Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Biggest Hit- What’s the yummiest thing you ate this Pesach?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:31 pm
candied nuts.

boil sugar with a bit of water. be careful, it gets hotter than regular boiling water! put assorted nuts (I used not roasted) on a sheet of parchment paper in a pan, once the sugarwater mixture cooks down a bit I poured it over and mixed immediately with a spoon. Put in preheated oven for 10 minutes, remove and mix and add chocolate chips, then put it in for another 10 minutes. Remove and let cool completely, put in ziplock bag and watch it disappear!

added bonus - throw in broken bits of your favorite pesach cookie when you add the chocolate chips for that extra wow factor!

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:36 pm
crossroad wrote:
2nd cut roast! Marinated in a mix of cranberry sauce and onion soup mix.
Beyond delicious and a huge treat!

2nd would be sweet potato mashed potatoes. Yum!
😋😋😋

Temp/time?

Mommy1:)

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:38 pm
Boca00 wrote:
Does anyone have an idea of a side dish with no nuts and eggs? Or at least no nuts?...

Turkish Salad (source unknown, I inherited this recipe from my mother...)

saute a 3 lb bag of sliced onions in a pot on medium-low with olive oil. when the onions shrink by about half, add 3 or more large colored bell peppers, also sliced thinly, add to onion saute, stirring and scraping and adding more olive oil if needed. Once soft, add a can of drained sliced green olives, 2 large or 4 small cans of mushrooms (can use fresh mushrooms if needed). Mix in and continue to cook for at least another 5 minutes. add 1 small can of tomato paste, mix well, scraping, turn flame on lowest for another few minutes. Serve cold - a wonderful side dish/dip!

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:28 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
yum. my grandmother used to make that and my husband loved it.
Can you post the recipe pretty please?

I didn't use a recipe, just a method, and I sort of winged it but everyone gobbled it up so I guess it worked.

Sliced eggplant (approx 2 smallish-med or 1 large?), coated with potato starch, fried in oil.

Sautee onions and garlic, add ground beef (I think my package was 2 lb) and spices (I probably used onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, pepper. Just a tiny bit of salt just in case because meat is already kosher salted) and mash it around until it's browning and crumbly. I'm sure my mother would have added an egg and fake breadcrumbs or something to make it softer but I was in a rush.

9x13 pan. I sprayed it with oil just in case. The meat and eggplant were pretty oily so I'm not sure that was needed.

Layer of eggplant, tomato sauce, layer of ground beef, tomato sauce, layer of eggplant, tomato sauce, if there's more meat then another layer.

Cover and bake for... time, I guess. I think mine was in the oven for around 45 minutes. People were ready to eat. Maybe the meat and eggplant would have been softer and nicer if I'd waited longer but we were hangry. I've been doing a lot more people-feeding this year than I'm used to and I'm not ahead of the planning game at all.

For family members who don't like eggplant, it's fall-apart-y enough that they can just scoop out the meat, which goes great with that fake pesach potato pasta but all my local stores either didn't have or were out of it this year so they had it taco-style on matzah.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:34 am
Boca00 wrote:
Thank you all!

Does anyone have an idea of a side dish with no nuts and eggs? Or at least no nuts?
I would love to make an apple crumble or sweet potato pie but all the recipes I see have nuts.

I did an apple thing without nuts. Wouldn't call it a crumble but we were happy with it. It has eggs. I don't know any kugels or pies without eggs.

Batter:
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c oil
3 eggs
3/4 c cake meal (I used potato starch it was fine)
pinch of salt

Apples:
3 large apples, peel and dice
3/4 Tbsp cinnamon (I don't even know how you're supposed to measure that. Just guessed)
2Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven 350F
Grease a square or round pan
Toss apples in sugar and cinnamon, put them in the pan
Mix the other ingredients and pour over the apples
Recipe doesn't say to but I smoothed it out at this point to make sure the batter spread around properly
Bake 45 min

ces

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 10:21 am
Amarante wrote:
This is a recipe for a Pesach Deli Roll which has a knish like dough. You could probably modify it to whatever you want to fiil with or make individual style. This is NOT my professional recipe - notes are from the women who I got the recipe from.Editing to clarify that I am not The Gush Gourmet LOL

I have been making this deli roll on Pesach for years. Personally, I like it better than the typical puff pastry version, firstly, I think it's healthier, and secondly, how could anything wrapped in a potato knish dough not be utterly delicious? A few years ago I posted a picture of said deli roll before Pesach and I was flooded with requests for the recipe. Unfortunately, I had no recipe, I eyeball it until it is the consistency I like. This year though, I promised myself I would make the time to measure everything so I could finally post it. And here it is. In all it's glory. And it is truly glorious, if I may say so myself. To get the potatoes fully smooth I use a potato ricer which is one of my absolute favorite kitchen tools all year long but especially on Pesach. You can find a link to one on this list I made of gadgets that help me streamline my Pesach prep. I HIGHLY recommend you owning one but in a pinch you can just mash the potatoes. Because I make this for clients, this recipe makes an insane amount. The good news is that it freezes very well but if you aren't inclined to make 75 pieces of deli roll at a time you can always halve the recipe. Enjoy!!!

Warning: this is not one of those quick and easy recipes. It takes time and effort. That’s why I make so much at one time Smile

Hush Puppy Deli Roll

http://thegushgourmet.blogspot......html

5 large potatoes, peeled, cut into chunks, boiled in well salted water, drained and riced (see above) or mashed-you want about 20 cups of mashed potatoes
6 large onions diced
1/4 cup oil
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 -5 cups potato starch
salt to taste
1 cup BBQ sauce
(Mustard if making not on Pesach, DONT use the imitation stuff)
5 pounds assorted sliced deli
1 egg, beaten

Start by heating the oil in a large saute pan and adding the onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until nice and golden brown.

Place the mashed potatoes in a large bowl and add 1/4 cup of the caramelized onions, the eggs, and 4 cups of potato starch. Mix well. The best way to mix is to put a glove on and use your hands. You want the potatoes to not be sticky and have a stiff dough like consistency. You may need to add up to a cup more potato starch to achieve that. Season the mixture with salt.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lay out a large piece of parchment and take half the mixture and press it out onto the parchment into a very large rectangle around 76x38 cm (cue everyone asking Alexa what that is in inches Smile. Start by layering one layer of deli on the potatoes leaving a few inches on both of the long sides without any deli. Spread half of the caramelized onions on top of the first layer of deli and then top with more deli. Spread half of the BBQ sauce and then top with a final layer of deli. Using the parchment, start rolling the potatoes up jelly roll style. Carefully transfer to a baking sheet (another kitchen essential), you can cut it in half to transfer if needed. Brush with the beaten egg and bake for about 1 hour until light golden brown. Repeat with the remaining half of potatoes, onions and deli. Cool completely before slicing. The top will deflate slightly as it cools.

I think the original recipe was 15 potatoes not 5

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 10:27 am
ces wrote:
I think the original recipe was 15 potatoes not 5

You are correct - the 1 got left off when I pasted.

I will correct it.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Boca00

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:53 pm
Yumm! Thank you seeker, amarante and mommy1! So kind of you, these are just what I was looking for!

ces

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 5:31 pm
Amarante wrote:
You are correct - the 1 got left off when I pasted.

I will correct it.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Thank you for posting the recipe! I made 1/3 recipe which still made one very large deli roll and it looks delicious! Can't wait to taste it (I would slice and taste now but fleishigphobia...)

Hatemywig

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 5:55 pm
Chocolate by Schmerling.

smss

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 6:15 pm
seeker wrote:
I did an apple thing without nuts. Wouldn't call it a crumble but we were happy with it. It has eggs. I don't know any kugels or pies without eggs.

Batter:
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c oil
3 eggs
3/4 c cake meal (I used potato starch it was fine)
pinch of salt

Apples:
3 large apples, peel and dice
3/4 Tbsp cinnamon (I don't even know how you're supposed to measure that. Just guessed)
2Tbsp sugar

Preheat oven 350F
Grease a square or round pan
Toss apples in sugar and cinnamon, put them in the pan
Mix the other ingredients and pour over the apples
Recipe doesn't say to but I smoothed it out at this point to make sure the batter spread around properly
Bake 45 min

Making this!! I wanted to make another kugel and this looks easy and yummy. Thanks for typing it up!

Iymnok

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 3:10 pm
Beef stew/cholent. I sautéed onions and browned the meat and bones. Added sweet red wine (that’s what we had), water, cubed potatoes and cubed onions. I cooked it a few hours then added more water. I reheated it Friday afternoon (yomtov) and put it on the plata for Shabbos. It was delicious. I provided bowls at the table.

amother
Marigold

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 8:57 pm
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
These chocolate chip cookies which taste totally chometzdik!
Bonus: non-gebrokst, no nuts

1 C Oil
1 C brown sugar (can use part white)
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1.5 C potato starch
3/4 t salt
1 t baking powder
chocolate chips - mini work best

1. Beat oil and sugar
2. Add in rest of ingredients except choc chips and mix well
3. Add chocolate chips
4. Put batter in fridge for an hour or more, even overnight - and leave in fridge between baking batches
5. Scoop small spoonfuls onto baking pan. I get 8 cookies on a medium cookie sheet - they spread ALOT
6. Bake 350F for 9-10 min

They freeze perfectly (taste even better straight from freezer)
Don't bother re-refrigerating them on pan, it doesn't help with the spreading

Remember to warn everyone they are shehakol!!!

(anon since I've shared this so much)

came to say THANKS A LOT
great recipe!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:13 pm
Miriam Pascal's corned beef in wine shallot glaze and flanken vegetable soup
My moms turkey
My mashed potatoes with onions that were sauteed for an hour Smile

Boca00

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:26 am
Roundup of best hits-
Hungarian cake (white cake with filberts)
Moussaka
Avocado/hearts of palm/tomato salad
Taco salad
Red pepper/tomato/celery stew served over mashed potatoes
Egg noodles with (cooked) cabbage
Broccoli kugel
Schnitzel

I really really wanted to try the apple crumbles shared here but will save these recipes for another time as we just ran out of time and oven space. Thanks again!

kenz

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 9:43 am
momof2+? wrote:
Brownies from this website (ra-mom?)

Unbelievable Brownies
• 4 large eggs
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 cup oil
• 1/8 tsp salt
• 1 Tbsp vanilla sugar OR 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 3/4 cocoa
• 1 cup potato starch OR tapioca starch
• 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Whisk together eggs, sugar, and oil. Add the salt, vanilla, cocoa, and starch and mix until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips if using.
Pour into greased 9x11 brownie pan.
Bake in oven preheated to 350 until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes.

Also, a delicious sweet potato pie with crumble topping. I took my chometz recipe but made a pesach crumble.

I’ll type up the recipe if someone is interested.

Wanted to let you all know that I made these on Friday, Erev Shabbos, shvi’I shel Pesach. Poured into muffin pans and put into a 250 degree oven right before licht bentching. Removed after an hour and put straight onto an overturned pan on the blech, it was heavenly molten chocolate cake. The only drawback was I didn’t have ice cream!

paperflowers

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 10:02 am
amother [ Catmint ] wrote:
I hate when ppl say "these taste like chametz" because no pesach good ever actually does, but these CHOC chip cookies are reallllllly close:
https://jamiegeller.com/.amp/r.....kies/

(They are gebroktz.)

INGREDIENTS
1 cup margarine (2 sticks)
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup matzoh cake meal
¼ cup potato starch
1 (2.8 ounce) package vanilla pudding mix
1 teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

PREPARATION
Preheat the oven to 350℉.
1. In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the margarine, brown sugar and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until combined.
2. With the mixer on low speed add in the matzoh cake meal, potato starch, vanilla pudding, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined. Add in the vanilla and chocolate chips.

I made these and they were yummy! I left out the vanilla and substituted 3x baking powder for the baking soda. Thanks for posting!
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics