Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Is this concerning? ( nursing issue)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:07 am
My baby is ten weeks old and bh nursing beautifully. She started at a babysitter a few weeks ago and drinks 2 or 3 ounces of pumped milk per feeding. When I pump, I am getting six to eight ounces of milk. Does this mean my baby is eating too little?
Ftr, this babysitter is watching only three babies, so pls leave that issue out of this thread. 😀

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:09 am
As long as weight gain is good, I wouldn't worry about it. My youngest drinks a lot more when nursing than he does from a bottle. Some babies just don't love bottles.

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:10 am
No. That is a lot to get when you pump

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:12 am
tichellady wrote:
No. That is a lot to get when you pump
I agree. I never got this much with my other babies. But apparently if my body’s producing it, my baby’s been drinking that much, no? So why would he drink so little from the bottle. I’m worried he’s hungry.

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree. I never got this much with my other babies. But apparently if my body’s producing it, my baby’s been drinking that much, no? So why would he drink so little from the bottle. I’m worried he’s hungry.

Not necessarily, pumping output can be very different than nursing. If your baby is happy after those 2-3 ounces and sleeps well at the babysitter, I would trust his cues. Also my babies at that age would never drink more than 2-3 oz in a bottle feeding (I supplemented) so I am not surprised to hear that #!

ora_43

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:16 am
That sounds like a reasonable amount to eat to me. How often is she eating?

Babies don't always drink all of the available milk when they nurse. It's perfectly normal to produce more than she eats. I'd only worry if she's showing signs of hunger, or isn't growing well.

stillnewlywed

I wouldn't be worried about 3 oz, but 2 oz is a little. Some babies will take less from a bottle and she just might need some time to get used to bottle feeding.
I also pump 6- 8 oz but my 4 month old only takes 4 oz from a bottle. I definitely have an oversupply but I still think when he nurses he takes more, maybe like 5 oz.

amother
DarkMagenta

amother [ OP ] wrote:

Not necessarily. At this stage your milk can still be unregulated (it regulates more around 4 months in my experience).

My baby was also taking 2/3 ounces every 3 hours at that age when she took a a bottle. Mostly she nursed so idk how much she was getting through the day but she was satisfied and grew nicely which is what mattered. I ended up donating my extra milk after keeping it as backup for a while.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:22 am
Thanks everyone! Feeling better now… she is bh happy according to the babysitter so I’ll try to relax 😀
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics