Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Florida new development
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:01 am
It’s a shame they didn’t plan this development closer to the coast

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:12 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
It’s not the lack of restaurants and school options that make a place isolated or far from other communities. It’s the physical lack of proximity to another frum community.

Rochester, NY (my hometown) is a 6 hour drive from NYC and over 3 from Cleveland and Toronto. Is that considered close?

Many other communities too. There's nothing wrong with starting a new community (I'm Chofetz Chaim, we do it all the time - Omaha wants Chofetz Chaim to open a community, Minneapolis is probably the closest at 5+ hours away). I think though like the other poster said it's more about the lack of infrastructure in general.

(But really I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I have no idea if this will work and don't know actually much about Chassidim to take a guess.)

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:21 am
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
I'm so curious too. What was this fiasco? Anyone???

There was a thread here a few months ago - if you search for Tampa you’ll probably find it. IIRC one poster said the rebbe of the new Tampa community took their money for a house and then didn’t follow up (they didn’t get the house and had to hire a lawyer to get their money back).

There was another poster who seemed to be living there - she was recruiting people to come down, at least. She said the rebbe had left the community and the community was trying to move on. I wonder if she’s still around.

ETA: Here’s the thread https://www.imamother.com/foru.....rt=80

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:35 am
The Yeshiva made lakewood work. It was the central focus, those who came in the very beginning were there in that orbit and they lived with very very little, it was a sacrifice. Which is why I asked if a Rebbe is coming to this new development. If there was SomethinG there- a big financial center, a medical center like Mayo, a Rebbe, something that the community builds around than I can see this working- A R' Aron Kotler zt"l, or even a chofetz chaim or chabad outreach network, the way CC did in orlando. This just seems so random. The only draw is...pleasant homes.
Someone upthread mentioned the stretching of NMB ito the skylake area and across from the canal- those are not very safe areas, so people that are moving there are doing it because the proximity to a huge frum community and all that provides is worth it to to them even though its not such a great neighborhood. This would be the exact opposite- safe, beautiful, but really an island in every sense they'd need to build up from nothing.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s a shame they didn’t plan this development closer to the coast

The main thing they look for is cheap land. The price of land near the coast is more expensive.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:40 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Rochester, NY (my hometown) is a 6 hour drive from NYC and over 3 from Cleveland and Toronto. Is that considered close?

Many other communities too. There's nothing wrong with starting a new community (I'm Chofetz Chaim, we do it all the time - Omaha wants Chofetz Chaim to open a community, Minneapolis is probably the closest at 5+ hours away). I think though like the other poster said it's more about the lack of infrastructure in general.

(But really I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I have no idea if this will work and don't know actually much about Chassidim to take a guess.)

Yes, I just mentioned CC and Chabad could prob pull this off.
And like I said before the difference is that Rochester is an old community, founded a very long time ago, thats gone through it ups and downs but was created at a time when little towns dotted upstate new york- Like Buffalo, Binghamton, Scranton, etc etc. People lived simply, times were different.
This is a really different scenario and trying to attract a really different crowd.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:40 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Sort of what lakewood was to Brooklyn? Yes, a little closer but not close enough

I guess it could be similar to that, yes. Except Edison is under an hour away, and Teaneck, Philadelphia, and cherry hill are all under 2 hours away. I know Teaneck and Edison are old, established cities, not sure about cherry hill. The closest established community to glades county is Boca, which is minimum 2 hours away.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:46 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
The Yeshiva made lakewood work. It was the central focus, those who came in the very beginning were there in that orbit and they lived with very very little, it was a sacrifice. Which is why I asked if a Rebbe is coming to this new development. If there was SomethinG there- a big financial center, a medical center like Mayo, a Rebbe, something that the community builds around than I can see this working- A R' Aron Kotler zt"l, or even a chofetz chaim or chabad outreach network, the way CC did in orlando. This just seems so random. The only draw is...pleasant homes.
Someone upthread mentioned the stretching of NMB ito the skylake area and across from the canal- those are not very safe areas, so people that are moving there are doing it because the proximity to a huge frum community and all that provides is worth it to to them even though its not such a great neighborhood. This would be the exact opposite- safe, beautiful, but really an island in every sense they'd need to build up from nothing.

And warm weather.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:48 am
amother [ DarkGreen ] wrote:
And warm weather.

Yesssss.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:51 am

I think you’re not understanding what I’m saying. I’m not saying it’s impossible, or that it doesn’t happen, or that it doesn’t exist. I’m just saying it’s isolated, and when you have a fledgling community, that won’t work for a everyone.
Also you can’t really compare glades county to a big city like Minneapolis, because even though there may not be another frum community so close, at least Minneapolis is a big, well established city, with job opportunities. Glades county is literally in the middle of nowhere, not really a big city type place.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:56 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
I think you’re not understanding what I’m saying. I’m not saying it’s impossible, or that it doesn’t happen, or that it doesn’t exist. I’m just saying it’s isolated, and when you have a fledgling community, that won’t work for a everyone.
Also you can’t really compare glades county to a big city like Minneapolis, because even though there may not be another frum community so close, at least Minneapolis is a big, well established city, with job opportunities. Glades county is literally in the middle of nowhere, not really a big city type place.

This is really the biggest issue I'm seeing as well. Like I'm not even sure CC or Chabad would be interested in such a place as their isn't an existing city pop to tap into to mekarev. And what about jobs? Is this gonna exist like a bungalow colony where the men keep their jobs in NY and commute? Like whats the plan?
Maybe I'd hear it more if it was like a ner yisrael situation with a big yeshiva moving there to escape it all?

amother
Grape

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:05 am

Is there a community near mayo?

I've been wondering because it may be on our horizon.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:09 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

Re your first point, I hear that. I would assume though that the people there know that though, no?

About your second point I wasn't comparing Minneapolis to Glades County. Minneapolis has nice size frum community. I was just saying that Omaha is a 5 hour drive to it's closest frum community. Glades County seems to only be 2+ hours from major Jewish Floridian communities.

But yes, I think I agree, this doesn't seem like an ideal situation, not sure why anyone would move there.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:12 am

Even though was close to Brooklyn the lkwd ppl really struggled in early years. Kosher chicken, groceries. My MIL was one of the early families. Got cases of Uncleaned chicken direct from butcher. Had to travel by bus to pediatrician. (Dr shanik was a trip from lkwd). My dh cheder primary classroom was in an old moldy basement with leaky pipes. Life was not easy for the early pioneers.
Now there is a really nice established beautiful community. But it took a lot of difficult years before it was close to what it is now.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:16 am
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
Even though was close to Brooklyn the lkwd ppl really struggled in early years. Kosher chicken, groceries. My MIL was one of the early families. Got cases of Uncleaned chicken direct from butcher. Had to travel by bus to pediatrician. (Dr shanik was a trip from lkwd). My dh cheder primary classroom was in an old moldy basement with leaky pipes. Life was not easy for the early pioneers.

I never said it was easy, I said it was hard, it was a sacrifice. But the Yeshiva was the anchor and people made the sacrifice to live near the yeshiva.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:18 am
amother [ Grape ] wrote:
Is there a community near mayo?

I've been wondering because it may be on our horizon.

I actually don't know, sorry, I just assumed because of things I've read over the years, bikkur cholim rooms etc. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone know?? Wishing you and your family a lot of health!

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:21 am
Re your first point, I hear that. I would assume though that the people there know that though, no?

About your second point I wasn't comparing Minneapolis to Glades County. Minneapolis has nice size frum community. I was just saying that Omaha is a 5 hour drive to it's closest frum community. Glades County seems to only be 2+ hours from major Jewish Floridian communities.

But yes, I think I agree, this doesn't seem like an ideal situation, not sure why anyone would move there.

The difference is though that Minneapolis itself is a well established city, vs. glades county which is really not. I mean, I’m sure there’s stuff there, but there are no big cities nearby, which means finding jobs outside of this fledgling community will be hard. Is the community prepared to help everyone find decent jobs, or provide for everyone who is going to come? That’s the real question. How will this community sustain itself. The Rochester Jewish community is far from other frum communities, but at least it’s a well established city in and of itself.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 8:04 pm
It seems surprising that the developers would be interested in an area if it was so remote and inaccessible if they want it to grow…wouldn’t they want access to jobs, education, shopping? Especially for parnassah it seems hard to imagine everyone self sustaining in a remote area

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 8:08 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
The difference is though that Minneapolis itself is a well established city, vs. glades county which is really not. I mean, I’m sure there’s stuff there, but there are no big cities nearby, which means finding jobs outside of this fledgling community will be hard. Is the community prepared to help everyone find decent jobs, or provide for everyone who is going to come? That’s the real question. How will this community sustain itself. The Rochester Jewish community is far from other frum communities, but at least it’s a well established city in and of itself.

I agree with you. I think I was getting confused because I used Minneapolis as the closest Jewish community to Omaha, not as a place to compare Glades County to. Glades County seems to be only around 2-3 hours from big Jewish communities. However, yes, if there's no infrastructure there for jobs and medical resources, I'm not sure how it will be sustainable.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 10:32 pm
The Jacksonville community is 25 minutes away from Mayo Clinic
If you are looking for homes in the eruv, google Pickwick Park homes for sale on Zillow
Most start at 400,000 and sell out within a week
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating