Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
NEST thermostat

amother1223

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:37 pm
I’ve been to two shomer shabbos families houses who have a nest thermostat and it turns on when you pass it. Obviously it has some sort of sensor. A house I’m looking at has them and I’m just wondering, Isnt this breaking Shabbos if it turns on as you pass it?

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:45 pm
Mine doesn’t turn on when you pass it.

https://automatedabode.com/usi.....bbos/

Could be we changed the settings- I don’t remember.

Last edited by allthingsblue on Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 7:46 pm
You can disable that setting.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 8:49 pm
amother1223 wrote:
I’ve been to two shomer shabbos families houses who have a nest thermostat and it turns on when you pass it. Obviously it has some sort of sensor. A house I’m looking at has them and I’m just wondering, Isnt this breaking Shabbos if it turns on as you pass it?

We have 2 nest thermostats. Yes, it's a problem but fortunately that feature can be disabled.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 8:56 pm
Yes, I have it too and I disabled that setting. It now only turns on when someone touches it. It's annoying that I can't check the temperature on Shabbos, but it is what it is.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:04 am
Bumping this because I’m wondering if people are happy with the nest thermostat?
I’m perfectly happy with my regular thermostat but my gas company has an offer for free nest thermostats for a few weeks. Should I go for it or just stick with what I have for now?
And is it easy to disable the feature that turns on when you pass by?

Last edited by lkwdlady on Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total

teachkids

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:16 am
It's an easy setting to disable. We love how easy it is to program and turn on and off remotely from my phone.

lkwdlady

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:19 am
teachkids wrote:
It's an easy setting to disable. We love how easy it is to program and turn on and off remotely from my phone.

Does it still display the room temperature?

teachkids

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 8:40 am
lkwdlady wrote:
Does it still display the room temperature?

No. The screen stays off all shabbos. We have a seperate thermostat (the Ikea cube one) to look at on shabbos)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars