Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Is hitting okay?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

If someone says something that offends you or someone close to you, how do you react?
I hit them  
 2%  [ 3 ]
I use my words  
 69%  [ 84 ]
Other  
 28%  [ 34 ]
Total Votes : 121

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 3:01 pm
Some are actually saying it could’ve been a compliment as GI Jane is a really strong women.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 3:13 pm
amother [ Thistle ] wrote:
He would’ve been the bigger man had he silently stood up and walked out with his wife.

Is that what we are teaching the impressionable young watchers.
That if someone is silts you are the ones you love yo hit them.
That violence is the answer.

As if these people are supposed to teach and set an example in the first place.. I’m way past having that expectation from them. Just saying that if there ever was an adult deserving of a good slap, this was one of them. And in a certain way I admire him for instinctively standing up for his wife and settling the score on the spot.

I think the word “violence” is being overplayed here. Save that for real beatings and gun violence. Again I don’t condone this behavior, but everyone chill. It was a simple slap in the face. Humiliating and stinging and out of social norms. but there is enough real violence out there to be called out.

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 5:06 pm
I don’t think it’s staged

The academy 'condemns the actions of Mr. Smith at last night's show'

amother
Taupe

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 5:19 pm
If your child had hair loss due to alopecia- or another noticeable physical issue- that they were self conscious about, how would you feel if someone made fun of them to your face and theirs?
I might not slap them, but it would take a lot a lot of restraint.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 5:19 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
There is an episode on Parenthood where a father punches a guy in the grocery for calling his autistic son a [slow person]. If you watch it, it super satisfying. And you would totally understand the father's moral dilemma.

I'm not saying it's right I'm just saying it can be understandable.

Hitting should never be an option. Period.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 5:58 pm
I think he deserved the best actor award.
People are still debating if it was staged or not.
Wink

kenz

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 6:04 pm
Jewishmom8 wrote:
it is a horrible thing to do.
and its a sign of the culture.
if you equate words and getting offended to violence this may be an outcome.
the culture cancels people who are" offensive" He got offended.
I didn''t watch it. I think I read that CR insulted his wifes hair.
its a joke. that is why they said comedy is becoming a dead art.
people can't handle anything anymore.
he got so angy and up in arms from a joke. but we cant makes jokes anymore.
we need to be scared to speak...because people will get mad and then what....
we are on a bad road...

I don't condone the reaction, but it was more than a joke about "his wife's hair." The woman has what to many is a manageable condition, while to many others it can be devastating. Plus she's in the public eye, so it's gotta be tough on her. Again, WS shouldn't have swung at CR, but CR was out of line at the least, disgustingly offensive at worst.

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 6:40 pm
amother [ DarkOrange ] wrote:
I saw a funny tweet about the incident:

"Will Smith will not tolerate people making jokes about his wife. He will however tolerate other men having relations with his wife. This is a man of principle".

For those that don't know it seems Will Smith and his wife have an open relationship and allow each other to be with other people.

Not particularly funny.

There have been rumors about their open relationship for years. They are both adults, and that is up to them. Its obviously a violation of halacha and what all of us believe in, but we also don't believe in forcing Judaism's mores on others.

Pinkett Smith has also talked about her alopecia for some time, although Rock might not have known. It is ironic, as he made a documentary about black women's hair.

One way or another, it is offensive to make a comment about a person's appearance in that way. Smith was 100% right to defend her. He was 100% wrong in doing so through physical violence. And while a very very small number of people have defended him, most have not.

There ARE funny tweets about the incident, by the way. "I got in one little fight and my mom got scared She said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air"

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 6:47 pm
Jewishmom8 wrote:
it is a horrible thing to do.
and its a sign of the culture.
if you equate words and getting offended to violence this may be an outcome.
the culture cancels people who are" offensive" He got offended.
I didn''t watch it. I think I read that CR insulted his wifes hair.
its a joke. that is why they said comedy is becoming a dead art.
people can't handle anything anymore.
he got so angy and up in arms from a joke. but we cant makes jokes anymore.
we need to be scared to speak...because people will get mad and then what....
we are on a bad road...

So if at a school-wide assembly, the menahel made a "joke" about how your daughter always looks a bit messy -- I mean, would it kill her to brush her hair once a month -- would you similarly argue that its a "joke," and that if it bothered your daughter, she was just an evil woke person.

What if the "joke" were about a child who lost her hair to chemo. HIL-AR-IOUS?

These things just plain old are not funny. Chris Rock, or whomever wrote the joke, was wrong. Which does not make Will Smith right.

Genius

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 7:19 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
So if at a school-wide assembly, the menahel made a "joke" about how your daughter always looks a bit messy -- I mean, would it kill her to brush her hair once a month -- would you similarly argue that its a "joke," and that if it bothered your daughter, she was just an evil woke person.

These things just plain old are not funny. Chris Rock, or whomever wrote the joke, was wrong. Which does not make Will Smith right.

It’s not the same as a school wide assembly. Anyone who goes knows that jokes are made, usually on somebody’s cheshban. He may have gone too far this time, but your examples are a lot harsher than the story that actually happened.

amother
Begonia

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 8:12 pm

One way or another, it is offensive to make a comment about a person's appearance in that way. Smith was 100% right to defend her. He was 100% wrong in doing so through physical violence. And while a very very small number of people have defended him, most have not.

Why did he laugh at the joke first? He only got mad after seeing his wife's reaction.
He thought it was funny too.
What a hypocrite.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 8:39 pm
amother [ Begonia ] wrote:
Why did he laugh at the joke first? He only got mad after seeing his wife's reaction.
He thought it was funny too.
What a hypocrite.

It may have been instinctive, a natural reflex. I know people who resort to nervous laughter as a first response when something upsetting or embarrassing occurs. I wouldn't fault him for that.
However, the subsequent hitting and cursing were not acceptable or appropriate.
And the "joke" wasn't either. I'll assume Chris Rock didn't know about her alopecia. But jokes about someone's personal appearance are never funny. Imagine if he'd made fun of someone for being overweight. I doubt too many people would defend that as ok.

hello3

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 8:44 pm
I mistakenly chose “I hit” lol how can I remove it?

I would never ever hit!! That’s a psychotic thing to do

WhatFor

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 8:58 pm
hello3 wrote:
I mistakenly chose “I hit” lol how can I remove it?

I would never ever hit!! That’s a psychotic thing to do

lol I was wondering who voted that!

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 9:29 pm
amother [ Chestnut ] wrote:
It may have been instinctive, a natural reflex. I know people who resort to nervous laughter as a first response when something upsetting or embarrassing occurs. I wouldn't fault him for that.
However, the subsequent hitting and cursing were not acceptable or appropriate.
And the "joke" wasn't either. I'll assume Chris Rock didn't know about her alopecia. But jokes about someone's personal appearance are never funny. Imagine if he'd made fun of someone for being overweight. I doubt too many people would defend that as ok.

Not to make this political but the left comedians had no issue making fun of a certain president's appearance.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 9:44 pm
The joke was awful, plain awful. Horrible to make fun of a woman with a medical condition. Looks like this wasn't the first time, they have a history, which might have explained the reaction from Will
This doesn't justify the slapping though, Will should have sit tight and let the news cancel Chris Rock for being a jerk.

amother
Snowflake

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 10:21 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Not to make this political but the left comedians had no issue making fun of a certain president's appearance.

The right does the same, lots of people make jokes about appearance.

Jewishmom8

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 4:09 am

first of all its not the same thing at all.
this is not a principal student situation.
these are peers . at an awards show. Where is normal to make jokes.
CR is a comedian. His job is to make jokes. If he is bad offensive and bombs that is the punishment. People will think he is horrible and not watch him again. He would have been the fool. instead...
Will smith has a huge following.
He did enormous damage to all the youth who look up to him.
instead of handling it with class he used his fists.
very sad to watch the culture go down the tubes.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 4:31 am
Normal adults don't just go around slugging anybody who offends them.

What kind of society would we have if that were the case?

hodeez

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 5:36 am
DrMom wrote:
Normal adults don't just go around slugging anybody who offends them.

What kind of society would we have if that were the case?

This is the darkest timeline
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics