Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach 2022 Hits and Misses?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:50 am
Which were your Pesach 2022 Hits and Misses on both recipes for home made food, and everything store bought from Shmura Matza to cakes, cookies, etc.

HITS:

Tiferes Thin Shmura Matza bought by Moishas were extremely thin and very cheap.

Kerestirer Matza was very good.

Oberlander Chocolate Chip Cookies were quite good for store bought cookies.

https://betweencarpools.com/9x.....oked/

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-1604 (Id have loved it even more with a fruity sauce).

OOTbubby Blondies

Ninas Biscuits

MISSES:

Lakewood Shmura (regular, not thin) was heavy and awful!

Oberlander Nut Kracowsky didnt have the clear window in the package and were overbaked and dry this year.

Liebers Deli Mustard was a yellow gel texture, that made me think of an unpleasant stomach condition.

https://betweencarpools.com/th.....-try/ not enough carrot in this cake to be called a Carrot Cake. All you can see are some orange specks. I usually love her recipes.

A flat large roast I bought at KRM was rubbery.

nicole81

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:09 am
Only miss- between carpools pizza dough. Never again. I'm disappointed that I didn't realize the recipe wouldn't work just my looking at it. I've never used anything from her site or books so not sure if this is common

Hits- like everything
Blondies from in here, chocolate cake from insta that I modified, coffee cake muffins from kosher.com that I modified a bunch, nut cookies from here, butter chicken over riced cauliflower, easy french roast that I made up (my 3 and 6 year olds ate about 3 pounds themselves in a meal!!) a freestyled butternut squash souffle, blueberry crisp, yapchik, schnitzel, burgers on pesach buns, soup, my tea room 😁, and a bunch of random recipes that I experiment with and make up.

I also have a lot of hit dishes from over the years that I didn't make since my hungriest teen was working a program this year. Bh at the point where everything is good and I'm comfortable enough with pesach ingredients to develop new and awesome dishes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 9:58 am
bump

For recipe hits please post link to recipes.

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:15 am
nicole81 wrote:
Only miss- between carpools pizza dough. Never again. I'm disappointed that I didn't realize the recipe wouldn't work just my looking at it. I've never used anything from her site or books so not sure if this is common

Hits- like everything
Blondies from in here, chocolate cake from insta that I modified, coffee cake muffins from kosher.com that I modified a bunch, nut cookies from here, butter chicken over riced cauliflower, easy french roast that I made up (my 3 and 6 year olds ate about 3 pounds themselves in a meal!!) a freestyled butternut squash souffle, blueberry crisp, yapchik, schnitzel, burgers on pesach buns, soup, my tea room 😁, and a bunch of random recipes that I experiment with and make up.

I also have a lot of hit dishes from over the years that I didn't make since my hungriest teen was working a program this year. Bh at the point where everything is good and I'm comfortable enough with pesach ingredients to develop new and awesome dishes.

I have between carpools cookbook. It's not pesach recipes. So far whatever I made was a hit.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:17 am
I tried that pesach pizza dough 3 years ago. Nasty.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:23 pm
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-6966

This recipe was not amazing.

The picture is misleading.

After baking for only 30-40 minutes you dont get that dark and crunchy a kugel crust, and after baking at 200 for a long time, the inside of the kugel DEFINITELY doesnt stay anywhere near white like in the photo.

I followed the recipe to the "T". The flanken became soft (big patchke to cut up the flanken) BUT the texture of the potato kugel wasnt exciting. It almost tasted like boiled chremslach. Ive never tasted Yapchik, but I assume the kugel part is supposed to taste like a creamy Overnight Kugel. This one def didnt.

nicole81

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://www.kosher.com/recipe/potato-flanken-kugel-yapchik-6966

This recipe was not amazing.

The picture is misleading.

After baking for only 30-40 minutes you dont get that dark and crunchy a kugel crust, and after baking at 200 for a long time, the inside of the kugel DEFINITELY doesnt stay anywhere near white like in the photo.

I followed the recipe to the "T". The flanken became soft (big patchke to cut up the flanken) BUT the texture of the potato kugel wasnt exciting. It almost tasted like boiled chremslach. Ive never tasted Yapchik, but I assume the kugel part is supposed to taste like a creamy Overnight Kugel. This one def didnt.

For future reference, don't bother cutting up meat like this if you don't have the time. The flanken would have been soft enough anyway to just cut through with a spoon as you scoop it out.

Also, I've never seen a yapchik that's white inside lol. Kinda can't happen with the amount of heat and time on the potatoes!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:57 pm
nicole81 wrote:
For future reference, don't bother cutting up meat like this if you don't have the time. The flanken would have been soft enough anyway to just cut through with a spoon as you scoop it out.

Also, I've never seen a yapchik that's white inside lol. Kinda can't happen with the amount of heat and time on the potatoes!

Very true. Its a FRAUD!!!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 12:58 pm
Everyone still too tired to add to this discussion?

imasinger

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:09 pm
I froze a bag of fresh cranberries back in the fall, and pulled it out to make cranberry sorbet for Pesach (we indulged in a Pesach ice cream maker for sorbets). Of all the flavors I have played with, this is my favorite yet -- it didn't require massive time and effort to strain the puree, and it was so refreshing!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:27 pm
Blooms Crunchy Thins (look like Flatbreads) was a box of SMALL broken pieces. Not usable.

shanie5

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 5:40 pm
I made yapchik for the first time-it was a great hit!

My usual chocolate chip cookies are always a hit (they are nicknamed "Shanie's chometzdik pesach cookies"

My friend posted a Chocolate chip cookie recipe that I tried-it was ok, but as mine are much better, I won't be making them again.

The jello I made was too watery-no one ate it

I made the blondies recipe I always make-recipe from here- and messed up while making one batch. Ended up lookin better than usual and tasting fine. Now I gotta decide if I will make them the usual way or the mistake way

DD wanted lukshen, so I told her to look up a recipe here-from Ra-mom-they were a hit too

My mom has a year round recipe for chocolate cream pie. I decided to use it for chocolate mousse. It was also a hit, though I do want to try it a little differently next time

The mashed potatoed we made were really good. I added mayo to them when mashing and they stayed creamy even after being refrigerated-they usually get hard and lumpy.

essie14

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 11:45 am
Lil miss cakes chocolate chip cookies have been a hit for 10 years. Never fail.
https://lilmisscakes.com/2011/.....okies

Overtime cook honey garlic Corned beef. First time I made this and huge hit.
https://overtimecook.com/2021/.....beef/

Our machine matza went stale very quickly for some reason.

There was something that didn't come out so great but I can't remember now what it was!

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 11:53 am
I did not like the chocolate chip cookies from between carpools.

Loved the brownies & choc chip cake from ra-mom, almond flour blondies from between carpools.

I made a broccoli kugel and apple kugel that all my kids loved.

ETA yapchik was a hit also shabbos day (and before y"t)

Last edited by jewishmom6 on Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 11:55 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
I did not like the chocolate chip cookies from between carpools.

Loved the brownies & choc chip cake from ra-mom, almond flour blondies from between carpools.

I made a broccoli kugel and apple kugel that all my kids loved.

Which Apple Kugel recipe?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 11:57 am
essie14 wrote:
Lil miss cakes chocolate chip cookies have been a hit for 10 years. Never fail.
https://lilmisscakes.com/2011/.....okies

Overtime cook honey garlic Corned beef. First time I made this and huge hit.
https://overtimecook.com/2021/.....beef/

Our machine matza went stale very quickly for some reason.

There was something that didn't come out so great but I can't remember now what it was!

Put it in the oven on 200F for 10min. It gets it fresh again.
We do it before the Seder.

Chloe22

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:00 pm
Shatzer Matzohs. Very expensive and every matzah except for one was broken!!!

heidi

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:11 pm
My yapchik was incredible. I had my butcher cut boneless flanken into strips. Baked uncovered at 425° for 1.5 hours and then tightly double foil covered at 250° for 6 hours. Then I put it in the fridge and warmed it on the plata shabbat morning. Delicious and white inside. I found a great crumb cake recipe and amazing chocolate chip cookies. All my cakes were made with olive oil. No one could tell.
Fails- too much potato starch in my made up carrot kugel . Underbought tin pans and disposable plates. Turkey came out dry.
All in all a beautiful chag BH

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:11 pm
Lieber's tomato sauce was awful, way too watery.

jewishmom6

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Which Apple Kugel recipe?

There was one from kosher.com called apple kugel muffins. Only my husband tried that but my kids didnt want to try it.

Between carpools one everyone ate and liked it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics