Home

Recently moved and newly preg. Need info on drs & hospitals
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 6:36 pm
I moved to Lakewood from Brooklyn and just found out I’m pregnant. This is so unexpected as we have been trying for years and had a loss a year ago. I’m clueless about hospitals, obs etc. I’m considered high risk since I’ve had two c-sections, one of them was very botched up. I’ve since had one vba2c but that’s all. So I need someone who will try to do everything possible so that I have a vaginal birth since I’m in less danger than being cut open again. But also a great surgeon in case I do need a c section. Someone who will monitor me, and take my concerns seriously. Great bedside manners. I’m used to NYU hospital which has a great maternity ward. Is there anything similar here?
I don’t have nj insurance yet. I might qualify for Medicaid but if there’s someone great who take private insurance I’ll definitely consider him/ her. Any leads will be appreciated!
Back to top

amother




Yarrow
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 6:38 pm
Dr Giovine sounds like what you’re looking for.
Back to top

mom!




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 6:58 pm
I’m thrilled with RWJ. They are considered more of a higher risk type of group but not officially for high risk patients. They might be very helpful to you. Please feel free to pm any specific questions.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 7:13 pm
Forgot to add that I prefer a dr who is on his/ her own vs a group
Back to top

amother




Dandelion
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 7:20 pm
If you are willing to travel Dr robert biem is amazing. He delivers in at st Peter's hospital in east brunswick. His practice is in plainfield
Back to top

happytobemom




 
 
 
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 7:51 pm
Another shout out for RWJ.
Not officially high risk, but deal with high risk cases. Take you very seriously, excellent bedside manner. Excellent surgeons if you need. I had numerous c-sections and was thrilled with them.
Don't take JerseyCare, only private insurance.
And the hospital compares to NY much more than other NJ hospitals.
I've used other doctors/hospitals (NY and NJ) so I've seen different sides. You can PM me if you want.
Back to top

amother




Snowflake
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 8:00 pm
the 2 below are high risk doctors with their own practice:
Dr Hakimi (delivers in Hackensack, office is in Clifton NJ) amazing bedside manners, great for vbacs.
Dr Abdelhak (delivers in Hacksnesack, office 15 min from Lakewood) more of a funny, impatient type, but extremly nice and devoted, (his co-doctors Ratzendorfer and now a lady also - has amazing bedside manners very kind and patient) - he is very pricey, but is a high risk expert.
Back to top

amother




Rainbow
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 8:39 pm
I know you said you prefer a doc vs a practice but I second Giovine. They're known to have a low rate for C-sections and they're very very caring. Giovine himself is amazing and you can see him reach time if you're willing to travel.

RWJ is also great, they don't take jerseycare so I'm not sure if that matters
Back to top

amother




Steelblue
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 10:37 pm
Super happy with RWJ
Back to top

amother




Hyssop
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 10:46 pm
amother [ Yarrow ] wrote:
Dr Giovine sounds like what you’re looking for.


Dr giovine strongly supports vbacs. Will do everything to support it. Is non alarmist. Typically very little to no vaginal tearing with him. Nurses and doulas in the hospital sing his praises.
Skilled surgeon if c-section is necessary - but he will try best to avoid it.
(Once heard from him how happy he was to have narrowly avoided c for twin babies bec he knew how much harder it would be for mother)
(I’ve had 5 vbac a with him and my one c)
His bedside manner is soft and caring. He stays very calm under pressure.
He is also skilled without technology and very in tune. Like he can better estimate baby weight at end then sonogram (the technician will even tell you that - I’m at risk for tremendous babies and his estimates are pretty accurate in determining if I should be induced)
But
He is getting very old
The other drs in the practice come and go. Unless you work it out that he’ll be there for the birth there is no guarantee.
The nurses in practice aren’t that nice (depends who)
Waiting room can sometimes take forever (earliest appts aren’t as bad)
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 10:52 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Dr giovine strongly supports vbacs. Will do everything to support it. Is non alarmist. Typically very little to no vaginal tearing with him. Nurses and doulas in the hospital sing his praises.
Skilled surgeon if c-section is necessary - but he will try best to avoid it.
(Once heard from him how happy he was to have narrowly avoided c for twin babies bec he knew how much harder it would be for mother)
(I’ve had 5 vbac a with him and my one c)
His bedside manner is soft and caring. He stays very calm under pressure.
He is also skilled without technology and very in tune. Like he can better estimate baby weight at end then sonogram (the technician will even tell you that - I’m at risk for tremendous babies and his estimates are pretty accurate in determining if I should be induced)
But
He is getting very old
The other drs in the practice come and go. Unless you work it out that he’ll be there for the birth there is no guarantee.
The nurses in practice aren’t that nice (depends who)

So if I use him there’s a big chance I’ll have one of the other drs instead of him for delivery?
Back to top

amother




Hyssop
 

Post Mon, Mar 21 2022, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So if I use him there’s a big chance I’ll have one of the other drs instead of him for delivery?


I haven’t had a baby with him in 3 years…maybe someone else can say. Back then it was hit or miss but he was on call a lot.
Back to top

amother




Tangerine
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 12:59 am
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
If you are willing to travel Dr robert biem is amazing. He delivers in at st Peter's hospital in east brunswick. His practice is in plainfield


I second Dr. Robert Beim.
Also- Saint Peter’s is in New Brunswick, not East Brunswick.
Back to top

amother




Clear
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 5:48 am
I would call a time medical referral hotline, Echo and refuah hotline for advice. They were all extremely helpful about which dr suited my situation best after my last c section.
Hatzlocha
A time medical referral 718 686 8912
Refuah resources 718 437 7474
Echo lakewood 718 859 9800


Last edited by amother on Tue, Mar 22 2022, 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Crocus
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 5:50 am
mom16A wrote:
I would call a time medical referral hotline. Echo and refuah hotline for advice. They were all extremely helpfull about which dr suited my situation best after my last c section.
Hatzlocha


So interesting.

Last time I asked for ob referrals one of those organizations told me they don't recommend obs (because it's political) and another organization me 2 names, but one of those was a name that I know has a terrible bedside manner and wouldn't use anyway.
Back to top

amother




Clear
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 6:01 am
amother [ Crocus ] wrote:
So interesting.

Last time I asked for ob referrals one of those organizations told me they don't recommend obs (because it's political) and another organization me 2 names, but one of those was a name that I know has a terrible bedside manner and wouldn't use anyway.


Thats so interesting... I spoke to them many times. Even calling back when I wasnt happy with one.
Its just that everyone has stories by different doctors. I had a terrible story by one who is mentioned here a few times. And the one im using now and bh super happy with so far people on this forum have also had experiences by...
Its all very personal based on their past medical situations.. just choosing a dr off this forum shouldn't be done without real advice from people in the field. Thats my thoughts
Back to top

amother




Lightcyan
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 6:33 am
You might want to consider staying with your doctor in NY. It is more annoying to travel for appointments and for the birth, but if you feel comfortable with a particular doc in this situation I would advise.
Most NJ insurances don't cover NY. With insurance still the same, you are lucky to have that option.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 6:39 am
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
You might want to consider staying with your doctor in NY. It is more annoying to travel for appointments and for the birth, but if you feel comfortable with a particular doc in this situation I would advise.
Most NJ insurances don't cover NY. With insurance still the same, you are lucky to have that option.

I was considering that especially since I loved my ob. He is one of a kind. He takes only cash so insurance isn’t an issue, only for the hospital stay. But we asked das torah and we’re told to stick to a local dr.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 6:41 am
amother [ Clear ] wrote:
I would call a time medical referral hotline, Echo and refuah hotline for advice. They were all extremely helpful about which dr suited my situation best after my last c section.
Hatzlocha
A time medical referral 718 686 8912
Refuah resources 718 437 7474
Echo lakewood 718 859 9800

I will do that iyh. Thank you. I tried calling rabbi aush, I think he’s affiliated with a time. He recommended my ny ob. But he said he isn’t familiar with Lakewood drs.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 6:43 am
Would it make sense to call my old obs office and ask for recommendations? It’s not like he’s desperate for patients, he’s about to retire. And we have a good relationship. Everyone in the office knows who I am the minute I walk in or when I call.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Contact Info for Baruch Perlowitz 3 Wed, Jun 29 2022, 3:21 pm View last post
Chossidmom's Spam Thread of Covid Vaccine Info - welcome 84 Tue, Jun 28 2022, 11:23 am View last post
Info about Budapest
by Hidden
5 Tue, Jun 28 2022, 5:44 am View last post
How often wash & set sheital? how often just set it?
by amother
1 Mon, Jun 27 2022, 7:15 am View last post
Anyone purchased a flip phone recently with these features??
by amother
6 Sun, Jun 26 2022, 10:27 am View last post