Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
S/O can I put these away for next year
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 11:33 pm
I have tons of boxes of lady fingers, cookies, and chocolate.
anyone know if they can be stored for next year? My kids won’t eat all of it I am realizing

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 11:44 pm
Chocolate might melt. Maybe freeze. But isn't chocolate good all year round??
Cookies can probably be put in a ziplock.
They may get stale but not sure.
And you can donate things to gluten free gmachs otherwise Smile

amother
Oleander

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 11:46 pm
I’m left scratching my head at this post and it’s original post.
Why would you put it away? How much did it cost already? Either finish it or don’t. But you would seriously keep things that aren’t non perishables from one year to the next?
Is this a money thing?

kenz

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 11:52 pm
All I can think of is bugs, bugs, bugs. I wouldn’t chance it. If you really feel you have to, keep it in the freezer- but is it worth the space?

Moonlight

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:04 am
I put away many things last year for this year as does my mother

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:29 am
Me too.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:35 am
A big NO

ray family

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:40 am
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
Why would you put it away? How much did it cost already? Either finish it or don’t. But you would seriously keep things that aren’t non perishables from one year to the next?
Is this a money thing?

I have a drawer in my freezer where I keep things from year to year. I save a lot of money that way. And when money is tight you do what you can to be mindful.
I save spices, closed bags of potato starch, matzah meal ( no, it’s not the same as year round and it costs 10x as much) that’s probably it because it’s a small drawer but it adds up.
That’s aside from non perishables. There I save all the disposables, aluminum pans, silver foil, plastic bags, special yt napkins, really whatever I can

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 1:23 am
Ladyfingers go bad. Donate to GF gemach.
I just use whatever is leftover all year round. Spice, chocolate, etc. I'll use up my matza meal instead of breadcrumbs til it runs out.

nicole81

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 1:24 am
You can store it in a deep freezer.

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:03 am
I save oil, potatoe starch, spices, sealed bags of matzah, plastic containers, tuna fish and some tomatoe sauce, shabbos candles, heavy duty tinfoil and that's pretty much it.

juggling

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:16 am
essie14 wrote:
I just use whatever is leftover all year round. Spice, chocolate, etc. I'll use up my matza meal instead of breadcrumbs til it runs out.

Me too. And potato starch instead of cornstarch, until it runs out.
The gluten-free pesach noodles etc I usually give away, since I'm unlikely to find a use for them during the year.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:30 am
amother [ Oleander ] wrote:
Is this a money thing?

Can't Believe It Can't Believe It
You obviously have no clue how many families are struggling financially with Pesach.

Window

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:33 am
Can I save my burnt zeroa? It’s such an annoying time consuming job lol

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:35 am
ray family wrote:
I have a drawer in my freezer where I keep things from year to year. I save a lot of money that way. And when money is tight you do what you can to be mindful.
I save spices, closed bags of potato starch, matzah meal ( no, it’s not the same as year round and it costs 10x as much) that’s probably it because it’s a small drawer but it adds up.
That’s aside from non perishables. There I save all the disposables, aluminum pans, silver foil, plastic bags, special yt napkins, really whatever I can

Totally agree with you. You save money but also save time. Less shopping in stores. Less running around.

moonstone

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:45 am
essie14 wrote:

Same here. It would never occur to me to save food for next year.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:50 am
essie14 wrote:

Pesach is a huge expense. Add to that buying every spice, matza meal, cocoa, potato starch... There's so much you can save on if you save your spices etc. from year to year.

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 3:02 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Pesach is a huge expense. Add to that buying every spice, matza meal, cocoa, potato starch... There's so much you can save on if you save your spices etc. from year to year.

Why?
I keep my garlic powder in my spice cabinet, I buy several throughout the year anyway.
Do you all seriously never use spices all year round?
Heavy duty tinfoil? I go through a roll every couple of weeks.
Cocoa? Of course I'll use that up in another few weeks.

yidisheh mama

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 3:03 am
I wouldn't save lady fingers, and chocolate is enjoyed year round, but cocoa, potato starch, spices, and things like that I always put away from year to year. Nothing perishable, though.

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 3:04 am
amother [ Daphne ] wrote:
I save oil, potatoe starch, spices, sealed bags of matzah, plastic containers, tuna fish and some tomatoe sauce, shabbos candles, heavy duty tinfoil and that's pretty much it.

Why wouldn't you just use tuna, tomato sauce, candles and foil for the next few weeks?
What makes candles kosher for pesach?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics