Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Switzerland
1  2  Next

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 2:25 am
OK so DH and I are thinking of going to Switzerland in June. I've never been, I've just seen beautiful pictures and been told its stunning and nice to go to. It is so close to the UK so that is a big reason for us to go there, its only a hour by plane.

First which is the best city to stay in? Don't want to travel around too much, just relax and do some sightseeing.

How can I find a very nice hotel there? I've found some not so great ones online. [/code]

ChossidMom

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 2:31 am
I was at the Eidelweiss once in St. Moritz. It's a kosher hotel run by a lovely, lovely family. I had an all expenses paid vacation from work (lest anyone think I could afford it myself...) and it was a dream. I was there in the winter but the summer is also gorgeous, I'm told. You can go to a place like St. Moritz and spend your entire vacation there, hiking around and seeing the sights.

There is another kosher hotel in Switzerland run by the Levine family. I forgot the name of the town. Also in the alps and beautiful but closer to Zurich. To get to St. Moritz you have to spend 4 hours on the train from the airport. (worth it).

NS

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 2:36 am
The Levine Family have a kosher Hotel in Arosa. I was there many time and just loved it. Arosa is just a gorgeous village...
Here you have the link for Levin's website: http://www.levinarosa.com/
Enjoy!!!!

silber

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 2:38 am
Levins Metropol Hotel is in Arosa.
Its a beautifull place!
check it out! www.levinarosa.com

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 11:31 am
thanks everyone! I looked at it online. are the rooms nice? theres only one picture on it. is it all jewish people there? my husband got so excited when he saw the mountains, so pretty!

yeah apparently we dont have to take the luggage with us on the train? we can get it sent to the hotel from the airport?

about the train ride-I just asked my cousin who used to go to sem there (forgot til now!) and she said that its like a tiyul, beautiful scenery when you are traveling to the hotel. I prefer that to a plane!

so excited to go Very Happy

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 11:32 am
Where is arosa?

sarahd

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 11:50 am
In Switzerland. Tongue Out What are you actually asking?

pinkbubble, one thing you have to realize is that most hotels in the mountains in Switzerland, even non-kosher ones, are not luxury places. You're not meant to sit in the hotel all day; you're meant to be out skiing or hiking and to come back to the hotel to eat dinner and sleep. Neither Edelweiss nor Metropol (that's the name of Levin's hotel) are fancy by any means. But they both have good food, nice crowds and gorgeous locations.

If you want something closer to luxury and if you plan to spend time in your hotel room, you might want to consider the Palace Hotel in Scuol. http://www.scuolpalace.ch/ (You can google Palace Hotel Scuol and there's a link there under "myswitzerland.com" in English.) The hotel was once the summer palace of Kaiser Franz Josef and is still beautiful. The hotel itself offers more than the other two, but Scuol itself is not the most interesting place.

Wherever you end up, definitely take the train from the airport as opposed to a car. The scenery is so worth it.

Last edited by sarahd on Thu, May 08 2008, 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 11:54 am
I meant where in Switzerland.

My grandparents have an apt. in Leukerbad. I stayed at the Alpha there - not kosher, but GORGEOUS! The hotels in switzerland are not luxurious, but clean lines and clean rooms and bright and exquisite. I love that kind of luxury more than the big fancy stuffed beds

sarahd

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 12:01 pm
Arosa is located in Canton Graubünden, same as St. Moritz, Scuol and Davos. I don't know how helpful that was. LOL

Mimisinger

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 12:03 pm
Not at all, but thanks Smile

pinkbubbles

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 4:07 pm
sarahd wrote:

pinkbubble, one thing you have to realize is that most hotels in the mountains in Switzerland, even non-kosher ones, are not luxury places. You're not meant to sit in the hotel all day; you're meant to be out skiing or hiking and to come back to the hotel to eat dinner and sleep. Neither Edelweiss nor Metropol (that's the name of Levin's hotel) are fancy by any means. But they both have good food, nice crowds and gorgeous locations.

If you want something closer to luxury and if you plan to spend time in your hotel room, you might want to consider the Palace Hotel in Scuol. http://www.scuolpalace.ch/ (You can google Palace Hotel Scuol and there's a link there under "myswitzerland.com" in English.) The hotel was once the summer palace of Kaiser Franz Josef and is still beautiful. The hotel itself offers more than the other two, but Scuol itself is not the most interesting place.

Wherever you end up, definitely take the train from the airport as opposed to a car. The scenery is so worth it.

well I wanted something a bit nicer as were going for our anniversary and I'm expecting, so I want to relax and enjoy our last vacation for a while Very Happy is the Palace Hotel kosher? I saw it online somewhere but I think you have to order kosher breakfast and thats all they have or something?

sarahd

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 5:34 pm
Not at all; the hotel is completely kosher and heimish. They serve breakfast and dinner. (At lunchtime you're supposed to be out hiking Wink so most people make sandwiches from the stuff they serve at breakfast.)

The hotel is a great place to relax. They have a gorgeous swimming pool, sauna and fitness room, and offer massages. I guess you won't be able to make much use of the sauna and massages if you're pregnant, though.

sarahd

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 5:46 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Not at all, but thanks Smile

I looked up where Leukerbad is located. Your grandparents' apartment is in Canton Vaudois/Wallis, which is in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Arosa is in the German/Romasnch-speaking part of the country.

Is that more helpful?

chaylizi

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 6:12 pm
silber wrote:
Its a beautifull place!

I would check this out. the shabbos before erev pesach, 40 people got food poisoning- inc the r"y from lucerne. I understand the government got involved.

chaylizi

Post Thu, May 08 2008, 6:14 pm
sarahd wrote:

we spent a shabbos there in january- the hotel is beautiful. the rooms are beyond stunning. but it is in the middle of nowhere & the food isn't that great. I would recommend the edelweiss in st moritz.

im my kids ima

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 2:30 am
I live in geneve switzerland if u happen to pass here and want to c a realy nice city u can come to geneve. theres no kosher hotel here of kosher place to eat. u can pm me if ur interested we can b in touch.
I went to zurich one day and to me it looked like a old wornout town. geneve is a stunning city if u want to tour alittle.
have a great trip whatever u do.

dilego

Post Fri, May 09 2008, 5:24 am
We where in arosa,on shabbos b/4 pessach&yes we did all get sick.We live just opposite the levins.It was salmonella.To my knoledge they didn't take a cent for schabbes,made sure,that everyone had all they needed & where very worried &concerned.Obviously the gov.got involved,but I believe that they'll be able to open on time for the new season.If you order a south room you'll have the stunning view.Tell them that u want a really nice room.I personally find that the furniture in most rooms is nicer than scuol,but the building&the pool r deffinetly much nicer in scuol.in my oppinion the metropol is heimischer.The train ride to arosa is shorter,than to scuol.By car its not a big diffrence,maybe half an hour,if you catch thetrain to take u &the car thru the vereina tunnel.

sarahd

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 4:55 am
chaylizi wrote:
silber wrote:
Its a beautifull place!

I would check this out. the shabbos before erev pesach, 40 people got food poisoning- inc the r"y from lucerne. I understand the government got involved.

As dilego said, it was a case of bad food poisoning, but not likely to recur so fast. The hotel has been open for about 75 years and this is the first case of mass food poisoning, AFAIK, so you don't have to be too worried about it.

baba

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 5:00 am
There's also a kosher hotel in Villars (in the French part but only bout a 2,5 h drive from Zurich). I havent been to the hotel, but have been to the place. it was very nice, lots to do and close to a few bigger cities (montreux and Vevey).

Dini

Post Sun, May 11 2008, 6:38 am
We went to St. Moritz becuase we heard it has the nice views. It was gorgeous and we has an amazing view from our window. When I first got to our room I was suprised how old and small it was but it was so clean and the service and food was absolutely amazing, I would go back any day. Alot of people come there and just take a train to the mountains and sit out there. It would be a big pitty to go to switzerland and stay in the hotel.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics