Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Biggest Hit- What’s the yummiest thing you ate this Pesach?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 12:08 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
What's the knish dough recipe, or did you mean blintz

PLEASE NOTE THAT NUMBER OF POTATOES IS 15 AND NOT 5. AMOUNTS ARE NOW CORRECT

This is a recipe for a Pesach Deli Roll which has a knish like dough. You could probably modify it to whatever you want to fiil with or make individual style. This is NOT my professional recipe - notes are from the women who I got the recipe from.Editing to clarify that I am not The Gush Gourmet LOL

I have been making this deli roll on Pesach for years. Personally, I like it better than the typical puff pastry version, firstly, I think it's healthier, and secondly, how could anything wrapped in a potato knish dough not be utterly delicious? A few years ago I posted a picture of said deli roll before Pesach and I was flooded with requests for the recipe. Unfortunately, I had no recipe, I eyeball it until it is the consistency I like. This year though, I promised myself I would make the time to measure everything so I could finally post it. And here it is. In all it's glory. And it is truly glorious, if I may say so myself. To get the potatoes fully smooth I use a potato ricer which is one of my absolute favorite kitchen tools all year long but especially on Pesach. You can find a link to one on this list I made of gadgets that help me streamline my Pesach prep. I HIGHLY recommend you owning one but in a pinch you can just mash the potatoes. Because I make this for clients, this recipe makes an insane amount. The good news is that it freezes very well but if you aren't inclined to make 75 pieces of deli roll at a time you can always halve the recipe. Enjoy!!!

Warning: this is not one of those quick and easy recipes. It takes time and effort. That’s why I make so much at one time Smile

Hush Puppy Deli Roll

http://thegushgourmet.blogspot......html

15 large potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks, boiled in well salted water, drained and riced (see above) or mashed-you want about 20 cups of mashed potatoes
6 large onions diced
1/4 cup oil
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 -5 cups potato starch
salt to taste
1 cup BBQ sauce
(Mustard if making not on Pesach, DONT use the imitation stuff)
5 pounds assorted sliced deli
1 egg, beaten

Start by heating the oil in a large saute pan and adding the onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until nice and golden brown.

Place the mashed potatoes in a large bowl and add 1/4 cup of the caramelized onions, the eggs, and 4 cups of potato starch. Mix well. The best way to mix is to put a glove on and use your hands. You want the potatoes to not be sticky and have a stiff dough like consistency. You may need to add up to a cup more potato starch to achieve that. Season the mixture with salt.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lay out a large piece of parchment and take half the mixture and press it out onto the parchment into a very large rectangle around 76x38 cm (cue everyone asking Alexa what that is in inches Smile. Start by layering one layer of deli on the potatoes leaving a few inches on both of the long sides without any deli. Spread half of the caramelized onions on top of the first layer of deli and then top with more deli. Spread half of the BBQ sauce and then top with a final layer of deli. Using the parchment, start rolling the potatoes up jelly roll style. Carefully transfer to a baking sheet (another kitchen essential), you can cut it in half to transfer if needed. Brush with the beaten egg and bake for about 1 hour until light golden brown. Repeat with the remaining half of potatoes, onions and deli. Cool completely before slicing. The top will deflate slightly as it cools.

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Apr 21 2022, 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 12:22 pm
Amarante, we always see how you are into good recipes but now I see you do it as a profession as well

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 12:33 pm
dankbar wrote:
Amarante, we always see how you are into good recipes but now I see you do it as a profession as well

Sorry for the confusion when I posted this recipe. I always try to add notes of the notebook author to give context and I had left out my usual "personal" notes on a recipe. I will go back to edit to make it clear that this is NOT my invention Very Happy

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 12:46 pm
Amazing mayonnaise recipe, I made tons of this.

Freeze 1 1/4 cups oil for half hour.

In food processor:
1 whole egg
2 Tbs sugar
1 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp salt

Process for about 30 seconds. Then in a slow, steady stream pour in the oil. It takes me about 30-45 seconds.
Watch the magic happen Very Happy

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 1:19 pm
amother [ Hibiscus ] wrote:
Amazing mayonnaise recipe, I made tons of this.

Freeze 1 1/4 cups oil for half hour.

In food processor:
1 whole egg
2 Tbs sugar
1 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp salt

Process for about 30 seconds. Then in a slow, steady stream pour in the oil. It takes me about 30-45 seconds.
Watch the magic happen Very Happy

This can be easily done with an immersion blender in a 2 pound container
Sugar is optional, pepper optional
Ratio is 1 egg to 1 cup oil

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 1:57 pm
Thank you all!

Does anyone have an idea of a side dish with no nuts and eggs? Or at least no nuts?
I would love to make an apple crumble or sweet potato pie but all the recipes I see have nuts.

Zahava94

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 2:16 pm
Vegetarian chopped liver

Eggs, Onions, Walnuts, Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, Mayo, Garlic
Brown the onions, hard boil the eggs
Put all ingredients into a food processor, blend till creamy/chunky
Yum

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 2:25 pm
Zahava94 wrote:
Vegetarian chopped liver

Eggs, Onions, Walnuts, Mushrooms, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, Mayo, Garlic
Brown the onions, hard boil the eggs
Put all ingredients into a food processor, blend till creamy/chunky
Yum

Can you give amounts?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 2:53 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Thank you all!

Does anyone have an idea of a side dish with no nuts and eggs? Or at least no nuts?
I would love to make an apple crumble or sweet potato pie but all the recipes I see have nuts.

There's a good crumble recipe here with just 1/2 cup ground nuts. Use less oil and skip the nuts.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....37024

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 3:10 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
There's a good crumble recipe here with just 1/2 cup ground nuts. Use less oil and skip the nuts.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....37024

Great, thanks!

amother
Hibiscus

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 3:24 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
This can be easily done with an immersion blender in a 2 pound container
Sugar is optional, pepper optional
Ratio is 1 egg to 1 cup oil

You definitely could, but I tried both ways, and found the food processor to be much quicker and resulted in much stiffer mayonnaise.

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 3:45 pm
amother [ Whitesmoke ] wrote:
Matzoh toffee always steals the show: https://www.epicurious.com/rec.....09117

eggplant rollatini with matzoh meal subbed for bread crumbs

baked buffalo cauliflower with matzoh meal subbed for bread crumbs

Can I have the recipe for buffalo cauliflower?

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 4:11 pm
Pulled Beef Gnocchi

Used all year round gnocchi recipe, substituted flour with potato starch.
Cooked brisket in crock pot overnight with lots of potatoes, onion, carrot, potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Yum.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 4:31 pm
amother [ Cantaloupe ] wrote:
1-2-3 chewy cookies

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 cups nuts (1 bag almonds or Filbert or walnuts)

Made these and added some chocolate chips. They were a hit! Ty! And bonus to use up extra ground nuts!

Beingreal

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 4:38 pm
My mother's soup, pizza potatoes and matzah lasagna!

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 4:47 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Thank you all!

This is a nice side dish - it only has 8 almonds in total so they can easily be omitted LOL

Quinoa Almond Pilaf

Excerpt From: Rose Wilson - 150 Yummy Passover Seder Recipes

Ingredients

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 cup cold water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 celery rib, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 almonds, coarsely chopped
1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons raisins
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pinch coarse sea salt

In a saucepan, mix the cold water, salt and quinoa together and let it boil; lower the heat to medium-low setting and let the mixture cook for about 15 minutes while covered until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid.

Pour the olive oil in a skillet and let it heat up over medium heat setting. Put in the carrot, celery, garlic and onion and let it cook in hot oil for 5-7 minutes while stirring it until the onion turns translucent. Add in the raisins, oregano, almonds, thyme, salt, pepper and tomato and let it cook for 1 more minute while stirring the mixture.

Use a fork to fluff out the quinoa then add it into the vegetable mixture and let the mixture cook for about 30 seconds while stirring it until it is hot and well-combined.

Distribute the cooked quinoa mixture evenly among 3 plates then top it off with some coarse sea salt granules for a nice salty crunch.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 4:48 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Thank you all!

I haven't made this but it is an Apple Crumble with no nuts or eggs

Recipe yields 14 servings (if you use ramekins, you will have 14 in total).

Here is the recipe for my delicious Passover Apple Crumble:

Ingredients:

1 cup matzo meal
1 cup demerara sugar divided in half (half is for the filling and half for the crumbles)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 green apples cored, peeled and cubed.
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Juice of one lemon
Preparation:

Set the oven to 170°C/ 360°F with the fan.
In a bowl, mix the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and half of the sugar.
Grease ramekins and fill each one with 2-3 tablespoons of the apple mixture.
In a bowl, mix the matzo meal, the other half of sugar and oil to a crumbly mixture.
Sprinkle on top of the apple layer.
Bake the cake for 30 minutes until the filling is bubbling.
Dig in and happy Passover!

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 4:51 pm
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:
Can you give amounts?

This uses cashews instead of walnuts

Here's how to make it:

Start by soaking 1 cup raw cashews in enough cold water to cover for at least 30 minutes (or up to 2 hours). Meanwhile, hard boil 3 eggs, peel and quarter them, and set aside until needed.

Heat ¼ cup neutral vegetable oil (like grapeseed or safflower) in a large frying pan set over medium heat and saute 1 finely chopped large onion in the oil until softened and lightly browned, 8–10 minutes.

Add 1 lb. stemmed and finely chopped crimini mushrooms and cook down until they are browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in 1 Tbsp. light brown sugar and ¾ tsp. kosher salt, then remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool slightly.

Drain the cashews and add to a high-powered blender or food processor along with ¼ cup water, the onion and mushroom mixture (use a rubber spatula to scrape all the flavorful oil from the frying pan into the blender), the hard-boiled eggs, 1 tsp. sweet paprika, ½ tsp. onion powder, and ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper. Blend or pulse until creamy, with a little texture remaining. Taste the mixture and add a little more salt if you like.

The naturally creamy texture of blended cashews melds with the pile of browned onions and mushrooms into a decadent spread that I crave during Passover and year-round. Does it taste exactly like real chopped chicken liver? No, of course not. It’s better.

Boca00

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 4:54 pm
Amarante wrote:
I haven't made this but it is an Apple Crumble with no nuts or eggs

Recipe yields 14 servings (if you use ramekins, you will have 14 in total).

Here is the recipe for my delicious Passover Apple Crumble:

Ingredients:

1 cup matzo meal
1 cup demerara sugar divided in half (half is for the filling and half for the crumbles)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 green apples cored, peeled and cubed.
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Juice of one lemon
Preparation:

Set the oven to 170°C/ 360°F with the fan.
In a bowl, mix the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and half of the sugar.
Grease ramekins and fill each one with 2-3 tablespoons of the apple mixture.
In a bowl, mix the matzo meal, the other half of sugar and oil to a crumbly mixture.
Sprinkle on top of the apple layer.
Bake the cake for 30 minutes until the filling is bubbling.
Dig in and happy Passover!

Thanks so much!

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 9:07 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Thank you all!

Not sure if you are looking for a side dish or dessert. This is an Apple Crumble Pie - no eggs or nuts but is a dessert

APPLE CRUMB PIE

Excerpt From: Heilbrun, Michele Streit. “Matzo: 35 Recipes for Passover and All Year Long

Tired of eating meringue-based desserts on Passover? This apple pie delivers everything you look for in a traditional version: flaky crust, crunchy topping, scrumptious filling. This crust can be used to make everything from quiche to chicken pot pies.

SERVES 6 TO 8

PIECRUST

1½ cups matzo cake meal, plus more for dusting
½ cup (1 stick) margarine or vegetable shortening
½ teaspoon kosher salt

PIE FILLING

4 pounds baking apples (such as Gala, Pink Lady, or Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and sliced ¼ inch thick
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
¾ cup sugar
2 tablespoons potato starch
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

CRUMB TOPPING

¾ cup potato starch
½ cup matzo cake meal
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ cup neutral oil

1 Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F.

2 Make the crust: In a food processor, combine the matzo cake meal, margarine, and salt and pulse until pea-sized pieces form. With the motor running, slowly drizzle in ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cold water until a ball of dough forms. Using your hands, form the dough into a flat disc, wrap with plastic, and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.

3 Place a large sheet of parchment paper on a clean, dry surface. Dust the surface and a rolling pin with cake meal, then roll the dough into a 12-inch-wide circle. Lift the parchment paper and flip the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Pinch any tears back together. Press the dough so that it sits flat along the corners and sides of the pie pan, then crimp the top edge around the pie.

4 Make the filling: In a large bowl, toss together the apples, lemon juice, sugar, potato starch, salt, and cinnamon until evenly coated. Place the apples in the piecrust, arranging them in even layers to avoid air pockets, and gently pushing down each layer as you fill the dish—it will seem like too many apples, but they will cook down. Bake for 45 minutes, until the “crust turns golden brown and the apples have shrunk in volume by one-third.

5 Meanwhile, make the crumb topping: In a small bowl, combine the potato starch, cake meal, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Drizzle in the oil and use a fork to mix everything together until the crumbs are the size of peas.

6 Pull the pie from the oven, sprinkle the crumb topping over the apples, return to the oven, and continue to bake until the apple filling is soft and bubbling and the crust and crumb are both golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes more. Remove and allow the pie to cool to room temperature for at least 3 hours before slicing and serving. It will stay fresh, covered, at room temperature for up to 24 hours, or refrigerated for 4 days.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics