Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to let go of things and throw out not needed stuff Updat
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

Heyaaa

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 10:28 am
zaq wrote:
How nostalgic could camp pics be if she doesn't even remember the kids' names?

If it’s nostalgic enough to do the work and spend the money (10-20$) then it’s nostalgic enough. If it’s not, then she won’t. Also I would make a photo album of that entire decade and probably only include a handful of photos from that summer, if even that many.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 8:56 pm
What do I do with loose change ( pennies nickels dimes) scattered in different places ? Do I just set it for tzedaka , put in piggy bank or save for payments to pay exact in full so not to break a dollar ?

dankbar

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 9:12 pm
I keep them in one place when the boys go from door to door for tzedaka or to give a delivery guy a tip

zaq

Post Wed, May 18 2022, 10:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do I do with loose change ( pennies nickels dimes) scattered in different places ? Do I just set it for tzedaka , put in piggy bank or save for payments to pay exact in full so not to break a dollar ?

You must have plenty of money if you can be so cavalier about it and leave it lying around all over the place. But don't you have a wallet? No? Ask your dh to buy you one for your next b-day, and in the meantime buy a kiddie zippered pencil case at the dollar store to stash your hoard when you go shopping or whatever it is you do that nets you all this loose change.

Next, get a nice bowl, a coffee can, your grandmother's samovar or an egg carton for gosh sakes, and put it on your dresser. Every night after brushing your teeth (or before if that's more convenient), take your purse, wallet or zippered pencil case or whatever you use to tote your moolah around in and empty it into that bowl-can-samovar-egg carton.

Next time you pass a bank, go inside and ask the nice cashier to give you some coin wrappers. It's better but not essential to use a bank where you have an account; they may charge you something for the wrappers if you're not a customer of theirs.

When your cup (or bowl-can-samovar-egg carton) runneth over, start sorting the contents. Then count each type of coin and fill your wrappers. 50 pennies go in each penny wrapper, 50 dimes into the dime wrapper,40 nickels in each nickel wrapper, 40 quarters in the quarter wrappers. (You could also just lug your sack full of coins to a bank branch that has a coin counter, though some banks will charge you for using theirs if you don't have an account with them. You can then take the receipt from the coin counter to a cashier and deposit that sum into your bank account if you're a customer, or exchange it for paper currency of equal value.)

Or you could take those nicely wrapped coins and give them to your kids as rewards, make a supermarket cashier's day (not) by paying for your groceries with them, seal the ends with tape and use them as paperweights or to press flowers, stuff them into old socks and use for weight training...use your imagination. You could even wrap your pile of coins in aluminum foil and use it as a pie weight when you bake an unfilled pie crust.

Of course you could also put all your loose change into a pushke from your children's school and bring it in to the office every now and then. Now there's a win-win: you get rid of all the money that's been plaguing you and the yeshiva gets a donation.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Give it to me.
You're welcome.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I keep them in a small box. I used to wrap and bring to my bank. A local store has a coin star machine and at least when I went there was no charge or fee if I took the cash as a gift card. And they had plenty of options that I could use.

creditcards

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 2:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I recently came to a conclusion (I don't know if it's right or not but this is what I feel) that part of the reason I don't have a clear mind is because I tend to keep too many things and have a hard time throwing things out that I don't use because I may need to use it someday. I came to decision that I want to become free and detach myself from these distractions and want to throw out some stuff. I don't know what to start with and what rational system/thought to use to decide when I go through my stuff whether to keep it and it's needed or throw out.

Anyone had this feeling/experience before ? How do you decide what to keep and what to throw out ?

Don't stress over it Get an organizer!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:22 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
I keep them in a small box. I used to wrap and bring to my bank. A local store has a coin star machine and at least when I went there was no charge or fee if I took the cash as a gift card. And they had plenty of options that I could use.
Any Bank or store near me that would have such a machine ? (11229)

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 8:22 am
zaq wrote:
You must have plenty of money if you can be so cavalier about it and leave it lying around all over the place. But don't you have a wallet? No? Ask your dh to buy you one for your next b-day, and in the meantime buy a kiddie zippered pencil case at the dollar store to stash your hoard when you go shopping or whatever it is you do that nets you all this loose change.

Next, get a nice bowl, a coffee can, your grandmother's samovar or an egg carton for gosh sakes, and put it on your dresser. Every night after brushing your teeth (or before if that's more convenient), take your purse, wallet or zippered pencil case or whatever you use to tote your moolah around in and empty it into that bowl-can-samovar-egg carton.

Next time you pass a bank, go inside and ask the nice cashier to give you some coin wrappers. It's better but not essential to use a bank where you have an account; they may charge you something for the wrappers if you're not a customer of theirs.

When your cup (or bowl-can-samovar-egg carton) runneth over, start sorting the contents. Then count each type of coin and fill your wrappers. 50 pennies go in each penny wrapper, 50 dimes into the dime wrapper,40 nickels in each nickel wrapper, 40 quarters in the quarter wrappers. (You could also just lug your sack full of coins to a bank branch that has a coin counter, though some banks will charge you for using theirs if you don't have an account with them. You can then take the receipt from the coin counter to a cashier and deposit that sum into your bank account if you're a customer, or exchange it for paper currency of equal value.)

Or you could take those nicely wrapped coins and give them to your kids as rewards, make a supermarket cashier's day (not) by paying for your groceries with them, seal the ends with tape and use them as paperweights or to press flowers, stuff them into old socks and use for weight training...use your imagination. You could even wrap your pile of coins in aluminum foil and use it as a pie weight when you bake an unfilled pie crust.

Of course you could also put all your loose change into a pushke from your children's school and bring it in to the office every now and then. Now there's a win-win: you get rid of all the money that's been plaguing you and the yeshiva gets a donation.
Well written thank you !

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 10:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I put it aside for licht bensching and challah.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:38 am
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
I put it aside for licht bensching and challah.

And then what do you do with it? AISI, you haven't disposed of it, merely moved it from point A to point B. Do you bring your pushka to the tzedaka office, or does a meshulach come, collect the contents and give you a receipt the way they did in my grandmother's day?

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 11:42 am
amother [ Gardenia ] wrote:
And then what do you do with it? AISI, you haven't disposed of it, merely moved it from point A to point B. Do you bring your pushka to the tzedaka office, or does a meshulach come, collect the contents and give you a receipt the way they did in my grandmother's day?

It's my kids' and grandkids' school pushka. When it's full I bring it to the business office and let them count it out.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 4:10 pm
I count and wrap the coins myself and write the school a check for the proceeds, rounding up to the nearest five- or ten-dollar value. I figure the time it takes for the office worker to sort, count and wrap the coins probably costs the yeshiva more in terms of paying the office worker than it makes from the pushka. If the worker has to bring the coins to the bank, kal vachomer. Sure, they collect the pennies that the preschoolers bring in, but that's all in the name of chinuch, not fundraising.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 5:48 pm
I count and wrap the coins myself and write the school a check for the proceeds, rounding up to the nearest five- or ten-dollar value. I figure the time it takes for the office worker to sort, count and wrap the coins probably costs the yeshiva more in terms of paying the office worker than it makes from the pushka. If the worker has to bring the coins to the bank, kal vachomer. Sure, they collect the pennies that the preschoolers bring in, but that's all in the name of chinuch, not fundraising.

Ooh, you've inspired me. Where do you get the rolls?
Though there are usually some bills in there - kids when they come to visit, others.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:37 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Ooh, you've inspired me. Where do you get the rolls?
Though there are usually some bills in there - kids when they come to visit, others.

I go to my bank and ask a teller for assorted coin wrappers. I empty out my pushkas only every few months and only need to ask for more coin wrappers once every year or two, if that. Depends on how generous the teller is when I ask for them.

amother
Blueberry

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:39 pm

We just keep recycling the coins. Coins go into a bowl to be used for tzedakah in the morning, before cooking, before lighting candles. Sometimes kids take to school for tzedakah there.

When the pushka is full, count the big coins, estimate the little ones, donate online and dump the coins back into the bowls.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 10:10 pm
I know this might or might not be connected but this thought came to mind over yom tov. I also have a tendency to have a hard time letting go of my feelings and emotions especially if someone hurt me , I have a tendency of keeping it in my heart (unfortunately) , which is a side thing I am working on in my life. Just wanted to know if there is any connection between having a hard time letting go of not needed items and letting go of not needed feelings ? Can this also be part of the reason of my clutter ?

(I wanted to say that btw I have declttered a nice amount till now and feel really "lighter" and more clear minded)

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 11:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know this might or might not be connected but this thought came to mind over yom tov. I also have a tendency to have a hard time letting go of my feelings and emotions especially if someone hurt me , I have a tendency of keeping it in my heart (unfortunately) , which is a side thing I am working on in my life. Just wanted to know if there is any connection between having a hard time letting go of not needed items and letting go of not needed feelings ? Can this also be part of the reason of my clutter ?

(I wanted to say that btw I have declttered a nice amount till now and feel really "lighter" and more clear minded)

https://cherishedwives.com/emo.....ding/

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 06 2022, 11:28 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
https://cherishedwives.com/emotional-hoarding/
WOW ! Thanks .

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 6:54 pm
Now I am up to the shaimos stuff (I told the whole family that it's time to get clean and only keep what they truly need or plan on using).
Any recommendations where to dropoff (Brooklyn) or any other ideas ? If there is a company that picks up it would also be appreciated.
Page 4 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics