Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Reasons youre happy you didnt get a cheap kitchen?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 11:39 pm
I was actually concerned about getting white painted cabinets since I have a galley kitchen and because it is narrow I was afraid of it getting nicked quickly. I am actually considering a light grey stained cabinet. I saw a nice one by fabuwood called horizon. Any thoughts?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 11:51 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
I was actually concerned about getting white painted cabinets since I have a galley kitchen and because it is narrow I was afraid of it getting nicked quickly. I am actually considering a light grey stained cabinet. I saw a nice one by fabuwood called horizon. Any thoughts?

I have it for four years and super happy

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 11:53 pm
Really? I wish I could see it! what color floor and counters did you get?

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 11:56 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
Really? I wish I could see it! what color floor and counters did you get?

Lazer marble paired the floor and backsplash for me. White textured subway tile for backsplash and my tile is a matte grey and white marble look that is the same shade of the cabinets. My counter is quartz white with grey veining thick ones. I also put copper hardware to bring in warmth

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:01 am
cupcake123 wrote:
We have cubitec white painted. So far so good but have for a pretty short while.

Is that company pricey?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:20 am
cupcake123 wrote:
We have cubitec white painted. So far so good but have for a pretty short while.

Do you know others who have this brand and are happy with iot for years?

If yes, would you know who the Authorized dealers are who carry this brand?

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 8:21 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Lazer marble paired the floor and backsplash for me. White textured subway tile for backsplash and my tile is a matte grey and white marble look that is the same shade of the cabinets. My counter is quartz white with grey veining thick ones. I also put copper hardware to bring in warmth

Is the overall look of your kitchen light?

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 8:22 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
Is the overall look of your kitchen light?

Yes for sure

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 8:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you know others who have [Cubitac] and are happy with iot for years?

If yes, would you know who the Authorized dealers are who carry this brand?

Cubitac is a stock line. If you can upgrade to Blum slides and glides, it's pretty decent in quality. Close to Fabuwood but less expensive (I sell both, but only in Maryland). Cubitac is widely available in New Jersey and New York.

But if you can afford custom or a good semi-custom line, well, you get what you pay for.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 9:22 am
amother [ Maple ] wrote:
I have fabuwood. Confused
Is it really considered that bad? Is it really considered that cheap?

It isn't that simple.

I believe that Fabuwood has several different lines and those are different priced and have different options.

Also the final cost of kitchen cabinets will depend on all of the details. Some "higher" priced cabinet lines have stuff that is standard so that the final cost when you upgrade the less expensive line is actually higher.

Also depending on your kitchen configuration you will sometimes not be able to make it as functional as possible with a less expensive line because they have fewer options so you will need more filler. For example, IKEA cabinets are very high quality especially for their price but they have more limited options so you have to work with them. FWIW there are companies that specialize in doors for IKEA boxes so you can get the IKEA boxes and then use door styles that are more "interesting".

Finally the kitchen designer and the kitchen installed and your GC are really going to be most responsible for the end result assuming you don't get an absolute garbage brand of cabinets. A talented kitchen designer knows how to make the most of the cabinet lines they sell and will advise honestly and knowledgable about what is worth upgrading to.

You need to have a realistic budget but if you have a good kitchen designer they will be able to make the most of your budget. A kitchen renovation - especially now - is a very expensive thing to do. Lots of people get sticker shock when they first hear what the actual costs will be for a relatively modest kitchen.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 10:24 am
Costs are way up. Everybody is busy raising prices — Fabuwood is raising prices 8-12% in a few days but at least you can get it quickly. Lead times for semi-custom and custom lines have gotten verrrry long. Some types of hardware are unavailable or in short supply.

Fabuwood has more than one grade. Their "Value" line has a few compromises — for example, the usable top drawer height is only 2-½", and Value has fewer sizes and options. Choices in paint or stain colors or door style can vary substantially in price (this is true of all brands).

In general, buy the best quality you can afford and get a good designer. And be prepared for sticker shock.

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 11:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It seems that everyones painted white kitchens get chipped.

Would you buy a white kitchen again because white makes the kitchen more spacious looking and clean?

I did a wood white/navy kitchen (not cheap) the navy actually shows more dirt then the white both chipped abit right away but that was it
I’m really happy with my choice I love my kitchen. The white is nice and airy

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 11:45 am
Actually in the midst of choosing a kitchen. Kitchen place told me any painted white will chip, cheaper will chip quicker than better quality. I actually think I’m going to do upper white fabuwood cabinets and the lower an Acrylic matte wood color with island and pantry that wood color using a custom cabinet company. So the price will be a little higher than a fully fabuwood kitchen but not the cost of a full custom kitchen. Would love to do a fully white kitchen but I also have a bunch of small children and know it will get killed.

Not_in_my_town

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 11:55 am
I have a cheaper kitchen. $10,000 A-Z, not including appliances.
Cubitac cabinetry. (Not the least expensive, but the second level up.)
3 years old. Still looks gorgeous and high end. No one believes how little I spent.
I think the color helps a lot to make it look higher end. Dark gray.
Not sure how white would look now, 3 years after installing.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:04 pm
So is it a given that if I choose a white kitchen it wont stay looking good for too long?

What are my options for the most sturdy material if I want a white kitchen? At the end of the day, isnt wood the easiest to repair, much easier to repair than any other material that chips?

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:05 pm
Just ordered my kitchen
Upper in white matte shaker doors
Lower charcoal grey wood grain all drawer base
Counter and backsplash in matte marble look ( not sure of material) with thin black veins
Hardware in black
Some upper doors with glass
Fabuwood

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:06 pm
amother [ Oldlace ] wrote:
Just ordered my kitchen
Upper in white matte shaker doors
Lower charcoal grey wood grain all drawer base
Counter and backsplash in matte marble look ( not sure of material) with thin black veins
Hardware in black
Some upper doors with glass
Fabuwood

Curious how much you paid. I just ordered white matte kitchen, island natural wood with all custom cabinets.

Not_in_my_town

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:09 pm
Upper doors in glass = makes a huge difference in lending the look of high quality to a lower end kitchen
I put a few display cabinets and its stunning

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 3:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So is it a given that if I choose a white kitchen it wont stay looking good for too long?

What are my options for the most sturdy material if I want a white kitchen? At the end of the day, isnt wood the easiest to repair, much easier to repair than any other material that chips?

I purchased my home from someone who had just refinished the kitchen, and then had to relocate for work. I don't know the type of cabinet, but seriously doubt that they're high end given other renovations done by them. So the cabinets are white, about 23 years old. B'li ayin hara, they still look fine -- not grungy or chipped or anything. We did have the laminate on one drawer melt off a bit when I had the blech flame too high, but I was able to repair that myself more than a decade ago.

I seriously don't know what people are doing to their cabinets that look bad after 5 years.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 3:15 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I purchased my home from someone who had just refinished the kitchen, and then had to relocate for work. I don't know the type of cabinet, but seriously doubt that they're high end given other renovations done by them. So the cabinets are white, about 23 years old. B'li ayin hara, they still look fine -- not grungy or chipped or anything. We did have the laminate on one drawer melt off a bit when I had the blech flame too high, but I was able to repair that myself more than a decade ago.

I seriously don't know what people are doing to their cabinets that look bad after 5 years.

Quality goes down as the years pass. Manufacturers use cheaper materials to survive. I grew up in a wood kitchen (wood-mode) I'm sure it was expensive but it still looked new after 20 years. Think it had a lifetime warranty.

OP, if you can afford wood go for it.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics