Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers
Online programming courses for beginners

ocean blue

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:06 pm
My son is bored in yeshiva during bein hasedarim and he would like to do something constructive during that time. Someone suggested taking an online programming course. That sounds interesting but there are a million courses available and having no experience in the field, I would not know what to choose. Anyone with suggestions? He will be able to dedicate about an hour and a half max, 5 days a week. Also the program needs to be 100% kosher with only male teachers (assuming teachers actually teach??) and take no more than 3 months. It would be great if he could get some type of certificate upon completion and continue further if he is interested.
He is 18 and very bright. Tia!

hodeez

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:09 pm
He can start off with codecademy. Free and educational. I still use it to brush up on skills

puzzlepieces

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:14 pm
Hi!

Most courses are either 3 months full time or 9 months part time.
For frum options there are a few:

Lakewoodprogramming.com (9 months), can be done online, classes are live 2x a week for 3 hours but can be watched afterwards

Other options include PCS Lakewood (a bit longer) and Institute for career advancement (I don't more much about this one) https://icainstitute.com/

If he wants a self paced program I think they do exist but I don't know of any frum ones.

ocean blue

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:58 pm
He wants a self-paced program, but he just wants to do a short intro program to keep busy and see for himself if he enjoys the field. It doesnt have to be a frum program but should have only male teachers.

ocean blue

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:59 pm
I will look into the Lakewood program. Thanx. But if anyone has any other ideas?

puzzlepieces

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:24 pm
There are plenty of online programs such as code academy but I cannot verify that all the teachers are male. The only way to guarantee that would be to choose a frum program.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:47 pm
I have a DS who wanted to learn about coding a couple years ago during the Covid lockdown. He's younger than your DS, but we enrolled him in 2 intro classes, one for Scratch and one for Python. Both are taught by males. One is free and the other less than $20, and both are self-paced. DS enjoyed them both.

https://www.udemy.com/course/p.....ntro/
https://www.udemy.com/course/p.....kids/

juggling

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:59 pm
Khan academy has coding, too.

sara_s

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 2:02 pm
If he is self disciplined he could do a course on Coursera. It is free to watch and paid for marked assignments and a certificate. I would start with trying it out for free to see which course he likes best. Personally I would recommend to start with Python, it's a great first language- easy to learn, easy to run, flexible and powerful.

ocean blue

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 5:17 pm
Just took a look and it sounds like what we are looking for. Could you explain why he should start with python? Is it the most common language or easier to learn?

imanonymous

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 5:19 pm
ocean blue wrote:
Just took a look and it sounds like what we are looking for. Could you explain why he should start with python? Is it the most common language or easier to learn?

Python is considered one of the easiest languages to learn, and it's becoming more and more popular.

ocean blue

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 5:42 pm
Thanks everyone for your helpful responses!

sara_s

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 6:35 pm
ocean blue wrote:

In the 90s the first language would typically be C (and before that Pascal) but those are harder to learn in terms of syntax, and can do a lot less (they have other advantages I won't get into here)

Then in the early 2000s the first languages taught were Java or C++ but they are also complicated to get right at first try and lots of stuff will rely on external libraries which can be complex to get the hang of.

Python is cool because even a beginner can build quite impressive stuff quite fast using easily imported modules and the same language syntax and that is motivating.

Python is also versatile. He can then do more advanced courses in Object Oriented Programming with Python which are the foundations of computer engineering, or web programming courses, or data science and data analytics also with Python.

To summarize if he turns it into a career he should for sure learn other languages afterwards for versatility (and there is a lot of important theory around algorithms, operating systems etc to learn too) but Python is a very good language to start with.

sara_s

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 6:39 pm
I just searched Coursera and this course could be a good option
https://www.coursera.org/learn/python

I also saw google offered a Python course on Coursera.

And then when he finishes the intro course he can move on to more advanced courses there
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics