Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you buy off your kids MM nosh?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you buy off your kids nosh?
Yes  
 21%  [ 20 ]
No  
 74%  [ 71 ]
Other, please explain in a post  
 4%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 95

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 7:55 pm
My kids have a ton of friends and each ended up with a box of their mm. They heard of this buying off them concept and oldest asked me to buy it, I said do you think I need it? But I gave her some money and put it in our nosh cabinet for shabbos treats. My other kids still have their box and weirdly enough have been asking permission once a day (so glad they ask) if they can have something. I feel like the excitement is to own all that junk but they arent going to eat it all.
This week when my cleaning lady was here I filled her a nice bag and asked the kids who wants to donate some and they all were so happy to give some away.
They know im pesach cleaning and the boxes are gonna go any day now, they had their fun and theyll be okay with it being over at this point.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 9:14 pm
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
I don’t have too many rules. Works for us. I also don’t mind if my kids have treats. You only live once.
I do think anyone who hides/takes/throws away nosh from their kids mm without their knowledge and consent is a thief.

yes!
People dont realise that geneivah ALSO APPLIES TO LITTLE PEOPLE TOO!
I cringe every time I hear teachers say they took something away from a kid. Like what! I warned her! Honey warning im gonna take away your purse if you wear it tomorrow!

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 9:58 pm
I voted no. I think this mindset breeds an unhealthy attitude towards food. I agree with what mommy3b2c wrote.

gr82no

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 10:07 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
yes!
People dont realise that geneivah ALSO APPLIES TO LITTLE PEOPLE TOO!
I cringe every time I hear teachers say they took something away from a kid. Like what! I warned her! Honey warning im gonna take away your purse if you wear it tomorrow!

Most teachers return the Stuff and if they don’t it might be because they forgot about it and can’t find it.
But thanks for reminding me that I need to return something tomorrow- Friday is return day. I don’t touch the stuff and I warned them not to bring it to school and definitely not out of their bag

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 10:53 pm
I'm so not into "buying " kids nosh or limiting it to a certain amount of days. On purim the kids eat whatever. Then it all sits in a big bag on the desk. Right out in the open. Can they take? Yes but they don't because they know it's for dessert or shabbos or whatever. The kids don't just help themselves to nosh but at the same time it's not hidden away or made a big deal of. I don't want to foster a craving for it and half the time they don't even finish their nosh when they have it for dessert. Yes, some of the really poison stuff was disposed of- they are young enough they they don't care/notice and we have the rest until it runs out. Oh and nosh is eaten *with* dinner if they want not after it ( so none of the finish your plate and I'll give you x nonsense)
It contributes to the no-big-deal mindset and seems to work.

keym

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 8:54 am
I'm going to add that I really differentiate between the specific candy spray or whatever that my kid got from his Rebbi or Morah versus that bag of assorted zazas and laffy taffies that he got from all his shalach manos put together.
I don't allow my kids to sell or trade in the large special treats from specific people. I think they'll come to regret it and be way too resentful. That was their special thing from Rebbi.
Assorted random candies or nosh, they're less connected to and less protective over and may be willing to sell or trade.

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 10:10 am
amother [ Steel ] wrote:
I'm so not into "buying " kids nosh or limiting it to a certain amount of days. On purim the kids eat whatever. Then it all sits in a big bag on the desk. Right out in the open. Can they take? Yes but they don't because they know it's for dessert or shabbos or whatever. The kids don't just help themselves to nosh but at the same time it's not hidden away or made a big deal of. I don't want to foster a craving for it and half the time they don't even finish their nosh when they have it for dessert. Yes, some of the really poison stuff was disposed of- they are young enough they they don't care/notice and we have the rest until it runs out. Oh and nosh is eaten *with* dinner if they want not after it ( so none of the finish your plate and I'll give you x nonsense)
It contributes to the no-big-deal mindset and seems to work.

We do this too. We sent quite of a bit in to school for shabbos ima today (my 7 year old was so excited to share with her friends! ) and will likely have some for shabbos party tomorrow. But candy etc isn’t that precious in our home. It’s in a snack bin in the kitchen (out in the open) but they know they have to ask before taking

amother
Indigo

Post Sat, Mar 26 2022, 11:23 pm
gr82no wrote:
Most teachers return the Stuff and if they don’t it might be because they forgot about it and can’t find it.
But thanks for reminding me that I need to return something tomorrow- Friday is return day. I don’t touch the stuff and I warned them not to bring it to school and definitely not out of their bag

I guess you didnt read the last part I warned her! Honey warning im gonna take away your purse if you wear it tomorrow!
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics