Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Dekal
  1  2  3  12  13  14  Next

Puppies

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 10:24 pm
I’d love honest reviews from people who used the new counter cover product Dekal. How easy was it to put on? Remove? Would you use it again- why or why not? Thanks!

puzzlepieces

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 10:29 pm
I used it, would not use again. It was difficult to put on and left a sticky residue. It's not like I had it on for weeks, I put it on Thursday evening and removed it tonight.
It did look gorgeous though!

Edited to add: I have Formica countertops

Last edited by puzzlepieces on Sat, Apr 23 2022, 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Puppies

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 10:31 pm
Thanks! I guess I should add as well - what material is your counter as that might affect how it worked.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 10:58 pm
I was tempted to get it but it's over $100 and it's disposable. The plastic counter covers are $20 and can be reused.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:08 pm
I spent $130 on Dekal and my counters are thick with residue. I'm using goo gone, clorox etc and it's a very slow go. Anyone had success with different products to remove it?

puzzlepieces

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:12 pm
amother [ Dandelion ] wrote:
I spent $130 on Dekal and my counters are thick with residue. I'm using goo gone, clorox etc and it's a very slow go. Anyone had success with different products to remove it?

I let goo gone sit for a few minutes and then it came off with a little bit of elbow grease. My counters are clean now bh.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:20 pm
Thanks for this thread. I was complaining to dh about the lower grade quality of the corrugated plastic we bought this year. I mentioned Dekal and told him maybe we should look into it for next year. I appreciate the info here so I know to stick with what I know.

amother
Birch

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:36 pm
Just a PSA to ask your LOR because I asked and was told it’s too thin to act as a cover for countertops that aren’t kashered underneath
For reference, the rav was the head of the star-k

amother
Lotus

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:45 pm
It was very difficult to put on and had many wrinkles and bubbles. The price was ridiculously expensive and I splurged thinking that it would be great. Disappointed and now concerned that there will be residue when I pull it up. My counters are concrete terrazzo.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:47 pm
Thanks for this thread. I was thinking of it but I use vinyl that I save from year to year. I actually told my husband before that. Maybe we should try it for next year, but I first wanted to see reviews. Looks like I'm going to be sticking to the same vinyl I've been using for the past 10 years.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:58 pm
The reviews are disappointing. They promised that it will leave no residue. The Instagram influencers that were advertising it were gushing that they tried it and it didn't leave residue...... guess they didn't try it for all of pesach with heavy things being put on the counter.

ces

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:05 am
I used regular contact paper at $4-5 per roll, took 3 rolls to cover my counters and it came up great with no residue. I would use again next year.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:09 am
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
The reviews are disappointing. They promised that it will leave no residue. The Instagram influencers that were advertising it were gushing that they tried it and it didn't leave residue...... guess they didn't try it for all of pesach with heavy things being put on the counter.

When I saw it on Instagram, I was so excited. I bought it. It looked beautiful on Yom tov. But the residue is a nightmare.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:13 am
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks for this thread. I was complaining to dh about the lower grade quality of the corrugated plastic we bought this year. I mentioned Dekal and told him maybe we should look into it for next year. I appreciate the info here so I know to stick with what I know.

We use the heavy clear plastic tablecloth material that we tape with white counter tape. Love it.

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:18 am
Never heard of this so I checked out their website.

Quote:
Not your grandmother’s contact paper
Dekal is made of specially designed PET material backed by a light but strong adhesive that leaves no damage on your countertop!

Then one click deep, there is a loooong "countertop care" section about how to clean up residue, and reminding you how much time you saved not cleaning a reusable counter cover. Doesn't sound like a great product to me!
https://kosherdekal.com/blogs/.....dekal

yiddishmom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:22 am
So happy to see this thread, because I was wondering if we should get it for next year.

kenz

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:43 am
I didn’t like it either. It tore in a couple of places and slightly melted in one area from a hot dish, and I definitely have residue that I’m ignoring till tomorrow so I don’t know how much work it will take, but I don’t see the benefit over the corrugated plastic that I replace each year.
I’m sorry to add to poor reviews regarding a Yid’s parnassah, only doing so bc OP specifically wants feedback. I think it has promise but needs more work.

talkaholic

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:50 am
I came on here tonight just to see if anyone else has complaints. I see I'm in good company. It did look gorgeous on the counters and was a pleasure to wipe. On and off was a disaster.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:51 am
[quote="DrMom"]Never heard of this so I checked out their website.

Quote:
Not your grandmother’s contact paper
Dekal is made of specially designed PET material backed by a light but strong adhesive that leaves no damage on your countertop!

Then one click deep, there is a loooong "countertop care" section about how to clean up residue, and reminding you how much time you saved not cleaning a reusable counter cover. Doesn't sound like a great product to me!

This section of the website was added after I bought this product. (I think it's dated April 11th, I had bought mine about a week prior). Had I seen this, I would never have bought it. As it is, I really have no idea what came over me to spend that much money on a disposable counter cover. I liked the design I guess, and bought into the hype.

I'm so disappointed. The removal was a nightmare, and I also have awful residue all over my counters. I could get over those things if the product was cheap, but it wasn't! I don't normally like to leave negative feedback but they will be receiving a complaint from me.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:01 am
I got an imitation here, worked well.
Page 1 of 14   1  2  3  12  13  14  Next Recent Topics