Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Estimate amount spent on clothing per child, and yourself
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 11:23 am
DH is constantly constantly harrasing me that I spend too much on clothing. I try my best but things cost money! I mainly shop online, and not really in Jewish stores. I have three little children aged 6 and 3 and 1. I try to do hand me downs as much as possible for my baby.

For myself is another story. I find that I keep needing new clothing and it doesnt last because I am either pregnant, nursing/postpartum, or my clothing from before pregnancy doesn't fit, and when and if I finally fit into my clothes again, they are from 4 winters ago and hoeplessly out of style.

Whats a normal yearly amount to spend on clothing per person?

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 11:43 am
How does this help you?
I spend a lot but I can afford it.
Only you know what you can spend

imaima

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 11:47 am
Prices are rising around the globe. Your dh should realize it.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 11:47 am
Rough estimates
2 yo girl - $100 per season
7 yo boy - $150 per season
10 yo girl - $300 per season (definitely the hardest and most expensive to dress)
14 yo boy - $500 a year (bought him most of his clothes before mesivta started and haven't really spent much since then)
Me - $300 a year

I am very cheap and frugal when it comes to clothing shopping. My kids always look clean and put together, but definitely not the most fashion conscious around

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 11:52 am
It doesn't matter what other people spend. You will probably get a huge range of answers. What matters is your specific budget and how much you can allocate for clothing.

Personally, I spend very, very little because I absolutely hate shopping. It's possible that if I enjoyed it I would spend more. I also do not care to wear something from 4 years ago (or more) as long as it fits well and is not ruined.

But again that's not really relevant to you. If spending a lot on clothing is important to you, and your budget does not allow for it, then maybe you can increase your work hours a little or take a side job, to give yourself some more spending money

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 11:57 am
That number will vary greatly depending on many factors. For example, I probably spend $100 annually on my toddler. Waaay more on my teen girl.

What works for me is a weekly budget that goes for anything flexible excluding food. So this weekly amount covers shoes, clothes, diapers, disposables, trips, birthday gifts, etc etc.

If I know I want to do a shopping trip, I have to plan for it. Spend less and roll over the extra.

This method takes out the "you should be spending $x on clothes". It transforms it into you have $x to spend. Prioritize it how you see fit.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 12:35 pm
Thanks for all the replies. Thankfully, we are currently making more than we spend and do put a nice amount into savings toward a down payment.
So its not an issue of how much we can afford, but rather how much makes sense to allocate toward clothing.

amother above, how in the world do you spend $100 on a 2 year old girl?? Even at target, sweaters/tshirts are $6-10, leggings $5. 2 shabbos outfits at $30 a piece. Then she needs shoes/sneakers ($40 at zara), a coat ($40 old navy), pajamas, underwear, socks/tights, crocs, shabbos shoes/sandals etc.....

happy7

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 12:43 pm
Most people underestimate what they spend on clothing.
Even for my baby, I spend a few hundred dollars a year. Probably $300 a season, and I buy mostly sale items. But shoes, socks, undershirts, pajamas, sweatshirt, bathing suit… it all adds up.
I am a very careful shopper. But clothing adds to much more than people calculate.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 12:48 pm
Quote:
Even at target, sweaters/tshirts are $6-10, leggings $5. 2 shabbos outfits at $30 a piece. Then she needs shoes/sneakers ($40 at zara), a coat ($40 old navy), pajamas, underwear, socks/tights, crocs, shabbos shoes/sandals etc.....

We obviously have very different spending habits...
6 tshirts @ $5 - $30
6 leggings @ $5 - $30 (I'm actually not buying any new ones for the summer, she's still wearing the same ones)
2 shabbos dresses from Shein @ $10 each - $20
Shabbos shoes - $10 target
Sneakers - $10 target
Socks - $10
That adds up to $110 but there are some things I don't have to buy for summer and winter like socks and leggings. Itemizing it like that, I do probably spend closer to $250 over the year rather than $200

Pajamas, underwear, tights, crocs and winter coat I kept all from my older daughter - so didn't spend a penny on those (and most of those were hand me downs). Yes, I have no issue putting on pajamas from 8 years ago

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 1:33 pm
My kids around $500 each full wardrobe including new shoes
Myself $1,000

Edited- this is per season so times x2 a year

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 3:05 pm
Around $450 per child My oldest is 7(boys a bit less- they get one suit and three shirts as opposed to 3 separate shabbos outfits...)
Me about $700+. I'm not an easy fit so when I find something I like I buy it.

amother
Burntblack

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 3:17 pm
My little kids- about $1200 yearly each
Myself- $2000 yearly

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 3:51 pm
Teen son ~$2,000 year- 2 suits, 8 white shirts, 4 dress pants, davening jacket, sweaters, coat. New hat. Summer stuff for camp. 3 or 4 pair dress shoes, sneakers, 2 shabbos shoes.

Teen daughter ~$3,000 year. 4 uniforms, 3 shabbos winter outfits, 4 Sunday winter outfits, 6 summer shabbos outfits (needs for camp, they don’t wear robes or do good laundry), 10 summer everyday outfits (also camp) shabbos shoes winter and summer season, sneakers, school shoes, and camp paraphernalia

Grade school daughter ~$1,000. 4 uniforms. She is still young enough to wear h&m/target/old navy Sunday and summer days. 2 winter shabbos dresses, 3 summer shabbos dresses, shabbos shoes summer and winter, sneakers, school shoes.

Toddler daughter ~ $300. Target/old navy/h&m for every day, 2 or 3 shabbos dresses per season also from target etc. Sneakers and natives, shabbos shoes from Zara.

Kids get more expensive as they get older, especially girls that need tznius clothes from Jewish brands.

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 4:13 pm
For my 9 year old upcoming summer season

4 weekday dresses $45 each
4 weekday tees $20 each
4 weekday skirts $30 each
1 pr shabbos shoes $50
1 pr sneakers $60
1 pr crocs $30
1 bathing suit $45
12 panties $36 total
3 shabbos outfits $55 each
1 shabbos robe $45
5 night shirts $15 each

$850 for the bulk of the items

I still need to buy lots of socks and 2 more items for weekday.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 4:18 pm
For my 6 year old girl this season I spent $60 on 3 skirts from tottini, $15 3 shirts, $60 on sandals and 2 shabbos outfits from children's place. Her robe from last summer still is passable. I bought her $15 sneakers. I may still buy her another skirt and a few shirts totalling $45. She has 3 outfits from last summer that still fit. I still need to buy her socks so I'm assuming that will be another $30. She needs underpants which will cost about $12..sorry for the length..

Getting way less for my 12 year old who barely grew.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 4:41 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Rough estimates
2 yo girl - $100 per season
7 yo boy - $150 per season
10 yo girl - $300 per season (definitely the hardest and most expensive to dress)
14 yo boy - $500 a year (bought him most of his clothes before mesivta started and haven't really spent much since then)
Me - $300 a year

I am very cheap and frugal when it comes to clothing shopping. My kids always look clean and put together, but definitely not the most fashion conscious around

You’re lucky, I have to bug my 14/15 year old new clothing every 6-8 weeks!!

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 4:48 pm
I estimate probably 500 /kid per year roughly. I am not such a careful shopper and shop mainly in kidichic/Tottoni/old navy.
Shoes sometimes I go expensive but sometimes it's just Amazon. I have had bh lots of simchas so I end up spending for those as well.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 4:49 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
For my 6 year old girl this season I spent $60 on 3 skirts from tottini, $15 3 shirts, $60 on sandals and 2 shabbos outfits from children's place. Her robe from last summer still is passable. I bought her $15 sneakers. I may still buy her another skirt and a few shirts totalling $45. She has 3 outfits from last summer that still fit. I still need to buy her socks so I'm assuming that will be another $30. She needs underpants which will cost about $12..sorry for the length..

Getting way less for my 12 year old who barely grew.

Where do you get $15 sneakers?

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 4:50 pm
Quote:

Why???

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 5:02 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Quote:

Why???

Cuz BH he’s growing growing growing!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics