Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you buy off your kids MM nosh?
1  2  3  Next

Do you buy off your kids nosh?
Yes  
 21%  [ 20 ]
No  
 74%  [ 71 ]
Other, please explain in a post  
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 95

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 11:54 pm
Trying to gauge how common it is. I offer my kids money or, for the younger ones, prizes to "buy" off their nosh they get for MM, from teachers, friends, neighbors. Some kids don't take me up on the offer and in that case, the nosh is theirs to eat one a day. Most kids sell me some stuff and keep some special ones they would like to eat which they keep in a bag and can take for snack to school or save for Shabbos party.

Family MM nosh, I'm in charge of and keep or dispose according to what I care to have in the house. But the nosh my kids get that's theirs, I don't feel I have a right to make it disappear when they aren't around.

What do you or your kids do with the MM nosh they personally get?

Rappel

Post Wed, Mar 23 2022, 11:58 pm
My kids are young. I made a big box of all the candy, and gave them 3 days of access. Then I tossed the rest.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 12:02 am
I don't care if my kids eat 1 treat a day. They usually forget about it and it gets thrown out before pesach.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 12:23 am
I let them eat as much candy as they wanted on purim.
Then I put away the rest of it, they didn’t ask for it and I gave them all away.

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 6:16 am
I literally don’t understand the question. Not one word makes sense to me. I don’t buy things from my kids. I also don’t dispose of (!!!!???) food. Neither of these concepts make sense to me

DrMom

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 6:18 am
I just eat it myself, unfortunately.

(only half joking)

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 6:24 am
This year each kid kept their own hoard through Shabbos party, plus one thing on Sunday, then I gave the rest to someone who collects leftover candy to be given away. I told my kids when they chose that one last treat for Sunday that the rest is going to poor people, one of them helped me drop it off.

ETA I had been telling them since Friday that we only will have the nosh until Sunday and the rest will go to poor people.

Do I really think it’s a huge tzedakah to give blue gushers to tomchei Shabbos? No. But it makes my kids feel better about it.

Sesame

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 6:40 am
No way! I explained it’s not mine, it’s theirs and I will not take it away. But it’s not for eating whenever. Can use for Shabbos party or treat etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:21 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I don't care if my kids eat 1 treat a day. They usually forget about it and it gets thrown out before pesach.

Where do they keep it? How do make sure they eat only 1 treat a day?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:22 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I let them eat as much candy as they wanted on purim.
Then I put away the rest of it, they didn’t ask for it and I gave them all away.

How old are they that they are ok with you "putting the rest away"? My kids keep track of what they get from whom and wouldn't be happy if their nosh disappeared.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:23 am
My kids got a ton. I gave them the option to trade some in and I would take them to pick out books from the bookstore. I told them it's their choice and let them keep some so they don't feel deprived. Even if they would eat it slowly, it was just way more candy than is healthy for them to eat.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:23 am
amother [ Lily ] wrote:
I literally don’t understand the question. Not one word makes sense to me. I don’t buy things from my kids. I also don’t dispose of (!!!!???) food. Neither of these concepts make sense to me

Is "trade" a better word for you? I let them trade their nosh for prizes or money. I dispose of candy, not food. Halevai they'd get food in their MM.

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:25 am
I sometimes buy nosh off my kids--like the 2nd grader whose Rebbe raffles off a 20 oz bottle of mountain dew. I do NOT need him hyper on sugar and caffeine. So I buy it off of him for a dollar or "exchange" it for a sprite. I only do this for extreme things, tho. Purim nosh is usually fine when kept in a bag in the nosh area and they pick and choose a snack or two each day.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Where do they keep it? How do make sure they eat only 1 treat a day?

They each have their own box of nosh and they ask me before taking. They usually forget about it a week after purim.

chanar

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:37 am
No… there are no rules or restrictions in our house. Guess what, my kids are not at all nosh obsessed! Here and there they find something in there that they want, they don’t even have to ask me permission to eat it! Before pesach I will empty and sort their boxes cuz by then it will long have been forgotten about…

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:41 am
chanar wrote:
No… there are no rules or restrictions in our house. Guess what, my kids are not at all nosh obsessed! Here and there they find something in there that they want, they don’t even have to ask me permission to eat it! Before pesach I will empty and sort their boxes cuz by then it will long have been forgotten about…

Just because someone makes rules doesn't mean their kids will be nosh obsessed. My children have terrible teeth and sensitive stomachs. They literally get sick from all the candy. So I give them the option to trade it in for something else special. They don't feel deprived because of it.

keym

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:50 am
Each of my kids have a large box with a lid and their name in big letters.
All of their stuff that they got from friends and teachers goes in there.
I encourage them to trade (with me) the heaviest caffeinated drinks and stickiest candy for chocolate, pastries, and non caffeinated drinks.
It's theirs and no one takes
The snacks they take 1 a day to school and can have 1 after supper for dessert until it's gone.
That takes care of the Chametz mamash.
The candy, I allow them to take 1 each Fri after licht and 1 or 2 Shabbos afternoon. Their stash usually lasts then until mid summer.

They know it's theirs, they know no one is taking it, and it helps them not need to grab everything in sight on Purim.

As they get older, they develop more sophisticated tastes. My teens all gave me their candy in exchange for "my" milk munches, brownie bars, and various yummy homemade muffins. I'm not saying chocolate and pastries are healthy. But it's not blue taffy .

watergirl

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:54 am
I voted other.

We keep CY but not all of my kids friends do. When my kids make mm for their friends, I've taught them to make sure they are giving their friends what they know they can eat. So if we give out something with peanuts, the kid who is allergic to them will get something else, etc. Because of this, it stings a bit when my kids get hersheys and the like. By now, I've taught my kids that this is just how it is and not every parent is as sensitive to this kind of thing as I am, in regards to sending everyone what I know they can eat, and my kids have gotten over it. But years ago, I started to buy their non-CY treats off them (which I bring to work for my coworkers) at 25 cents each, more for bigger items. I learned long ago (and parenting "experts" agree), you can not take something away without replacing it with something else. So this works for us.

HeartyAppetite

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How old are they that they are ok with you "putting the rest away"? My kids keep track of what they get from whom and wouldn't be happy if their nosh disappeared.

They are 5 and 3. Mitzei purim when they went to sleep I put all the nosh on a bag. The next day they didn’t ask for their Nosh. They must have forgotten about it. I waited till after shabbos and then gave them away.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 9:00 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:
They are 5 and 3. Mitzei purim when they went to sleep I put all the nosh on a bag. The next day they didn’t ask for their Nosh. They must have forgotten about it. I waited till after shabbos and then gave them away.

Makes sense. My kids are older, 12 and under. There's no way my 10 year old forgets the candy spray his rebbe gave him.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics