Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim tips and hacks - what worked this year

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 4:05 pm
Whilst it's still fresh in everyone's mind - what tip or hack do you have?

I'll start - I made lots of different types of MM , home baked for relatives, neighbours etc. A different types for Rebbes, a different type for Rov, and it made it so much easier than trying to work out one that will work for all.

Probably very elementary for most, for me it was a game changer Very Happy

I also made loads extra - used stuff we will use anyway for shabbos Nash etc and completely took the pressure off when we could reciprocate when people turned up. Yes, I know we don't have to, but I like to!

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 4:07 pm
Donated to the Ukraine relief effort and only gave out 2 actual food mms. Game changing!

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 4:10 pm
Spent the beginning of last week cleaning up/keeping the area we make the mishloach manos clean. It took so fast to put together all the mishloach manos and clean up once Purim was over.

English3

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 4:42 pm
Let go off a lot of expectations, I was more easy going.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 5:16 pm
Gave each kid a shopping bag at the start of our trip by car to do the rebbe/friend shalach manos stops. Each kid kept their own stash of goodies received in their bag. Zero car cleanup needed after purim and no fights about whose taffy it really belongs to...

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 6:23 pm
Made potato kugels for mishloach manot, with a small grape juice. Simple, easy enough, and everyone loved the real food.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 6:26 pm
I find the exact opposite so much easier, same mmfor everyone. This year I did a nice bottle of water, bagel chips and a chocolate bar. Added a tip for the rebbis and morahs.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 6:26 pm
amother [ DarkMagenta ] wrote:
Made potato kugels for mishloach manot, with a small grape juice. Simple, easy enough, and everyone loved the real food.

Awww I wish I got one from you!

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:31 pm
We ordered way too much food for the “after party”- the cholent and kugel went, everything else was extra and went to the garbage.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:34 pm
I waaaay underestimated how many mm my 3 year old would get. We will be making 20 next year Smile.
Also, I'll have some nosh on hand for random neighborhood kids who stop by.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:58 pm
Yeah I needed for the neighborhood kids too! Thanks for the reminder!!

I also left the MM out on the side cuz it looked so festive, but then was completely in the way whilst doing the seuda. So next year will all be put away before seuda

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 7:59 pm
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
Donated to the Ukraine relief effort and only gave out 2 actual food mms. Game changing!

Amazing!!

We gave 5 MM. I can’t recommend it enough. Keeping it simple is the way to go!

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:00 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
We ordered way too much food for the “after party”- the cholent and kugel went, everything else was extra and went to the garbage.

Garbage??!! Why?? I mean, why ever?! But this year with shabbos the next day couldn’t you have reserved some?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:14 pm
I finished all shalach manos a week before purim and had all costumes laid out a day before taanis esther. I did not have such a calm purim ever bh. I'm always busy till the last second with making shalach manos and finishing costumes. I'm usually so rushed and exhausted by the time we need to leave to megilla. Bh had a very calm day this year.

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:07 pm
Every kid chooses one rebbe or teacher to go to on Purim and the rest get sent before to school or cheder. This cuts down tremendously on the pressure of being on one end of town by 12:30 and the other end of town by 1:00 and then loop back to another location by 1:45, making an out of the way stop to another rebbe/teacher who only became available at 1:00 but it doesn't make sense to come back to this traffic-ridden section of town.

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:10 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
I finished all shalach manos a week before purim and had all costumes laid out a day before taanis esther. I did not have such a calm purim ever bh. I'm always busy till the last second with making shalach manos and finishing costumes. I'm usually so rushed and exhausted by the time we need to leave to megilla. Bh had a very calm day this year.

This is my goal!

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:31 pm
I hosted the Purim seuda this year and had my cleaning lady come 2 hours before the seuda and stay throughout (plus she came the following morning at her regularly scheduled time) - wow it made a huge difference!!! I was so calm about the state of my house during purim day because I knew she’d work her magic. She cleaned and watched the kids throughout the seuda so I didn’t feel pressure to be busy with cleaning.

salt

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 9:09 am
amother [ Steel ] wrote:

Great in theory, but what do you do if someone gives you?
Do you not give back/ re-use recycled mishloach manot?
Or just give them a certificate saying money was donated in their name?

I prepare about 8 to give, and 8 for people who give us.
Anything extra is recycled.

imaima

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 9:12 am
salt wrote:
Great in theory, but what do you do if someone gives you?
Do you not give back/ re-use recycled mishloach manot?
Or just give them a certificate saying money was donated in their name?

I prepare about 8 to give, and 8 for people who give us.
Anything extra is recycled.

I don't feel the pressure to give back. Sometimes I can sometimes I cannot

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 9:32 am
I scheduled my cleaning crew to come on Wednesday so my house was clean enough before hosting the seuda and then they came back on Friday and cleaned my house from Purim for shabbos.
My house looked like a tornado hit after the seuda. Bh it was a ton of fun and went on till midnight.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics