Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Florida new development
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
SandyBrown

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:34 pm
To me one of the biggest negatives is its distance from any major airport. I could theoretically handle living in a place that's not driving distance to my family in NY, secure in knowing that it's an easy 2 hour flight. But knowing that it's 2 hours just to get to the airport would be a major inconvenience for me.

Also, the fact that it's so far from any major city will make jobs really hard to come by. It will be challenging for the community to be completely internally self-sustaining financially.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:45 pm
Yes I have the same question about jobs.
I would also want to be able to fly into ny fast, we live close to jfk.
I have family in lakewood who need to drive an hour to get to an airport, this is probably similar distance to palm beach international but I don’t know for sure because I can’t figure out where it is exactly on the map. Glades county is large

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes I have the same question about jobs.
I would also want to be able to fly into ny fast, we live close to jfk.
I have family in lakewood who need to drive an hour to get to an airport, this is probably similar distance to palm beach international but I don’t know for sure because I can’t figure out where it is exactly on the map. Glades county is large

The drive to PBI (palm beach) is probably around 1:30-1:45, and to fort Meyers probably about 1:15-1:30. Again, this is from the center of glades county, and also traffic dependent. Definitely much more isolated than and of the south Florida communities.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 6:15 pm
100%
I just wonder where the south Florida community will continue into. Thinking 10-15 years down the line. Obviously impossible to know but I wonder

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 6:16 pm
I personally would love to move to an established neighborhood but we can’t afford current pricing on a 4+ bedroom house

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 6:51 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
100%
I just wonder where the south Florida community will continue into. Thinking 10-15 years down the line. Obviously impossible to know but I wonder

I just looked at a map of FL, and technically Glades county is still considered South FL. However, it’s about a 2 hour drive from Boca, which I believe is the closest LARGE, well established S. FL community. Even if the frum community pushes north and or west, I think it will be a while before the communities would be considered close to each other.

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 6:56 pm
amother [ Quince ] wrote:
Can someone explain what happened in Tampa?

I'm so curious too. What was this fiasco? Anyone???

happyone

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 7:24 pm
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
I'm so curious too. What was this fiasco? Anyone???

Well with all good intentions, do you know ANYONE settled there??? As far as I know the original pioneers are gone from the area. I don't think there's Minyan weekly. It's not simple. I hope someone can come in and salvage it.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 7:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
100%

Well, the NMB community is expanding beyond it's previous borders. To the other side of the canal, the other side of 6th, the other side of Miami Gardens Drive. The lubavitch community are spreading into Skylake and coconut cay, etc. There is also a group that moved from the East coast and settled together in Miami Lakes, which is about a 20 min drive from NMB and established their own community, while trying to also integrate into NMB and use NMB resources.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 8:04 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Sorry but it's completely isolated for day to day living. If you don't want to cook- no restaurant option, no take out, no pizza shop. If you don't like the school option- no switching to one just a bit further away (the way you can do in south florida). Even clothing, if you're into the frum stores so thats a 2 hour drive or a flight into NY.
I grew up in South FL is the 90's- and we felt isolated lol. We bought our clothing at Aventura Mall or Marshalls or Fox's (this is pre Clothes and Bows). There was no such thing as frum clothing stores etc, Florida is FAR. It's not Baltimore far, it's far far. You just have to be up for that.
Generally new communities pop up in the general vicinity of an existing frum community, so maybe there's a 20 min drive but at least doable. That is totally not the case here. They can't build up north of Boca because development there is pricey. The area they are building in is currently not super sought after therefore they can keep prices extremely attractive for what looks to be a really nice plot of land.

This is such an in town mindset. So many Jewish communities all around the US started this way, without restaurants and school options. Some still don't have those and everyone is fine.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 8:05 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
This is such an in town mindset. So many Jewish communities all around the US started this way, without restaurants and school options. Some still don't have those and everyone is fine.

Like Jacksonville, fl
It’s been going strong a few years.
Are there any restaurants there?

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 8:06 pm
happyone wrote:
Well with all good intentions, do you know ANYONE settled there??? As far as I know the original pioneers are gone from the area. I don't think there's Minyan weekly. It's not simple. I hope someone can come in and salvage it.

Not sure if it will be in the same spot but about 10 families are moving to Tampa from Queens and opening a school and Kollel (not Chassidish)

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 11:51 pm

This is completely different then the little towns that sprouted at the turn of the century and thrived in small numbers for many years. Believe me, I lived in two of those small towns, one with barely a minyan. Not interested in outing myself but I'm the least in town person on the planet.
The model here is inherently different.
This town is NOT sprouting up around economy or job opportunities or medical schools like Jacksonville. Nor is it part of a chain like the other south florida communities that link up down to Miami and up to boca, which is similar to the small upstate NY communities that dot the state (not Monsey lol, actual upstate)- many thriving but most dying for the past forty years.
This area is far more remote. Here's the question- is good weather and an aesthetically pleasing neighborhood enough of a draw for a chassidish crowd to make this area flourish. Because thats literally what they are pinning their hopes on here to make this work.
Show me a model where they transplanted an entire chassidish community 2 plus hours from an existing frum community and it blossomed into a thriving community. If there are other examples of this than I'd be a lot more optimistic.
It's an ambitious project.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 12:00 am
This is completely different then the little towns that sprouted at the turn of the century and thrived in small numbers for many years. Believe me, I lived in two of those small towns, one with barely a minyan. Not interested in outing myself but I'm the least in town person on the planet.
This town is NOT sprouting up around economy or job opportunities or medical schools like Jacksonville. Nor is it part of a chain like the other south florida communities that link up down to Miami and up to boca, which is similar to the small upstate NY communities that dot the state (not Monsey lol, actual upstate)- many thriving but most dying for the past forty years.
This area is far more remote. Here's the question- is good weather and an aesthetically pleasing neighborhood enough of a draw for a chassidish crowd to make this area flourish. Because thats literally what they are pinning their hopes on here to make this work.
Show me a model where they transplanted an entire chassidish community 2 plus hours from an existing frum community and it blossomed into a thriving community. If there are other examples of this than I'd be a lot more optimistic.

Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense. I really only have experience with cities like Rochester, NY (with no restaurants!) so that's what I was basing my response off of. If this community is truly in the middle of nowhere regarding secular life as well, then yes I 100% agree with you. (By contrast, the Tampa community that will be starting in September will be using the Tampa infrastructure even though the community itself is going to start off tiiiiny.)

GLUE

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 12:13 am

What is the story with New Square?

From what I heard the Rebbe wanted to start a town in middle of no-where, was it in middle of no-were? How many years did it take to take off, is the situation similar or not even close?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 12:18 am
Thanks for clarifying. That makes sense. I really only have experience with cities like Rochester, NY (with no restaurants!) so that's what I was basing my response off of. If this community is truly in the middle of nowhere regarding secular life as well, then yes I 100% agree with you. (By contrast, the Tampa community that will be starting in September will be using the Tampa infrastructure even though the community itself is going to start off tiiiiny.)

Rochester is a perfect example- its actually quite an old Jewish community part of that same chain of small towns that sprouted up as people left the city in the early 1900's and throughout the years a whole array of rabbanim and community leaders have worked hard at keeping the community going as well as reviving it. That takes work- but yes, it does work, all that groundwork was laid 100 years ago.

Essentially they are trying to reconstruct that here, but on land with no existing community in an area that isn't drivable to NYC the way Rochester is. The early yidden of Rochester circa 1920 are NOT the typical tri state chassidish couple of today. This area needs real pioneers to settle it- I'm not doubting that it can technically work- again- I'm just saying its an ambitious project. Curious to see how it all pans out.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 12:21 am
GLUE wrote:

From what I heard the Rebbe wanted to start a town in middle of no-where, was it in middle of no-were? How many years did it take to take off, is the situation similar or not even close?

How far is travel time, is it two hours or more to get back to the city? Did the Rebbe move there with his community? Is a Rebbe moving to Glades?

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:15 am

It’s not the lack of restaurants and school options that make a place isolated or far from other communities. It’s the physical lack of proximity to another frum community.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:18 am
GLUE wrote:

New Square is right outside Monsey, isn’t it?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 9:00 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
It’s not the lack of restaurants and school options that make a place isolated or far from other communities. It’s the physical lack of proximity to another frum community.

Sort of what lakewood was to Brooklyn? Yes, a little closer but not close enough
Page 3 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating