Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Vent. Expiration dates on Haimish products
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:33 am
Why can’t the Haimish brands use normal expiration dates that the general public can decipher like every other normal company.

Why is it that I can tell when my Bumblebee Tuna is best by, but not the Gefen?

I would love to know if I could put unopened stuff away for next Pesach, as it is 2x as expensive as the regular brands I buy during the year (and honestly not 1/2 as good) but the expiration dates are an indecipherable code so I have no idea when they expire.

Anyone know how to read this?

Thank you

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:44 am
No, but Google says canned tuna lasts for up to 5 years, so it’s probably worth the gamble.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:49 am
Heimish brands have clear expiration dates.
This doesn't look like an expiration date.

groovy1224

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:55 am
I get annoyed about this every year. I honestly think they do this so that you're 'forced' to assume it won't last till the next year. Maybe it's a conspiracy theory, but I can't figure out why else it's only heimish brands that do this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:08 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Heimish brands have clear expiration dates.
This doesn't look like an expiration date.

Really?
Maybe I am just an idiot?
Actually I am not and I work in the food industry.
The Gefen tuna definitely does not have a date nor do most of their products-baking powder, Vanilla sugar, imitation Vanilla, Crisp Flats or non-Gebrockts pasta. Their Ketchup and Tomato sauce does. (And regarding Tuna-Dagim does)
The Goodman’s Macaroons do not (Streit’s does)
The Glick’s Chocolate Chips do not yet my normal Hershey’s coco powder does.

Trust me, I can read a label.

*** I found an email and phone number online. I emailed them and if I don’t hear back in a timely fashion (yes, I know they are closed tomorrow) I will stalk them.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Really?
The Gefen tuna definitely does not have a date nor do most of their products-baking powder, Vanilla sugar, imitation Vanilla, Crisp Flats or non-Gebrockts pasta. Their Ketchup and Tomato sauce does. (And regarding Tuna-Dagim does)

*** I found an email and phone number online. I emailed them and if I don’t hear back in a timely fashion (yes, I know they are closed tomorrow) I will stalk them.

Right, and my annoyance is that they never put price tags on anything either!

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:11 am
Agree this doesn't like an expiration. Maybe check the label.

While on the topic of heimish packaging, why in heavens name can't nosh have a decent way of being opened on shabbos without tearing on the letters?! Most of your nosh is used by frum people for shabbos party and it's nearly impossible not to tear on the letters sometimes.

To end on a positive note though I really appreciate the availability of so many products and quality has definitely improved over the years. Also I noticed that the applicable brocha is often printed on the label these days...so appreciated.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:18 am
I'm following! Over the years I've had multiple fails when it comes to storing food for next pesach. canned goods were most successful, if no dents and no signs of expansion then save!

miami85

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:49 am
Since most dates are really "best by" and not "Expiration" dates it's really up to the consumer. Cans are designed to be used for years. The only thing I have known to really go bad after a long time are things with oils and artificial sweetners. Sugar--hence jellies/jams are known as preserves and salt--pickles/brined fishes are natural preservatives so they last a long time.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:20 am
Yes. Part of those codes are the expiration date. And I’ve been told by someone in food industry that they do this on purpose.

etky

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:24 am
I think it's done purposefully so that vendors can sell the surplus from one year to the next.
Here in Israel some stores were selling Gefen and Lieber non-kitniyot mayonnaise from last year because it wasn't available here this year (either wasn't imported or was stuck on a ship and couldn't be unloaded in time for the chag). The jars had no expiration date.

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why can’t the Haimish brands use normal expiration dates that the general public can decipher like every other normal company.

Why is it that I can tell when my Bumblebee Tuna is best by, but not the Gefen?

I would love to know if I could put unopened stuff away for next Pesach, as it is 2x as expensive as the regular brands I buy during the year (and honestly not 1/2 as good) but the expiration dates are an indecipherable code so I have no idea when they expire.

Anyone know how to read this?

Thank you

I liked this puzzle but the only thing I could decipher is maybe 22 is the year? In KD22.

Last edited by imaima on Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:30 am
So canned tuna should be ok if no dents etc?

I don't eat cans with dents/bubbles in metal because of food poisoning and botulism. But why do frum companies (especially Israeli ones!!) Use such cheap packaging that they dent on the way home from the grocery store?!? I used it right away (or repackaged in ziplocs if possible) but why cant they use the same cans that everyone else uses that will last a short car ride home?!?

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:51 am
I’m with u on this. not for pesach stuff specifically but in general. I find the heimish stuff rarely has dates and it bothers me. there is usually one brand tht will put dates and I find myself always buying those brands. I can’t recall off hand which brand it is but if the canned mushrooms from one brand does not have a date and the other does I will always buy the can with the day cuz I like knowing my food is fresh. which I know is an oxymoron being tht it’s canned but you know what I mean. maybe if other companies put dates I’d consider buying their products faster.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:27 am
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:
Agree this doesn't like an expiration. Maybe check the label.

While on the topic of heimish packaging, why in heavens name can't nosh have a decent way of being opened on shabbos without tearing on the letters?! Most of your nosh is used by frum people for shabbos party and it's nearly impossible not to tear on the letters sometimes.

To end on a positive note though I really appreciate the availability of so many products and quality has definitely improved over the years. Also I noticed that the applicable brocha is often printed on the label these days...so appreciated.

Send an email to the company and complain about the packaging.
Many companies want to know.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:35 am
Email these companies and complain about exp. dates! Vent everything to them! Threaten them you won't buy next year.
The frum community grows. The companies know it. It's in their interest to listen to their consumers.

twizzlers1

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:41 am
It seems like America has a law for literally everything. How is it possible that there's no law that they have to write in expiration date on things of food? I don't live there but visit and I remember seeing expiration dates on most things so it's really strange if it's not on the heimesh things and certainly not right. That is so frustrating.

life is fun

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 4:57 am
Ive given up looking for the dates.

If its got a lot of preservatives in I'd keep it for next year and freeze it of it doesn't, like ground nuts and matzo meal. Esp if its half price after yom tov.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 5:28 am
imaima wrote:
I liked this puzzle but the only thing I could decipher is maybe 22 is the year? In KD22.

And I was wondering if the 81 meant 5781, first month. As in already past the best before date

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 5:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Really?

If you work in the heimish food industry you know how to read the heimish label dates.
(Someone who works in the food industry once explained to me how it's read. Either by Jewish month or a few months off. I will double check exactly what the codes are.)

But if you work in the heimish food industry there is no way you don't know that.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen