish songs written up with chords? I would love to get a hold of some of the nice jewish songs with just the chords. (no need for notes) I am not so good at figuring out the right chords for each sound and it would be much simpler to have it on a paper in front of me. By the way, this is something you can make money on if you sell your "sheet music". It's hard to find online.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts