Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Food shortages

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:39 am
Can we please keep the politics out of this. reasons for this good or bad etc. I don't want to get into that mess.
Have other people been reading that in the next 6 months there will be a world food shortage.
Due to all the wheat and corn the world gets from Russia. And they are the biggest world provider of fertilizer.
I have friends that are slowly storing food.
I have a big family and I am not sure where to keep it or what to keep.
Is anyone else doing this?

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:42 pm
bump
anyone?

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:52 pm
I will be curious to see what others respond. This is always a difficult topic for me, vacillating between wanting to be smart and prepared just in case, and not worrying about it and having total trust that Hashem is taking care of my needs.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:53 pm
The wheat should be being planted at the moment in Ukraine, and the fields are empty. If this war ends soon there will still be time to plant a crop.

If not we'll have to cope. I doubt that wealthy countries will be starving, but options might become more limited. Still, it's rare in human history that we've enjoyed the level of plenty that we've had in recent times. Don't forget that trade with the Soviet Union was minimal during the Cold War, and we all survived.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:55 pm
I'm planning to overbuy pasta, flour, rice, barley, beans... after Pesach. But they have to be stored carefully to protect from bugs and rodents.

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:00 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I'm planning to overbuy pasta, flour, rice, barley, beans... after Pesach. But they have to be stored carefully to protect from bugs and rodents.

If you have the storage space, there's no reason why you can't buy kitniyot now.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:05 pm
Russia is not the biggest provider of fertilizer. China is.

Marathon

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:11 pm
I dont understand why the US cant start planting all the food we need so we wont be stuck with so many shortages

I am not keeping stock. #1 I dont have the space and #2 Hashem will help We'll find what we need when the time comes I dont believe panic buying is ever the way to go

flowerpower

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 2:17 pm
Nopes. Not scared somehow. Ill buy other stuff if anything...

Raisin

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 3:23 pm
Elfrida wrote:
If you have the storage space, there's no reason why you can't buy kitniyot now.

we sell chametz anyway but if you don't normally I think it would be a good plan to buy in this case. Food is more important anyway than expensive whiskey. I'm nervous to wait until after pesach. Shops here are already looking pretty empty of flour. The supermarket near me was entirely out of ALL flour today. On friday between me and my husband we went to about 6 different supermarkets looking for bread flour to make challa...finally found some.

sweetdimples

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 3:24 pm
Bitachon!

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 4:04 pm
We should take action. Jerusalem had storehouses for the churban.

Even Yosef prepared for the coming famine instead of being a fatalist and leaving it all to God. He saved the world from hunger.

We should discuss practical ways of storing food and how much of it.

GLUE

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 4:30 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Don't forget that trade with the Soviet Union was minimal during the Cold War, and we all survived.

That was the time when all flour was Yoshem because there was no market. The federal government was buying wheat from the farmers because they could not sell it. They were also paying farmers not to plant. When the US opened up it's market to the Soviet Union the price of flour went up. Women went to D.C. to complain that they could not afford flour.

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 4:43 pm
imorethanamother wrote:

Even Yosef prepared for the coming famine instead of being a fatalist and leaving it all to God. He saved the world from hunger.

how do you think that we can store food. How would that practically work for a larger family?
Like cases of rice and pasta? Cans of corn? Like how much? Cases of flour?

GLUE

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 6:41 pm
imorethanamother wrote:

If Hashem does not bless your business it's workers toil in vain-I think that's the quote

All the storehouses did not help with the Churban because Hashem did not want it to.

Hashem wanted Yosef to prepare for the famine so He blessed Yosef work.

Does Hashem want us to stack pile food? I don't know but, you never lose by giving out.

frumie123

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 4:53 pm
It's so hard to imagine there being a shortage. BH we live in a world with such an abundance of food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics