Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
If you drive to work...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 4:48 am
How long is your commute? Ive just started a new job and the commute is killing me. I know I will get used to it, and even though I am working full time 9-6, the commute home is what is really wiping me out at the end of the day. Its 45 - 60 minutes home, depending on the traffic. And no, there is no bus from where I live to where I work, so this is the only option.

How long is your commute, if you drive?

salt

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 4:57 am
I usually drive to work. No traffic - 10 mins. Lots of traffic - can take 25 mins at most.

When I take the bus it's about 1.5 hrs - it's two busses and the bus route has more traffic.

esuss

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 6:05 am
30-45 ministers for me depending on traffic. I listen to music and podcasts. Wind down time for me. But I don’t work as many hours as you do.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 6:25 am
I drive. My commute to s about the same. I don't mind it very much when there's no traffic. When I have to avoid traffic and accidents and go alternate routes, it's much more tiring.

amother
Thistle

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 6:56 am
When I first got married my commute was 1.5-2 hours. Clearly didn't last long there. New place was 30-45 minutes. Didn't love it but was a nice chance to decompress.
Now it's 5 min Smile

Could you find a friend to carpool with? Are there people you can call while you drive?

watergirl

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 7:04 am
25 minutes each way.

singleagain

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 7:06 am
30 mins. Longer in traffic... Up to hour

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 8:12 am
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
When I first got married my commute was 1.5-2 hours. Clearly didn't last long there. New place was 30-45 minutes. Didn't love it but was a nice chance to decompress.
Now it's 5 min Smile

Could you find a friend to carpool with? Are there people you can call while you drive?
[quote]Nobody from work lives where I do.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 8:27 am
Mine is about the same, give or take traffic. It's the opposite direction of most commutes so usually not too bad, traffic wise. I go really early in the morning. In the afternoon it can be longer, and Since I have little kids at home, I think of it as my "me" time-- I listen to podcasts and music that I wouldn't get to listen to with my family, and sometimes I snack on whatever I don't want to share. I have thought about looking for a job closer to home, but I'm happy there and it's hard to start over. Is there any way you could adjust your hours to go earlier and come home earlier? You would avoid the peak rush hours, which might take some of the stress out of it.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 8:38 am
My commute has recently become over an hour drive because of increased traffic and yes it's very tiring! I try to listen to interesting podcasts and good music, and have something to drink or eat in the car, sometimes make some phone calls

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 8:54 am
I used to work for a visiting nurse agency and spent many hours in the car. It is a great opportunity to call one’s mom(mil)/grandma (if you are blessed to have one). It is quite uninterrupted time when it’s not like you should be more involved with your children or housekeeping.
You can also adopt a bubbie, catch up with friends who are SAHM with infants and happy to shmooze while nursing, people in different time zones, or listen to shuiring.

I no longer have a commute and I am so thankful that I can work longer boy and still get home fast and not need the coverage. But I loved my car time.
(Full disclaimer-I didn’t have aggressive drivers and aggravating traffic)

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 9:06 am
I have had all kinds of commutes and a shorter commute absolutely improves ones quality of life.
After college I got a job about 20 minutes from my home. It was very convenient. But I was single, living at home and I wanted to move up the corporate ladder.
Then I worked in Manhattan taking trains, buses, sometimes 45 minutes sometimes 1.5 hours. Meanwhile I got married and started having children. It was very. very hard. The salary was great.
Then, when I had multiple young children, I got a job closer to home. Paid less but the commute was about 20 minutes driving each way. I was able to go shopping and run errands during my lunch break. Clothes for everyone and all my non-perishables, dry cleaners, post office, library. That seriously reduced my errand load for after work and weekends. I was able to run home to open the door for repairmen.
Also, through this job I drove 20 minutes to my infant's daycare and nursed. I pumped other times during the day.
Then I got a job 10 minutes away. After that, I was able to move that same job to work from home. This is literally the best job ever for me.
I am getting ready to retire in a handful of years so this is with wisdom of almost 40 years of full time work.
Bottom line, don't underestimate the benefits working closer to home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics