Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
If your seder goes past 3:00am...
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 5:56 pm
We follow chassidish minhagim and we were never makpid to eat the afikoman before chatzos. Sometimes I wish we were though. The late sedarim are rough.

keym

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 6:20 pm
OP, we eat afikomen BY chatzos, never over, no matter what. And we usually finish our Seder at 3/3:30.
We watch the clock through the Seder, and eat a very quick full Shlchan Aruch.
When Chatzos hits, we will clear the table, put away the leftovers and rinse the kiddush cups.
Usually our zimun is delayed as the men and boys take turns using the bathroom.
We let the kids each share a dvar Torah or two, a question.
After bentching is Hallel. We say all the words together slowly enough that my 7 year old can sing and say it also.
After Hallel, everyone can say another dvar Torah if they want and then Nirtza.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 6:28 pm
tweety1 wrote:
I literally don't remember ever eating the afikomen before/at chatzos. Op, you're saying halacha? Halacha? והגדת לבינך is also halacha? Which one is more halacha? It takes time.

This. Not even the first night

benny

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 6:50 pm
We’re not chassidish. Maybe a little heimish. We finished close to 4:00 am. Chatzos wasn’t really on anyones radar. Those that are more makpid tried eating afikoman by chatzos on their own and then continued shulchan aruch.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 7:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seriously? No. Oh, you mean because they brag? People love to do this. It's odd.

The halacha is to finish the afikoman by chatzos. I have literally never heard of anyone not doing that. It's the halacha.

Actually I grew up with the opinion that the first matza must be eaten by chatzos. A very strong halachic view. So before you make blanket statements, explore the halacha.

Having said that, most (not all) long seders completely lose their audience which negates the point of the seder...so...

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 7:09 pm
People hold different Zmanim. We hold later Zman for everything. I think Chatzos for us was 137. And then 2-3 hours of dancing and singing.
But it so doesn’t matter. Everyone do what works for you.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 1:33 pm
Well we were totally done by 11:00 in israel. We're small family and do not have so much patience. I mean for us to sit for 3 hours was a really long time. My husband is not a night person so everybody finishes quickly on their own.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 2:00 pm
We're makpid on afikoman by chatzot, which this year was 00:37. We finished Chad Gadya at exactly 2:00am. The the men said Shir HaShirim whole we cleared up around them. That's one of my favourite parts of the Seder.

By the time we finished clearing up, washing dishes and getting all the children calmed down and in bed it was easily around 3:00am.

We have neighbours who aren't makpid on chatzot, and I know the men often end up staying up all night and davening vatikin before going to sleep. Everyone according to their minhagim.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 7:29 pm
Mine finished at 3 cause hatzoz is 130. I have a friend we ate out by 2and day meal. She said that they finished 6am that morning. I felt soo bad for her. And that was the 2and night.

amother
Bluebell

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 7:38 pm
One can go after chatzos but then needs to eat double afikoman

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:26 pm
It is preferable to eat afikomen by chatbots but at least motzei matza must be eaten by chatzos if not it is a shaila if you are motzei the mitzvah of matza

amother
NeonPink

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:35 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I’m sorry but you sound very uneducated. There are many different Shitas and opinions and not all sects of Judaism are makpid.

There is also the famous tnai of the Avnei Nazer:

The Avnei Nezer learns that you should eat a kzayis before chatzos, and make a tnai that you are only being yotzei according to the shita that you have to eat before chatzos. Then, after chatzos you can eat the rest of your meal, because it is not the zman, and have your second afikoman to be yotzei according the shitta.

Please don’t speak for all Yidden. Thanks

My in-laws are not chassidish and do this, the men eat part of the afikomen during the meal and then again after and they finished Seder at 3 (chatzos was at 1) the next night we ate at my parents and my father who is chssidish is very makpid on chatzos and the Seder finished at the same time.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:07 am
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
I think chassidish are makpid only the 1st night.
Chatzos was 1, it takes us a good 2 hours to finish the seder after afikomen.

Yes chasidim are only makpid first night. Also many families only the father or head of Seder eats the afikomen by chatzos and the rest of the family is still eating the meal.
By my parents everyone ate the afikomen at chatzos and by my in laws it was only fil.

happytobemom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:08 am
benny wrote:
Those that are more makpid tried eating afikoman by chatzos on their own and then continued shulchan aruch.

If they're makpid to eat afikoman by chatzos, they're not makpid not to eat after afikoman? That's a lot more universal. "Ein maftirin achar hapesach afikoman"

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:55 am
We're Chassidish and makpid to eat afikomen before Chatzos and bh we made it by both Sedarim. Beirach, Hallel, nirtzah take time though.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:23 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
We follow chassidish minhagim and we were never makpid to eat the afikoman before chatzos. Sometimes I wish we were though. The late sedarim are rough.

I’m Litvish and also wish we were makpid to eat afikoman by chatzos (at this point I’d settle for being done with maggid by chatzos). DH likes to analyze maggid thoroughly and is a night person; I don't have so much patience, and am tired and want to go to sleep already.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 5:05 am
we were makbid to eat afikoman before chazuos until we had children who cntributed to the seder. at some point it took us much longer. this year we sat first night till 3.30 second night till 4.30 and we looove every minute of it. the little ones fall asleep sometimes, but most of us stay awayke and enjoy it. we dont rush and maybe shlep, but every child preprared for weeks to share maases and wertl, my husband likes to involve the little ones and share divrey toyre witht he adults and teens. we surprise the kidswith little shtiks during the makkos (suddainly throwing small frogs around or playing a scene where paroh dinks blood and cries for water...), ...
so basically yes it takes long and we dont manage to eat afikoman before chatzos.
during the year often shabos I rush a bit, want to rest, read, have playdates etc. but sedernight we just relax and it takes as log as it takes.

creditcards

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 5:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seriously? No. Oh, you mean because they brag? People love to do this. It's odd.

The halacha is to finish the afikoman by chatzos. I have literally never heard of anyone not doing that. It's the halacha.

We never make it to chaztoz. We always say that we are yotzeh with chatzos in Israel time.

Sesame

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 5:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Lol, that’s very narrow minded. Most ppl I know don’t keep to chatzos. Halacha? Wow…. Very narrow minded view of how ppl interpret Halacha. Halacha is ad alos hashachar as far as I remember. If you hold that means chatzos, that’s great, but not everyone holds like this and that is perfectly okay. Let them do them, not everyone has to do the same as you do and it doesn’t have to bother you that much. Who cares if their Seder is longer than yours?! Are you seriously getting this petty??

Sesame

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 5:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Have you ever heard of anyone not lighting shabbos candles on time?

Oy…. Clearly you haven’t heard that different ppl hold of different zmanim…….
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics