Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Redoing kitchen- what’s the process? Recommendations please
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 10:48 am
My kitchen is in desperate need to be replaced. I keep pushing it off because I can’t figure out how to go about it. I’m very indecisive and have a hard time choosing things. I need hand holding.
Who do I call first? A designer? Decorator? Space planner? Contractor?
A kitchen place wrote me up a plan but how do I get what best suits my needs?

Thank you in advance

Chayalle

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 10:59 am
When I redid my kitchen in my old house, I first contacted a kitchen designer (he worked for a particular kitchen place.) He came down, measured, asked me questions about what I want, etc...and created a plan. He had me choose cabinets and countertops.

He then referred me to a contractor (I could've also found my own) and the contractor implemented the plan. The contracter came and demolished my kitchen, ripped out the old floor, put in a new floor (he directed me to choose new tiles), and then did the plumbing (he had a plumber) and then installed the new cabinets. He also worked with the kitchen place to make my counters and he installed a backsplash (which I chose from tile place.)

In my new house I've opted to keep the existing cabinets, but I recently replaced the (horrible and ugly) countertops and backsplash (granite and porclain tile). At the same time, I also put in two D sinks instead of one double sink. I worked with a granite place, a plumber, and a contractor (for the tile).

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:04 am
Definitely a kitchen designer first if you need "hand holding" and a lot of help with decisions — not just someone who will give you a good layout but who also will walk you through the process and will give you a lot of attention.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:09 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Definitely a kitchen designer first if you need "hand holding" and a lot of help with decisions — not just someone who will give you a good layout but who also will walk you through the process and will give you a lot of attention.

Kitchen designer is through a kitchen place or private consultant? Recommendations?

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:27 am
I’m just about done mine. I went to the kitchen place first and used their in house designer. I then brought my decorator to help with her opinions and then brought her to all my other shopping - tiles, handles, counters, lighting etc

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:38 am
Can I just trust that any kitchen place designer will give me the best design?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:54 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No.

Also, industry practices in regard to things like finder's fees (aka kickbacks), spiffs, and incentives may influence a designer to steer you toward particular choices.

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Also not all kitchen designers are equally talented or experienced,

When I was in the process of preparing to remodel I visited a lot of different kitchen places because they generally stock different lines. And I met with various kitchen designers.

Before you do anything you should take time to find out as much as you can about kitchens and cabinets. Clip pictures. Take note of stuff that adds functionality that you might not have thought of. The best kitchens are a collaboration between a talented designed and the end user because you know how you want your kitchen to function and the kitchen designer can translate that into an actual kitchen.

No one has mentioned budget. You need to determine what your budget is and find out whether that is a realistic amount. Kitchens are expensive and many people are experiencing "sticker shock" because the cost is so much more than they thought it would be. You would need to let a designer know what your budget is.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:39 pm
Amarante wrote:
Also not all kitchen designers are equally talented or experienced,

When I was in the process of preparing to remodel I visited a lot of different kitchen places because they generally stock different lines. And I met with various kitchen designers.

Before you do anything you should take time to find out as much as you can about kitchens and cabinets. Clip pictures. Take note of stuff that adds functionality that you might not have thought of. The best kitchens are a collaboration between a talented designed and the end user because you know how you want your kitchen to function and the kitchen designer can translate that into an actual kitchen.

No one has mentioned budget. You need to determine what your budget is and find out whether that is a realistic amount. Kitchens are expensive and many people are experiencing "sticker shock" because the cost is so much more than they thought it would be. You would need to let a designer know what your budget is.

This post very much overwhelmes me!! I don’t have the capacity for this. I will get stressed and overwhelmed. Hence my kitchen floor coming up for a few years (no tiles, popping up wood) and new kitchen never happening.

I need someone I can trust that can handle the project for me.

I have approx 60k available for all my home repairs. Oh course I’d rather spend less if I can.
I care for practicality, quality, Easy to maintain etc most.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:52 pm
How big is your kitchen?

If you live in Maryland, you can call me. Otherwise, tell us where you live and let's see if we can get you recommendations.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:53 pm
Lakewood. This is posted in Lakewood section.

Town house. Typical Lakewood town house size.

I appreciate all the help!

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:57 pm
I recently did my kitchen as well. I just went with the kitchen designer I heard on this sight and was local enough. I can't say im not happy with my kitchen, it's beautiful. but I did have to think for myself a few too many times. she had her "ways" and strong opinions on things and tried pushing them on me. I shouldn't have to fight the person I hired to allow my own opinions.

just saying (as someone else already wrote), do your research, take screenshots of kitchens you find aesthetically pleasing. look around your current kitchen and notice what you do and do not like.
when the kitchen designer is drawing up the plans, keep in mind this kitchen is for YOU, not for them! if you feel something should be different, say something!

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 1:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Lakewood. This is posted in Lakewood section.

Town house. Typical Lakewood town house size.

I appreciate all the help!

Just saying about your $60k budget that prices are through the roof. I started off at a 60k budget and I intended to put in a mid range kitchen and I think we are totaling $75-80k right now

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 1:16 pm
I wouldn’t spend money on a designer if your budget is 60k. Kitchen designer should be fine. Get a friend who learned from her own experience what works and what doesn’t. A good kitchen place has in house designers.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 1:22 pm
Uh oh. I thought 60 was generous. I need some other work done as well like new doors and flooring in other rooms.
Inflation messed me up!!

Amarante

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 1:31 pm
Sixty thousand isn’t entirely unrealistic but you would need to really figure out exactly how you wanted to spend the money and what was important. In general certain items are worth spending as much as possible because they are difficult to change like cabinets. You can upgrade a backsplash or even a counter. You can even get higher end appliances down the road.

I know you said my advice was overwhelming but unless you attempt to take initiative and learn the fundamentals you won’t get the best result and are even in a position where you can be exploited because you don’t know how to evaluate. You don’t need to be able to design a kitchen or build one but the best result and most bang for your buck will be if you put in the effort to research and think about how you want your kitchen to function and look.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:05 pm
So I guess I’m doomed.

I do have a pretty good idea of the layout and things I want / don’t want.

Researching everything just seems overwhelming. What are resources I could use?

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I guess I’m doomed.

I do have a pretty good idea of the layout and things I want / don’t want.

Researching everything just seems overwhelming. What are resources I could use?

It’s not so crazy. I saved some kitchen ideas in Instagram. Met with a the kitchen designer from the store and then she sent me some renderings by email and we went back and forth until I was happy with it. If you’re not doing a super custom kitchen then it’s not such a big deal. You already know what works or doesn’t in your current kitchen. Just send them that list and adapt it as needed during the process.

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:10 pm
I am in the process of a kitchen remodel and we’re spending about 45k. Using mid grade materials, nothing so fancy but not the cheapest. We are in a different state, though.

heidi

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:11 pm
I'm in the middle. Hired a designer who spent time with us really evaluating our needs. She recommended and is contact with the carpenter and contractor ( we got a few estimates and decided together who to use). I'm in Israel but my kitchen is costing a lot more than it would have before corona. We're coming in at around $80,000.
Planned to spend $50,000
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries