Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to let go of things and throw out not needed stuff Updat
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 6:45 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
If books are hard do them last.

Questions to ask- Will I ever read this again? How often? Can I get it from a library? Would I pay money to buy this is I didn't own it and it was in a shop?
Sorry I edited not in time for your reply (look 3 posts behind)

mushkamothers

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 6:53 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Oh I love this! Do U know which meforash says this?

It's chabad chassidus
Likkutei Sichot, vol. 15, p. 280.

Footnote 6 of this article

https://www.chabad.org/parshah.....r.htm
Quote:
Though G‑d is transcendent, He projected an aura of divine presence into the universe. This aura lies concealed. It is not permitted to make itself known to mankind. The Patriarchs and their offspring were charged with revealing this aura through the propagation of divine knowledge and observance of the divine commandments.

It was Jacob’s task to reveal the auras concealed within the homes of Laban and Esau. Every object that Jacob touched was utilized for the worship of G‑d. In so doing, Jacob elevated these objects to a higher plane. He revealed the aura within them and realized their G‑dly potential.5

When he crossed the river and realized that he had left a few items on the other side, he went back to retrieve them. He knew that the aura within them would otherwise remain forever imprisoned in the unholy environment of his uncle’s home.6

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 2:25 pm
Pretend you're moving cross-country and are paying a mover by weight or volume. Is the item you're looking at worth the cost of moving it? If the answer is no, out it goes.

Another mom

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 2:49 pm
Dear OP and others
I think this was hysterical.. and would answer some of your questions--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....White

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 3:37 pm
Another mom wrote:
Dear OP and others
I think this was hysterical.. and would answer some of your questions--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....White

My friend summed this up as follows: Decide how much space you want to dedicate to each category of stuff (handbags, shoes, chocolate, cookware, stationery, chocolate, clothing, art supplies, mementoes, chocolate, etc.). once that space is full, don't acquire anything more without getting rid of something in that category to make room for it. She called this the "Real Estate Method of Organization" and it took her about sixty seconds to describe it. Why did this woman take over SIXTEEN MINUTES to say the exact same thing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 5:41 pm
Thanks to all for the advice and video links. I just started a bit. Feeling more lighter. I never knew that this thing was a psycological thing.(I learned the term clutter from here) I wanted to know if anyone here have any one video that sums it all up and gives a breif description what to do. The channels listed are great and worthwhile but I cant listen to all in one day.

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 12:36 pm
There are multiple organizing/decluttering gurus (guras? gurini?) who have podcasts. Clutterbug is only one of them. The other night I started listening to a few just before bedtime. MISTAKE! At 2 a.m. I was still going around tidying and dejunking. You'd think that after spending a month spring cleaning I'd have dejunked right down to the bone but no...

It does help to listen to these things, because they make you think about dejunking things you'd otherwise overlook.

mushkale

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 1:10 pm
This is all good and I'm on working on this as well. My issue is with things like the broken watch that my husband bought me for our first yom tov after being married. It was not cheap, I wore it till the band broke. I'm sure it can be fixed but I haven't used it in 2 years but also how can I throw that out...

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 2:40 pm
mushkale wrote:
This is all good and I'm on working on this as well. My issue is with things like the broken watch that my husband bought me for our first yom tov after being married. It was not cheap, I wore it till the band broke. I'm sure it can be fixed but I haven't used it in 2 years but also how can I throw that out...

It’s only a watch, not your dh. You’re not rejecting him if you toss it. It’s not accruing interest on the purchase price, and the money it cost him is gone, never to return. It’s not doing you any good sitting in a drawer, and leaving it unused doesn’t exactly show appreciation for it.

You don’t live on a desert island. I’ll wager you live less than 20 minutes from a jeweler shop. Maybe even a five-minute mosey. Get the thing fixed, already, or put it out of your misery and drop it in recycling.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 10:20 am
So B"H I did a major cleanup in one area and was able to discard many stuff or set aside for donation. For some reason however I got stuck with these items and having a hard time deciding wheter to dispose keep or put in a special place.

Pocket siddur (not used for years)

Sticky notes pad

Ace Bandage (it had to be used a few times before but not always)

Mutiple Usb cords and phone chargers , I know I have to keep some but don't know how many to keep

Old flip phones (some not even working anymore)

User manuals to different things

glowing belt (used for night in dark places outdoors especially Shabbos where light cant be turned on so drivers can notice you I live in a place though that there is ample light outside and don't wear it, I used to take it with me when I went to lakewood or diff. places for shabbos)

tags with last name that can be ironed onto clothing (was too lasy to do it and only did twice)

usb cards

Various cds (one with music, one discussing the dangers of internet with various speakers, and two with x ray scans)

Just wanted to know what would someone here do with these items or what measures would you use to decide.

But on the other hand my mind feels more "free and liberated" and clearer than before.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So B"H I did a major cleanup in one area and was able to discard many stuff or set aside for donation. For some reason however I got stuck with these items and having a hard time deciding wheter to dispose keep or put in a special place.

Pocket siddur (not used for years)

Sticky notes pad

Ace Bandage (it had to be used a few times before but not always)

Mutiple Usb cords and phone chargers , I know I have to keep some but don't know how many to keep

Old flip phones (some not even working anymore)

User manuals to different things

glowing belt (used for night in dark places outdoors especially Shabbos where light cant be turned on so drivers can notice you I live in a place though that there is ample light outside and don't wear it, I used to take it with me when I went to lakewood or diff. places for shabbos)

tags with last name that can be ironed onto clothing (was too lasy to do it and only did twice)

usb cards

Various cds (one with music, one discussing the dangers of internet with various speakers, and two with x ray scans)

Just wanted to know what would someone here do with these items or what measures would you use to decide.

But on the other hand my mind feels more "free and liberated" and clearer than before.
Anyone ?

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:27 pm
Maybe if you dont use day to day but need when traveling put pocket siddur & reflectors into your travel bags, suitcases so you have them when needed and it's not cluttering up your space.

Speakers you listened to and wont listen again to, either dump or donate to such a type of library.

CD withs x ray scans if not needed anymore dump if needed for further evaluation treatment or for reference then place with your medical records

dankbar

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:30 pm
Broken flip phones garbage
Instruction manuals most you can find online when need it.
Manuals from stuff that you disposed of already for sure garbage. Warranties expired garbage.

Sticky notes put together with your office supplies/school supplies

Ace bands keep together with your first aid supplies

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 3:32 pm
I just wanted to tell you that Bh I decluttered a nice amount and feel more "clear minded". I still have a nice amount to go and have to train myself to not buy unnecessary things, but I at least did step one. Thanks for all the tips and advice.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 6:03 pm
I'm no expert or role model, but I really enjoy Minimal Mom. One thing that really stick with me is how a hotel room or vacation home is so relaxing, because it's so bare. There are no dirty dishes or laundry (at least when you arrive), no clutter that yells (silently) to be put away, etc. Obviously, you bring your (minimal amount of) clothes, and if there for more than a night, probably some food/dishes, but it's precisely the emptiness that's so relaxing.

In terms of practicality,I didn't read through everything, but I saw someone mention an idea she suggests for when it's hard to decide. Put it in a box labeled "Discard on xx/xx/xx" (you decide 6 months, 1 year, etc) and if you haven't needed to open the box (seal it!), then you don't need those cords, manuals, etc, and you don't open it, and just pitch when the time arrives. Emotionally, I think that's helpful for me, since I have hoarder tendencies. The Minimal Mom mentioned how she once discarded a cord/charger for her camera, and then when she realized she had, she ended up replacing for maybe $20, and it was worth it for getting all that clutter out.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 6:07 pm
What do you do with a box full of photo albums and pictures from when you were a kid high-school etc?
I have a full album of when I was a counselor of my campers whose names I dont even know or remember!
Keep or toss ?

zaq

Post Sun, May 15 2022, 7:02 pm
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
What do you do with a box full of photo albums and pictures from when you were a kid high-school etc?
I have a full album of when I was a counselor of my campers whose names I dont even know or remember!
Keep or toss ?

TOSS. If you recognize any of the kids and know where to find them, send them the pics in which they appear. Otherwise, shred them and send them on their way. The pics, not the kids.

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 4:12 am
I have a few rules with determining what to purge. If I have something broken, I replace it with the same item that is not broken. If I have an item that I'm not sure if I should get rid of it, I think about what are the scenarios that could come up that I will need it. I then decide if I have another item that can fill that need. If I do then I determine one of two, either it needs to fulfill that need better or it needs to fulfill more needs. For example, I bought a beautiful cutting board and I watched hours of youtube videos and practiced many hours to up my knife skills. After a few months, I felt confident getting rid of most of my specialty slicing gadgets. Now, I am no longer tempted to try new ones because I can do it all, and fast with my chef's knife.

Tip with mascara, I am a makeup artist and a bit makeup obsessed. I have tried over 20 mascaras over the years, drugstore and luxury. There is no difference. Loreal makes amazing mascaras and maybelline makes an amazing waterproof one which is perfect for shabbos. Just as examples although I could rip on so many luxury brands, Chanel clumps, buxom is too thin and my eyes get irritated from Mac and YSL.

Heyaaa

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 4:14 am
amother [ Oxfordblue ] wrote:
Keep or toss ?

If it's nostalgic enough then upload the favorites to snapfish and make a collage book of that decade.

zaq

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:24 am
Heyaaa wrote:
If it's nostalgic enough then upload the favorites to snapfish and make a collage book of that decade.

How nostalgic could camp pics be if she doesn't even remember the kids' names?
Page 3 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics