Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Home for second day lunch only - oven, stove or crockpot?

Which cooking method?
Oven  
 13%  [ 2 ]
Crock-pot  
 66%  [ 10 ]
Stove burner and blech  
 20%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 15

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:25 pm
Hoping to make yapchik for Shabbos lunch. We got invited out for the other YT meals so we are only home for Shabbos day BEH. I’ve never made yapchik before (planning to bake it tomorrow and then refrigerate it until Friday afternoon), and not sure if it makes the most sense to:

1) leave the oven on 225° from Thursday before chag, and put the yapchik in the oven Friday right before Shabbos. It seems silly leave the oven on for over 48 hours just for one meal.

2) leave a crock-pot plugged in on low from Thursday before YT (DH says to put water in the pot part so the crock pot is cooking something and not just plugged in with an empty heat element), and then put the yapchik in Friday right before Shabbos

2) leave a burner on with a blech and put the yapchik on top of the burner (hottest part of the blech) from Friday right before Shabbos.

Any and all advice welcome!!! Thanks ladies!

oneofakind

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:27 pm
You could put the crockpot on a timer to go off Shabbos afternoon after your meal.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:29 pm
Crockpot with water in the crock until it's time to use it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 8:23 pm
Thanks for the responses!

On second thought, would it be better to not cook the yapchik in advance, and instead make the potato kugel mixture and meat and put it all together in the fridge but keep it raw (tomorrow afternoon) then put it in the crockpot Friday morning?

Another option would be to cook it fully Thursday, then refrigerate it til Shabbos morning, and then stick it on top of the blech on the stove to warm up Shabbos morning. But I would probably have to do kedeira al gabei kedeira because it would be liquidy, no?

Really appreciate the advice!!

thanks

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 9:01 pm
oneofakind wrote:
You could put the crockpot on a timer to go off Shabbos afternoon after your meal.

You couldn't do this if the timer is for 24 hours since it would go off on the first day. You could use a 7-day timer.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for the responses!

On second thought, would it be better to not cook the yapchik in advance, and instead make the potato kugel mixture and meat and put it all together in the fridge but keep it raw (tomorrow afternoon) then put it in the crockpot Friday morning?

Another option would be to cook it fully Thursday, then refrigerate it til Shabbos morning, and then stick it on top of the blech on the stove to warm up Shabbos morning. But I would probably have to do kedeira al gabei kedeira because it would be liquidy, no?

Really appreciate the advice!!

You can prep potato kugel batter in advance. I've done it with yukon gold potatoes. Pour into a mason jar or large container, with a paper towel on top before sealing. Refrigerate. Only the paper towel will turn brown but not the kugel batter. Then put up the dish fresh in the crockpot before shabbos.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 1:00 am
ra_mom wrote:
You can prep potato kugel batter in advance. I've done it with yukon gold potatoes. Pour into a mason jar or large container, with a paper towel on top before sealing. Refrigerate. Only the paper towel will turn brown but not the kugel batter. Then put up the dish fresh in the crockpot before shabbos.

Thank you! Potato kugel batter = shredded potatoes, onions, egg, salt, pepper, oil - mixed but still raw?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 4:39 am
Bump

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 6:08 am
Yes
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....81344

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 6:31 am
Thank you, ra_mom!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 8:56 pm
Update: I used the crockpot approach. It’s really fascinating how the paper towel method works to prevent potatoes from turning brown! Thank you for that tip!

The yapchik had a decent flavor, but didn’t cook super evenly; the bottom was burned and the top part was very liquidy. The recipes I saw said to add a cup of boiling water after the mixture is in the crockpot. Was I supposed to put that in the bottom of the crock pot?

Thanks all!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:35 pm
Bump

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 7:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Update: I used the crockpot approach. It’s really fascinating how the paper towel method works to prevent potatoes from turning brown! Thank you for that tip!

The yapchik had a decent flavor, but didn’t cook super evenly; the bottom was burned and the top part was very liquidy. The recipes I saw said to add a cup of boiling water after the mixture is in the crockpot. Was I supposed to put that in the bottom of the crock pot?

Thanks all!

I always forget to add the cup of water on top and am always happy with the result. The top is darker. When we scoop out a portion we get a bit of bottom, middle and top.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics