Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Is hitting okay?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

If someone says something that offends you or someone close to you, how do you react?
I hit them  
 2%  [ 3 ]
I use my words  
 69%  [ 84 ]
Other  
 28%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 121

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 9:48 am
First of all op, can you find one article that says what Will Smith did was ok? Just 1 please.

Secondly, the academy awards have been going downhill for awhile. Nobody's watching it anymore. I have no way of knowing whether that fiasco was staged or not, but it certainly should be considered as a possibility.

My guess would be that it was staged.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 9:53 am
Rutabaga wrote:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/will-smith-chris-rock-oscars-1235120096/amp/

Hitting is assault and I am in no way justifying it. However, from what I just read, Will Smith was defending his wife against more than just a bad joke. The comedian didn't just insult a bad haircut, he made fun of a woman who had to shave her head because of a medical condition called alopecia. That really isn't so funny.

I agree with you that a comedian shouldn't make fun of someone's medical condition at an event like that. (The only reason I'm specifying "an event like that" is because I've seen roasts where nothing is off the table, and the jokes are all really below the belt, but everyone who attends knows what they're signing up for. In this case, Jada was simply attending an awards show and didn't sign up to be mocked for having a medical condition.)

But that's not really the issue here. The physical violence is. I think Will Smith undermined that being the issue by doing something even more wrong.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 9:53 am
A lot of people justify hitting their kids (oh, my bad, I mean “spanking”) 🤷‍♀️ These are two adults who, at the end of the day, will have more money than I will ever have and move on. I really don’t care.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 9:56 am
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
First of all op, can you find one article that says what Will Smith did was ok? Just 1 please.

Secondly, the academy awards have been going downhill for awhile. Nobody's watching it anymore. I have no way of knowing whether that fiasco was staged or not, but it certainly should be considered as a possibility.

I really don't think it was staged. First because of Rock's reaction and the way his facial muscles move after Smith was cursing him out. Almost like he was very sad and hurt actually but was fighting it and trying to smile. I get that actors are actors but I think that was real.

Second because Smith made his Oscar acceptance speech about this and why would he dedicate his award that actors work their whole lives to achieve to some dumb bit?

Third, because apparently Smith has been working really hard in the media over the past couple of years trying to rehab his image. Why would he agree to do something that would make him look violent and unhinged?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 9:57 am
His lame excuse was that “love makes you do crazy things”. 🥴🥴

Last edited by flowerpower on Mon, Mar 28 2022, 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total

sequoia

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 10:15 am

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 11:25 am
I saw a funny tweet about the incident:

"Will Smith will not tolerate people making jokes about his wife. He will however tolerate other men having relations with his wife. This is a man of principle".

For those that don't know it seems Will Smith and his wife have an open relationship and allow each other to be with other people.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:18 pm

Most articles are not about whether a particular action was right or wrong. There are people saying it was okay. Now, it makes sense that there are people who would want to stage something like this, but why would the people who come off looking bad want to participate?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:59 pm
I don't get the joke or what was offensive. GI Jane 2 can't wait to see it.... what does that mean exactly and why rude? Someone help.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:35 pm

All over ppl are defending will and seeing him in the right. Therapists all over Instagram discussing this are being called our for it.
How black women have always been disrespected and no one ever defends them. He was right to defend his wife’s honor.
Defending a wife is the standard.
This seems to be a prevailing attitude at the moment.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:37 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I don't get the joke or what was offensive. GI Jane 2 can't wait to see it.... what does that mean exactly and why rude? Someone help.

She has a shaved head.
GI Jane has a shaved head.

She recently came out with alopecia. Very few ppl know. She said that is why she shaves her head.

Ppl thought he was disrespecting her condition.
And even not he was disrespecting the hair style of a black women
And therefore deserved it.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:38 pm
flowerpower wrote:
His lame excuse was that “love makes you do crazy things”. 🥴🥴

Isn’t that what men who abuse their wives say

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:46 pm
There is an episode on Parenthood where a father punches a guy in the grocery for calling his autistic son a [slow person]. If you watch it, it super satisfying. And you would totally understand the father's moral dilemma.

I'm not saying it's right I'm just saying it can be understandable.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:48 pm
singleagain wrote:

I was honestly surprised that Chris Rock was even there considering that he was fired from being host a few years ago.

Are you thinking of Kevin Hart? I don't believe anything like that ever happened with Chris Rock.

For many reasons, there's no way this was scripted.

singleagain

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:50 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
Are you thinking of Kevin Hart? I don't believe anything like that ever happened with Chris Rock.

For many reasons, there's no way this was scripted.

Oh you're right I got them mixed up totally got them mixed up.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:53 pm
I’ll be the outlier here.. While I certainly am not condoning violence, sometimes a good smack is warranted. Someone turning your wife’s sensitive medical condition into comedy fodder is a fair target for a good slap if there ever was one..

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:56 pm
Will Smith didn’t hit anyone. It was quote clearly staged.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:59 pm
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
She has a shaved head.
GI Jane has a shaved head.

She recently came out with alopecia. Very few ppl know. She said that is why she shaves her head.

Ppl thought he was disrespecting her condition.
And even not he was disrespecting the hair style of a black women
And therefore deserved it.

Thank you. I had watched the clip and didn’t even realize she had a shaved head. Thought her hair was tightly slicked back. Maybe if I had seen her from another angle, or a bigger screen. I completely missed that.

icedcoffee

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 3:00 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Will Smith didn’t hit anyone. It was quote clearly staged.

You can clearly see him make contact with Chris Rock. What makes you think it was clearly staged? Everything I've seen indicates completely otherwise.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 3:00 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I’ll be the outlier here.. While I certainly am not condoning violence, sometimes a good smack is warranted. Someone turning your wife’s sensitive medical condition into comedy fodder is a fair target for a good slap if there ever was one..

He would’ve been the bigger man had he silently stood up and walked out with his wife.

Is that what we are teaching the impressionable young watchers.
That if someone is silts you are the ones you love yo hit them.
That violence is the answer.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics