Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more
Toilet Training

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 11:10 am
My girls will be three this summer. One is showing readiness for toilet training. I know they are two different people and I want to focus on just one but the other always has to have a turn as well… how can I focus of the one that’s ready if they always do everything together? In general any tips on toilet training two… thanks

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 11:20 am
3 is a perfect age for potty training and I’d say if the other likes to copy then hone in on that and totally train them together! See if you can get a spare pair of hands for the first day or two and do a 3 day method.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 11:25 am
What’s the three day method. They are my first so no experience

amother
Midnight

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 12:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s the three day method. They are my first so no experience

There are lots of different books on the method just google it. I was successful with the book “oh cr*p”. It really helped me navigate the first time around.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 1:01 pm
Disclaimer: I don't have multiples. But I've toilet trained singletons...

I would do pre-training now, for one or for both if they're interested. A lot of parents think their kids are "showing toilet readiness," and maybe they are to some degree, but the whole toilet training process will go much better if you set the stage ahead of time. When they get dressed, make sure that they can pull their pants on and off easily. Start talking about the words that they'll need to know, including whatever your family name for urine and feces is (pee, pish, poo, kaka, whatever). Get them a stool and help them become independent in washing their hands. Get a potty seat (or a potty, but especially with two I'd suggest a potty seat for easier cleanup) and let the one who's ready sit on it every night before/after her bath. If the other twin is interested in doing it, that's fine too. It can take time and practice for them to climb up on the toilet, feel comfortable sitting with their legs dangling, etc. Don't expect them to successfully produce right away, just give them positive feedback for sitting and trying. Eventually, when you happen to catch it at the right time, make a big deal about it! But then continue positive reinforcement just for sitting and trying.

Do this for at least a few weeks, maybe even a few months. It will educate the other twin also, who might want in on the fun. And it's not hard or frustrating for the parents! And it makes eventual toilet training go so much more smoothly when it does happen...

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:56 pm
Bumping this up.

How did it go for you OP?

I have twins that I'm going to train now. Is it possible to it without potties? I really hate them.

They are already begging me to go on the toilet and they have no problem sitting there.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:04 pm
Twin mom here- do NOT train them at the same time. What if they both need to go at the same time? Or both scream your name from different bathrooms? Or both want you to stay at the same time in different bathrooms?
Learned the hard way..

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:10 pm
amother Yellow wrote:
Twin mom here- do NOT train them at the same time. What if they both need to go at the same time? Or both scream your name from different bathrooms? Or both want you to stay at the same time in different bathrooms?
Learned the hard way..

This is exactly what I'm afraid of!!
But how does it work if they are both begging me for panties, it's not fair. That's why I was thinking of potties so it's a situation together and I can handle it.

But it really grosses me out.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:31 pm
I started out with potties but they quickly decided they want to sit on the toilet.
Simply say this week is X’s turn and next week it’s Y’s turn. You can give Y pull ups to try meanwhile.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:39 pm
We used potty’s. I found it worked best during the training because they would both need/want to go at once. When they got the hang of it we got rid of the potty’s and switched to only the toilet. I found the positive pressure from each other good and they really trained themselves because they had each other. I would have the one who actually went on the potty to get to have and give a chocolate chip to the other one, so there was a good pressure for them to want to go.
Before we actually got rid of the diapers, we just worked on sitting on the toilet, pulling up and down their pants so by the time they were ready it went really quickly and smoothly.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:42 pm
With the potty’s I also had them empty and wash out the cup part themselves (usually with me watching) so it wasn’t as gross and was part of the training process. Every few times they went I would also wipe it down with a lysol wipe.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
We used potty’s. I found it worked best during the training because they would both need/want to go at once. When they got the hang of it we got rid of the potty’s and switched to only the toilet. I found the positive pressure from each other good and they really trained themselves because they had each other. I would have the one who actually went on the potty to get to have and give a chocolate chip to the other one, so there was a good pressure for them to want to go.
Before we actually got rid of the diapers, we just worked on sitting on the toilet, pulling up and down their pants so by the time they were ready it went really quickly and smoothly.

I can really see this happening with them. So cute the chocolate chip idea.

Thanks!

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
With the potty’s I also had them empty and wash out the cup part themselves (usually with me watching) so it wasn’t as gross and was part of the training process. Every few times they went I would also wipe it down with a lysol wipe.

How old were they? I can't imagine mine washing it! Maybe spilling in the toilet and hoping half doesn't spill lol

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:47 pm
Once they were doing the toilet, how did you manage if both needed to go at same time?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:48 pm
They were about 3 months before they turned three. Even if I was there basically guiding them, I wanted them to be the ones to do it as part of going, you then clean up after. It was also exciting for them because then they got to flush the toilet. 😆

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:49 pm
I had one twin who was physically ready (dry for two hours) LONG before the other one (who was dribbling in a pullup every half hour long past what's normal) but waited and waited and REFUSED to train until the twin was ready. It was infuriating but by the time I FINALLY started to see success with the physically behind twin, the other twin trained quickly. So both twins trained super super super late but both trained in the same week (for pee. Poop is a WHOLE other megillah). MANY times over the years I tried with one twin at a time (usually the one who was physically ready but he just SAT AND SAT and refused to produce). I WANTED to train one at a time, but they decided their schedule for me. As they ALWAYS do--- lol. (They're almost 16 now).

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:50 pm
When we first started on the toilet I kept one potty out in the bathroom as a just in case and probably had to use it a few times when they still couldn’t wait and then eventually they are like any child where they can hold it for a minute while they wait.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:50 pm
Thanks so much. One more question, did you do the 3 day method?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:56 pm
Not sure what the three day method is or if I used it… I did get the book I think was called toilet training in a day and took ideas from it that I liked but didn’t base it off of one specific method. I did focus a lot about being dry or wet. I would ask them if they are dry or wet and have them feel to see throughout the day if they were dry, I think this helped give them the language to describe that they stayed dry. When they did have an accident, I would have them still go still on potty/ toilet and then take off their wet clothes and go upstairs to get a new pair of underwear themselves.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Twins, Triplets, and more