Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
If your seder goes past 3:00am...
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Apple

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:37 pm
We take a 45 minute break after chatzos to clean up, settle our stomachs, put kids to bed, use the bathroom...
We finished both rights around or after 3.

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:45 pm
Rubies wrote:
Have you truly never heard of not eating afikomen at chatzos?
Many only do so the first night.

If even….
My father in law always passes it out at some point, and makes sure to tell everyone to eat it with a tenai- if they make it before the zman, it’s the afikoman, if not it’s just matzah….or something like that? I don’t remember exactly, but there’s a tenai in there.

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 4:18 pm
We're makpid to eat the first kezayis by chatzos. Afikomen happens later.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 6:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seriously? No. Oh, you mean because they brag? People love to do this. It's odd.

The halacha is to finish the afikoman by chatzos. I have literally never heard of anyone not doing that. It's the halacha.

Sometimes when people brag about how late they finish the bigger question is, how long did it take them to actually get started.
I won't knock these long sedarim. They can be quite beautiful. It can be because there's a big crowd. They act out the makor or other parts. They really discuss the story and not just vertlach.
But that's not how my family does it.
Rabbi Shay Schachter said in a recent shiur that his father shlita is makpid not just to have the afikoman by chatzos but the fourth kos too. He described as a kid the rebbi asking the kids when they finished the seder. "3:00." "2:30." "4:00."
"Schachter, what about your family?"
"Uh, 11:30?"
Then the rebbi roars at the son of the RY of YU: "Schachter, are you Jewish???"

Now this might have been exaggerated but raise your hands if you identify.

(ETA: It might have been 12:00, 12:30, don't remember but pretty sure not later. Still early enough for a young kid to realize he has no bragging rights.)

Last edited by PinkFridge on Mon, Apr 25 2022, 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 6:43 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Sometimes when people brag about how late they finish the bigger question is, how long did it take them to actually get started.
I won't knock these long sedarim. They can be quite beautiful. It can be because there's a big crowd. They act out the makor or other parts. They really discuss the story and not just vertlach.
But that's not how my family does it.
Rabbi Shay Schachter said in a recent shiur that his father shlita is makpid not just to have the afikoman by chatzos but the fourth kos too. He described as a kid the rebbi asking the kids when they finished the seder. "3:00." "2:30." "4:00."
"Schachter, what about your family?"
"Uh, 11:30?"
Then the rebbi roars at the son of the RY of YU: "Schachter, are you Jewish???"

Now this might have been exaggerated but raise your hands if you identify.

Thanks for posting this. Our whole entire Seder was only about 3 hours, that's all certain family members can tolerate. I am a Huge fan of Shay Schachter so I feel a lot better now.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 6:46 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Thanks for posting this. Our whole entire Seder was only about 3 hours, that's all certain family members can tolerate. I am a Huge fan of Shay Schachter so I feel a lot better now.

You can get a lot done in 3 hours. Every single chiyuv. Clarity as to the story. Candy for the kids during Maggid too!
But I am in no way knocking longer sedarim. Just saying that shorter ones can be quite meaningful too.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 8:12 pm
My in-laws finish after 2 alway (hallel and nirtzah take 10 min) They don’t care about Zmanim. Chasidim.

creditcards

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 5:08 am
PinkFridge wrote:
You can get a lot done in 3 hours. Every single chiyuv. Clarity as to the story. Candy for the kids during Maggid too!
But I am in no way knocking longer sedarim. Just saying that shorter ones can be quite meaningful too.

Maggid takes a long time to read. Some people need more time reading than others. We try to wait for everyone to catch up. We are not makpid with the zmanim.

Last edited by creditcards on Mon, Apr 25 2022, 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 8:23 am
creditcards wrote:
Maggid takes a long time to read. Some people need more time reading than others. We try to wait for everyone to catch up. We are not making with the zmanim.

No one should rush. It's very understandable if it takes longer. But shorter sedarim aren't necessarily rushed either.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics