Home

Help asking for a raise

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women


View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 8:13 am
In the nearish future I’ll be asking for a raise. Can you help me make the most of the opportunity?

I make $47,000 on a salary. Can I ask for $20,000 -22,000 and hope for at least 10 or 15? I’ve been there a year (with ten plus years experience in other offices). I’m in an office in Lakewood where employees are hard to find. I’ve done well the past year, they appreciate my presence. I’m not a take charge creative type but I do what I was hired for really well.

If I can ask for that, how do I ask for it? What’s the best way? Should I assure them I won’t be asking for this yearly- just this once and other years I’d only ask for a much smaller raise if at all? Do I mention crazy inflation (much higher for frum community)?

All advice welcome. Thank you!
Back to top

amother




Iris
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 8:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In the nearish future I’ll be asking for a raise. Can you help me make the most of the opportunity?

I make $47,000 on a salary. Can I ask for $20,000 -22,000 and hope for at least 10 or 15? I’ve been there a year (with ten plus years experience in other offices). I’m in an office in Lakewood where employees are hard to find. I’ve done well the past year, they appreciate my presence. I’m not a take charge creative type but I do what I was hired for really well.

If I can ask for that, how do I ask for it? What’s the best way? Should I assure them I won’t be asking for this yearly- just this once and other years I’d only ask for a much smaller raise if at all? Do I mention crazy inflation (much higher for frum community)?

All advice welcome. Thank you!


A 50% raise is a crazy high jump. Is that the amount you want or you’ll be happy with 10-15k raise?
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 8:49 am
amother [ Iris ] wrote:
A 50% raise is a crazy high jump. Is that the amount you want or you’ll be happy with 10-15k raise?


I know it’s crazy high. But I’m seeing that it’s not that uncommon in Lakewood offices in today’s environment…
I would definitely be happy with 10-15 too. (But if it was 10 I would ask for something small next year as well.)
Back to top

amother




Honey
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 9:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know it’s crazy high. But I’m seeing that it’s not that uncommon in Lakewood offices in today’s environment…
I would definitely be happy with 10-15 too. (But if it was 10 I would ask for something small next year as well.)


I think asking for 50% is a lot.
How about telling them that you want a significant range in the area of 15-20k and if you can split it between 10 now and 5-10 next year? That's a lot more reasonable imo.
(I just got a raise in that range, but my salary is higher, so it a wasnt nearly a 50% increase, and I wasn't just "performing my job well", I had also taken on more responsibilities, learned a new skillset, knew my value to my employer, etc)
Back to top

amother




Tealblue
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 9:12 am
Usually for that kind if raise you need to switch companies. However it is a strange market now. Cant hurt to try if you have the confidence to ask.
Back to top

groovy1224




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 9:55 am
I would never ask for a raise like that. That's nearly a 50% raise. The only way you can ask for a raise like that is if you get an offer from another company, and you can see if your current employer wants to match it.
Back to top

stillnewlywed




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 9:58 am
You can't ask for a 50% raise. Even 20% is a lot. First find another job offer and then ask them to match.
Back to top

amother




Lemonchiffon
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 10:00 am
I would just ask for the raise.
Better then saying you got a diff offer bec then shows you aren’t loyal and they don’t need to be loyal to you.
If they don’t give it then look for diff jobs and just leave.

I work for non Jewish company and just got 25% raise. It can happen.
Back to top

justforfun87




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 10:01 am
2%-6% is standard raise. No way you are going to get that after a year. 10% is generous. you need to switch jobs to get that. One year isn't showing much of a commitment though.
Back to top

amother




Navy
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 10:04 am
Asking for a 50% raise is a bad look if you’ve been there for a year. Why did you start out at the rate you did when you have so much experience? You can ask for a big raise if you feel you deserve it, maybe 30%, and I have, but 50% is pushing it.

You have to have leverage. If you’re asking for a large rise, you need to be willing to start looking elsewhere if they give you a lot less than that. I would not focus on your own expenses though you can mention it. But they don’t owe you that. Focus on your job performance, the tasks you accomplish, how you’ve brought value to the company.

Personally I’d ask for a drop higher than you actually would like (the amount that would make you look elsewhere if you don’t get it). And stick to it. But not $10,000 more just because you’re afraid they’ll bargain you down. Ask for what you want and say “this is what I need to make this job work for me.” Be assertive.
Back to top

amother




Maize
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 10:06 am
I don't know about Lakewood, but most places won't give such a big jump in raise. Even 10K extra is asking for another almost 1/4 of your salary!!!
Back to top

amother




Lemonchiffon
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 10:09 am
I wrote above I work for non Jewish company outside lkwd. They gave me 25% over a very high salary without blinking an eye.
Companies are having a hard time finding good employees.
It can’t hurt to ask.
If they don’t give it then leave. But if happy with job might as well try.
Rules of job market 3 years ago don’t even apply anymore.

3-5% raise per year is standard. Not a raise to increase salary. There is nothing wrong with asking tor more. Just be professional. Talk about your contributions. What you added to the company.
Don’t discuss increase life costs, inflation or threaten to leave.
Back to top

Amarante




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 10:29 am
You can ask for a raise in any amount but you need to justify it and be prepared to leave if you don't get the increase.

You should go on with hard data regarding what other companies in your location for the same job are paying for someone with your skills and experience.

If the "going rate" is really that high you are probably best off looking for another job and getting your "raise" that way.

The reality is that most people only get *significant* raises by moving to another company. That is why it is so critical to get the best salary you can when you start because absent extremely unusual situations - most companies do not raise salaries by 50% or even 20% unless there is a promotion.
Back to top

amother




Seagreen
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 10:36 am
I work in Lakewood. That is a huge huge raise. Honestly, if someone would ask me for such a raise after being with the company for only 1 year I would think they are crazy.
10% raise is more fair. I got a 20% raise but that was along with a promotion - I was taking on more work.

Unless you don't care what they think of you, I would not embarrass myself like that.
Back to top

amother




Red
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 4:00 pm
As an employer who is often approached, heres my opinion.

Aside for just asking for what you want, I recommend you show your willingness to put in effort. For example, "I would like to be at 100k a year. What can I do to get there?"

Do not go get another offer, as a boss I would rather let you go to another company even if you are very good. If youre so unhappy that youre shopping around, it shows a lack of assettiveness and willingness to help the company, you have little value to the company (Your work has value but not you as a person.)You can go on indeed or speak to ppl who do exactly what you do and see what they make to see whats realistic. This way you'll be informed on the going rate.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 4:09 pm
A 50% raise after a year is not realistic. I have gone up about 60% since I started at my job 7 years ago. The raises I get are much higher then average. I also am constantly taking on new responsibilities. If I quit tomorrow my boss would have no idea what to do and still 50% would be a flat no way.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 4:46 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
As an employer who is often approached, heres my opinion.

Aside for just asking for what you want, I recommend you show your willingness to put in effort. For example, "I would like to be at 100k a year. What can I do to get there?"

Do not go get another offer, as a boss I would rather let you go to another company even if you are very good. If youre so unhappy that youre shopping around, it shows a lack of assettiveness and willingness to help the company, you have little value to the company (Your work has value but not you as a person.)You can go on indeed or speak to ppl who do exactly what you do and see what they make to see whats realistic. This way you'll be informed on the going rate.


I do not want another offer as I do not want to leave. I would stay even with no raise.

I’m thinking of asking for 5k.

I just wanted to hear from other Lakewood employees or employers because it seems the market here is very very different than most places.
Back to top

amother




Mintcream
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 6:04 pm
In general employers value loyalty so I would not suggest shopping around but rather come from a personal approach as others mentioned of “this is what I need to make for this job work for me” or “this is where I’d like to be how can I get there”

Before you speak to them write down all you accomplished in the last year, daily “menial” tasks can be written up in an impressive way such as “maintained xyz”.

I do think one year is a bit early to ask for such a raise if you are still doing the job you were hired for. However, if you were given a lot more responsibility than it can be understandable.

Think of some benefits that would make up for a lower raise than you’d like. Would child care coverage or gas coverage help? Don’t be afraid to ask for something that’s not offered in terms of benefits. Sometimes employers are more generous with benefits than straight up salary.
Back to top

amother




Ebony
 

Post Tue, Mar 22 2022, 7:46 pm
I asked for a 30% raise. I know that I am unpaid and spoke to HR about it.

I didn't get what I wanted, but I got a raise that was more than 10k
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women

Related Topics Replies Last Post
[ Poll ] Did you get a raise in the last year?
by amother
26 Wed, Aug 10 2022, 7:53 pm View last post
Amazon Addict here, asking about Aliexpress and Shein
by amother
6 Wed, Aug 10 2022, 4:59 pm View last post
Asking for a raise- only been there a couple of years
by amother
4 Wed, Aug 10 2022, 1:26 pm View last post
Asking because I really don’t know 4 Sun, Jul 31 2022, 5:38 pm View last post
I just got a raise and pay so much taxes!
by amother
10 Mon, Jul 11 2022, 8:59 pm View last post