Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Florida new development
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

GLUE

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 6:15 pm
Slateblue & Ema of 4:

You both raise good points, people move for something to move to. One of the Jewish rags had an article about the London housing crises. The article gave 4 possible places for people to move to. A few years later there was an update the only place that took off was a place were a yeshiva moved and the first people who moved there were with the yeshiva.

Non Jews do the same thing, in Kansas many towns are giving out free land the only towns that people are taking up is the ones that are about 1 hour from a city. The ones in middle of no were nobody is moving to.

I was once reading
"Drive until you can afford- that is why places in Iowa are suburbs for Chicago"
I thought the person was being sarcastic then I looked at a map and there are towns in Iowa that is "only" 2 1\2 hour away from Chicago. There is a small group of people who commute 3 hours one way. So why not live in Iowa.

This looks like they are building like a suburbia, for one thing there are no apartments in there circle. At least non that I could see. Were are there kids suppose to live after they get married? Not having an apartments is fine for a suburbia not if you want to make a city. Are they planning to put a cemetery if it's a community they will need one.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 6:49 pm
GLUE wrote:
. Are they planning to put a cemetery if it's a community they will need one.

New communities will travel for that.
Even in lkwd until about 14 yrs ago very few ppl were buried locally. They traveled back to the more established community cemeteries.
(Even communities like Baltimore it’s a trip to the main Jewish cemeteries)
It shouldn’t be needed.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 7:11 pm
I think, for a community to take off in the middle of nowhere, you need some kind of "base" to anchor things and attract people. Like a yeshiva or kollel.

amother
Papayawhip

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 7:15 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
New communities will travel for that.
Even in lkwd until about 14 yrs ago very few ppl were buried locally. They traveled back to the more established community cemeteries.
(Even communities like Baltimore it’s a trip to the main Jewish cemeteries)
It shouldn’t be needed.

First of all, Baltimore has cemeteries. Not close to the frum area now but that's only because the Jewish neighborhoods migrated over the years. Originally, the main one was quite close.
Also, Baltimore's Jewish community has been around for well over 100 years if not longer! There were always Orthodox shuls, kosher meat, mikvaos, etc although the frum community really took off and got built up once Ner Israel was well established in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. The Bais Yaakov school has been around since the 50s, I think. And TA (Talmudical Academy) is even older. At least the 40s, possibly even the 30s or 20s.
But there was already Jewish infrastructure in place, it's not as though these schools or yeshivas were especially in the middle of nowhere.

Rav Schwab was able to leave Germany in the 1930s/get a visa because he had a job waiting as Rav of a shul in Baltimore. (There was a split later, where some congregants left to form a Conservative synagogue but that shul remained Orthodox and is quite frum to this day.

A good movie that will give you a sense of Old Baltimore/Jews is Liberty Heights. That's where Jews lived before rising crime pushed them out of the downtown city area. Ner Israel used to be in that general area, too. I don't think they built and moved to Yeshiva Lane until the early 70s.
An interesting historical fiction book that will give you a sense of Jewish Baltimore in the 1920s is The Bookseller by Amy Laura Schlitz.

cupcake123

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 7:37 pm
amother [ Papayawhip ] wrote:
I think, for a community to take off in the middle of nowhere, you need some kind of "base" to anchor things and attract people. Like a yeshiva or kollel.

Agreed

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 8:41 pm
GLUE wrote:
Slateblue & Ema of 4:

You both raise good points, people move for something to move to. One of the Jewish rags had an article about the London housing crises. The article gave 4 possible places for people to move to. A few years later there was an update the only place that took off was a place were a yeshiva moved and the first people who moved there were with the yeshiva.

Non Jews do the same thing, in Kansas many towns are giving out free land the only towns that people are taking up is the ones that are about 1 hour from a city. The ones in middle of no were nobody is moving to.

I was once reading
"Drive until you can afford- that is why places in Iowa are suburbs for Chicago"
I thought the person was being sarcastic then I looked at a map and there are towns in Iowa that is "only" 2 1\2 hour away from Chicago. There is a small group of people who commute 3 hours one way. So why not live in Iowa.

This looks like they are building like a suburbia, for one thing there are no apartments in there circle. At least non that I could see. Were are there kids suppose to live after they get married? Not having an apartments is fine for a suburbia not if you want to make a city. Are they planning to put a cemetery if it's a community they will need one.

If you check out the brochure, one of the house models is a two family house. It has two two-bedroom apartments. That could solve the young-couples-getting-married apartments.

best

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 3:43 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
This is completely different then the little towns that sprouted at the turn of the century and thrived in small numbers for many years. Believe me, I lived in two of those small towns, one with barely a minyan. Not interested in outing myself but I'm the least in town person on the planet.
The model here is inherently different.
This town is NOT sprouting up around economy or job opportunities or medical schools like Jacksonville. Nor is it part of a chain like the other south florida communities that link up down to Miami and up to boca, which is simila
Show me a model where they transplanted an entire chassidish community 2 plus hours from an existing frum community and it blossomed into a thriving community. If there are other examples of this than I'd be a lot more optimistic.
It's an ambitious project.

1. KJ Monroe is a transplant of Brooklyn

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 3:45 pm
best wrote:
1. KJ Monroe is a transplant of Brooklyn

And its over two hours away from the nearest frum community?

best

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 3:52 pm
This is the location, I have friends and family in the industry, so I get some inside info.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/AEP7WVMyBoymExB8A

1 hr to Intl' airport but many smaller close by

The school will teach in yiddish, a yeahivah is planned, so is resteraunt meat and dairy ,

They chose distance from coast to avoid price hike by tourism,

Walmart, Aldi etc, are local ,

residents create jobs, and they are working with large NY companies , to open satalite office.

English speaking cheder is planned for phase 2

Last edited by best on Wed, Apr 27 2022, 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pear

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
And its over two hours away from the nearest frum community?

KJ is only 20 minutes from Monsey

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 3:54 pm
Right. If this new community was 20 minutes from a Monsey we'd be in good shape.

best

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 5:55 pm
40 Yrs ago when KJ was in its infancey ,Monsey residents relied on NYC for shopping and jobs,
Lakewood depended on Brooklyn.

We need to boost optimisim into pioneers.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 5:57 pm
Only pioneering boosts that option creating numbers and critical mass and acceptance

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 6:22 pm
best wrote:
40 Yrs ago when KJ was in its infancey ,Monsey residents relied on NYC for shopping and jobs,

40 years ago, my grandfather who lived in Monsey had a store, and my grandmother did plenty of shopping there. Plenty of people in Monsey worked and shopped there.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 6:29 pm
There was a write-up on this community and others in the Pesach editions of The Monsey View and The Boro Park View.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 6:57 pm
best wrote:
This is the location, I have friends and family in the industry, so I get some inside info.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/AEP7WVMyBoymExB8A

1 hr to Intl' airport but many smaller close by

Um, what international airport is 1 hour from the place on the Google map you linked to, and does it have direct flights to NYC? The ones I checked are 2+ hours each way.

And what are the "many smaller airports close by" that you referred to?

I hope this community is successful, and while I'm not its target audience, the remoteness and distance from basic all civilization as I know it would be a total non-started for me.

I would have sooner considered the Tampa community that unfortunately didn't take off, being that it's located in a real city with jobs, activities, and an existing Jewish community, plus nearby an airport with direct flights to NYC that would allow me to conveniently go in for major simchas without spending days in transit.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 7:23 pm
best wrote:

40 years ago Monsey was a full fledged community. They had many stores and jobs. A lot of people traveled to Manhattan for jobs, there was public transit and the frum bussing. There were a few kosher kosher groceries, a butcher and a fish store,, a few pizza shops and fleishig places to eat out. There were frum clothing stores but people also went to Brookly where there was a larger selection. There were 3 not chasidish girls elementary schools, two girls high schools, I think there were a couple of chassidish schools also. There was also a selection of boys schools. Maybe you mean Monsey of 60 years ago.

best

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:19 am
doctorima wrote:
Um, what international airport is 1 hour from the place on the Google map you linked to, and does it have direct flights to NYC? The ones I checked are 2+ hours each way.

And what are the "many smaller airports close by" that you referred to?

I hope this community is successful, and while I'm not its target audience, the remoteness and distance from basic all civilization as I know it would be a total non-started for me.

I would have sooner considered the Tampa community that unfortunately didn't take off, being that it's located in a real city with jobs, activities, and an existing Jewish community, plus nearby an airport with direct flights to NYC that would allow me to conveniently go in for major simchas without spending days in transit.

Dear Dr, a healthy dose of skeptisim is understandable , but pesimisim makes us sick. West palm beach airport is just about 1 hour away , and the proposed highway should decrease travel time. Just click the nearby option on GMaps & see the airports. Drs should be more thorough.

Being far from a city allowes to expand without skyrocketing costs,

"JOBs" are created by the community every 25 kids need 1 teacher/rebbi etc. Many Amazon sellers are moving there, they need employees, some Tristate companies are relocating there warehouse and customer service centers there.

Addional phases are planned for the broader frum community,

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:54 am
Any of you here applied?

amother
Hyssop

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 12:29 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Any of you here applied?

Have any more info regarding Wimauma, FL? There was an article in the View Pesach edition regarding this new and upcoming community.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating