Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Alexander girl name
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Ladybug1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:27 pm
etky wrote:
Alexandra/Oleksandra (or Sasha for short), is a lovely name, but it is not Hebrew - although it is a very common name now in Israel, mainly if not exclusively among people from Slavic countries.

oddly, alexander was adopted as one of the few officially "jewish" names not originating from Hebrew due to the actions of Alexander the Great who spared the Jewish people. its an interesting and surprising story of an atypical "jewish" name which was actually greek in origin.

Ladybug1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:30 pm
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Why don’t you name your daughter after a female relative? I think it’s a little off to name her after your grandfather and then “Dr.“ the name to make it work. My opinion is save the name if you ever have a son you’ll use it.

I don't think I will be able to have another child and there is no one else to name after my grandfather, so im trying to do the best I can to honor him although I've heard it is preferable to name a female after a female and vice versa.

Ladybug1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:31 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Definitely not Shimona

Shira

Shalhevet

Ahuva

Atara

can you please explain your reservations with Shimona? I'm trying to understand what kind of a feeling it evokes.

Ladybug1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:34 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
We called my daughter Nechama after my father. His name is Menahem. I didn’t like Menucha back then. Now I like Menucha

I love nechama and menucha and menahem. Smile I love old fashioned strong classic names like that.

Ladybug1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:37 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Your information is not fully accurate.
https://www.chabad.org/library.....e.htm

exactly. Alexander is super jewish. Just not typically rooted in Torah or Hebrew. I don't know any other Jewish names like that...

Ladybug1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:38 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Just name after a woman

no more women to name after and this will be the only child to be named after my grandfather who was an amazing person. I want to honor his memory. There most likley won't be any other grandchildren after this.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:38 pm
Ladybug1 wrote:
oddly, alexander was adopted as one of the few officially "jewish" names not originating from Hebrew due to the actions of Alexander the Great who spared the Jewish people. its an interesting and surprising story of an atypical "jewish" name which was actually greek in origin.

Right. It's also where the Yiddish name Sendor comes from.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:41 pm
Ladybug1 wrote:
can you please explain your reservations with Shimona? I'm trying to understand what kind of a feeling it evokes.

Im not that poster and it’s hard to put into words but I just cringe at the idea of choosing such an unusual name. I’ve never even heard it let alone met anyone with that name it sounds made up. We also don’t believe that naming after the opposite gender or changing a name so significantly has any meaning for the person who died.

Ladybug1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:42 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
Right. It's also where the Yiddish name Sendor comes from.

My grandfather (Alexander) was nicknamed Shandor (he was Hungarian). In Hungary his Jewish name was Shimon Volf. But his Bar Mitzvah announcement (in NY) read "Shimon Zeev". I was surprised to see this as I never heard him called Ze'ev and I didn't know it was in fashion at that time (pre wwII) to translate yiddish names to hebrew.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 2:59 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Im not that poster and it’s hard to put into words but I just cringe at the idea of choosing such an unusual name. I’ve never even heard it let alone met anyone with that name it sounds made up. We also don’t believe that naming after the opposite gender or changing a name so significantly has any meaning for the person who died.

I've heard of people with the name Shimona, Yosepha, Yakova,Yardena. How is it really any different than the name Yehudis which obviously is derived from the male name Yehuda? That was probably uncommon at one point but it certainly became mainstream millenia ago. Not to mention Gabriella, Rafaela, Daniella. All mainstream now and nobody would bat an eye.
ETA and where do you think the English names Simone, Josephine, and Jordana come from?

happytobemom

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 3:33 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
We called my daughter Nechama after my father. His name is Menahem. I didn’t like Menucha back then. Now I like Menucha

Nechama is actually closer in meaning to Menachem

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 3:56 pm
Alexandra Simone: English name

Aliza Sima: Hebrew name

devorah1231

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 4:15 pm
Shimona is very clearly shimon with an a at the end. It doesn't sound like a girls name. If I were you, would go with Sima or pick an attribute of your grandfather and use that as a name instead. Names like Shimona, Michaela, Azriela, etc just sound off to me. Sounds like something someone who was picking their own name (baal teshuva, giyores) would use, ie looked in the Torah, found some person they admired, and tacked on an a.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 5:00 pm
devorah1231 wrote:
Shimona is very clearly shimon with an a at the end. It doesn't sound like a girls name. If I were you, would go with Sima or pick an attribute of your grandfather and use that as a name instead. Names like Shimona, Michaela, Azriela, etc just sound off to me. Sounds like something someone who was picking their own name (baal teshuva, giyores) would use, ie looked in the Torah, found some person they admired, and tacked on an a.

Simone=Shimona
I kinda doubt you'd give 2 thoughts to meeting a secular women named Simone....

Anyway I've never met a BT or giyores who chose a male figure for their Jewish name. I'd always assume someone with that name was named after a male ancestor. But even if they did, so what? Are you saying there's something wrong with having an obvious "BT type of name" like it's embarrassing to have people assume you are a BT?

Here are some more examples of female names derived from male ones:
Tzivia, Uriella, Meira, Tziona

Ladybug1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 5:35 pm
devorah1231 wrote:

Interesting comment. I actually didn’t know that Shimona was not a “real” name. I’m not sure what I will do but it’s good to know this.

Ladybug1

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 5:37 pm
amother [ Nasturtium ] wrote:
Alexandra Simone: English name

Aliza Sima: Hebrew name

I can’t do Aliza because it’s a close relative but it’s a good suggestion and I’m going to go further down that road as I think about this. Thank you!

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 5:43 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
The article you linked is specifically about naming a boy Alexander. The boy's name Alexander is a Jewish name. No connection to naming a girl Alexandra. If you're unsure and it's important to you to name your daughter a Jewish name, ask your lor.

I believe shlomtzion’s name was shlomtzion Alexandra, so it seems to me that maybe it wasn’t just boys, although as a boys name it was more popular (and probably more publicized.)

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 5:51 pm
Ladybug1 wrote:

It's weird like avrahama would be weird

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 5:59 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
It's weird like avrahama would be weird

I have heard of all the "a" names listed except Uriella--perhaps that was meant as Ariella?

I think the reason for the lack of Avrahamas is possibly that people will take the Avi of that and go for Avigayil or some other Avi feminine name.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Fri, Mar 25 2022, 6:04 pm
Ladybug1 wrote:
My grandfather (Alexander) was nicknamed Shandor (he was Hungarian). In Hungary his Jewish name was Shimon Volf. But his Bar Mitzvah announcement (in NY) read "Shimon Zeev". I was surprised to see this as I never heard him called Ze'ev and I didn't know it was in fashion at that time (pre wwII) to translate yiddish names to hebrew.

It's not translating yiddish to lashon kodesh and it's not a fashion. It's the opposite actually. His name was Shimon Zev, nickname Shimon Volf. 99% of volfs are named Zev by the bris and then called volf, volvy, velvel or whatever other yiddish nickname is common. Like calling Tzvi's by the name Hersh. Some Tzvis are named Tzvi Hersh but others are just Tzvi but still called Hersh like your grandfather's Volf for Zev.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names