Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Making a whole chicken in a crockpot?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 5:54 pm
Can I cook a whole chicken in a crock pot? Anything special to know? High or Lo? How long (6 lb chicken). Thank you.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 5:57 pm
Yes there are a million recipes on google. It comes out super juicy. You can do either high or low depends on how long you plan to be available to turn it off when its ready. 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 6:39 pm
It is very juicy and tasty but it is ugly so don’t expect to serve it like you might a beautiful roast chicken from the oven.

Best tasting is to rub the spices under the skin and refrigerate overnight so they penetrate. Take off as much fat and excess skin as possible because the skin gets flabby and inedible anyway.

Elevate it breast side up on three balls you make with tin foil.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Apr 13 2022, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 7:46 pm
Yes it’s delicious soft and juicy.
I elevate it with potatoes and carrots. You can definitely serve it beautifully. I recommend adding a few sprigs of thyme. It’ll add flavor and and it’ll make it look nice when you serve it.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 7:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I cook a whole chicken in a crock pot? Anything special to know? High or Lo? How long (6 lb chicken). Thank you.

For such a big chicken, 8 hours on low (6 for a 2.5/3 lb chicken).
It needs extra seasoning when cooked in the cockpot. Comes out delicious and pretty if you use paprika on the skin, because it can't brown in the crockpot.
In a bowl make a mix of spices including 4 tsp salt (for a 6 lb chicken- I use half for a 2.5 lb chicken), onion powder, garlic powder, paprika. Rub all over on the chicken directly (not on the skin) - rub under the skin (pull it back gently and then pull back to its place) and in the cavity. Then sprinkle the entire skin with paprika. Very delicious.

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 14 2022, 12:53 am
Sooo delicious
https://www.ayearofslowcooking.....l?m=1
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics