Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Please recommend Holocaust books - 1st person accounts only
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

ImaLAEma

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 7:55 pm
Not a book, but you can find some of the videos of survivors' testimonies from Spielberg's The Shoah Foundation on Youtube.

solo

Post Wed, Feb 08 2023, 8:56 pm
Not a book but there was a first person account in last weeks family first.
https://mishpacha.com/remember.....able/

tzippy123

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 11:57 am
HI I WRITE IN BOLD AND CAPS FOR A SEVERE SCREEN INDUCED COMPRESSION OF MY EYES THAT IS DANGEROUS, I APOLOGIZE. I JUST JOINED THIS WONDERFUL FORUM AND I AM INTERESTED IN THE HOLOCAUST AND SO I SAW THIS, I DONT KNOW IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET AN AUDIENCE FOR ALL RECENT SURVIVOR AUTHORED BOOKS IN LAST COUPLE YEARS BECAUSE IT IS SUCH AN EFFORT AND TRAUMA TO WRITE THEM, BUT OF COURSE THEY ARE NOT ALL BY FRUM SURVIVORS. A BOOK BY A HEILEGE FFB CHILD SURVIVOR FROM MICHALOVCE IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA JUST GOT SELF PUBLISHED ON CHANUKAH, ITS VERY HARD TO FIND SUCH BOOKS AS NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT THEM, BUT ITS A WORK OF HAKARAS HATOV, KIBUD AV VAIM, ZIKARON, WHAT IT MEANS TO HAVE GRATITUDE, WHAT DOES IT OBLIGATE YOU TO, HOW TO FRAME WORDS IN PUBLIC FORUM TO MAKE KIDDUSH HASHEM AND MOST OF ALL IT IS A TESTAMENT TO THE AMAZINGNESS OF EASTERN EUROPEAN JEWRY THAT A LITTLE GIRL UNDER BAS MITZVAH COULD KASHER A CHICKEN IN THE MIDDLE OF A HOLOCAUST COMPLETELY ON HER OWN AND STILL REMEMBER HOW AND HER HANDS DO IT TODAY, BECAUSE THAT IS REALLY WHAT ITS LIKE TO LIVE BY THE TORAH IN DAILY LIFE, HALACHA LMAASEH. I KNOW SO BECAUSE I CONDUCTED THE INTERVIEWS AND SOME OF THE MASSIVE HISTORY RESEARCH AND HELPED FIND THE DOCUMENTATION TO SUPPLEMENT THIS SURVIVORS EXCEPTIONAL DETAILED MEMORY FOR WHAT HAPPENED BUT SHE WANTED IT TO ALSO CONTAIN WHAT WAS HAPPENING AWAY FROM HER DALED AMOS. THIS BOOK IS ALSO EXPLAINED AND YIDDISH AND HEBREW WORDS ARE TRANSLATED SO THAT IT CAN MAYBE HELP IMPROVE TOLERANCE BY ALL AND BE AGAINST HOLOCAUST DENIAL. THIS MIGHT BE THE BOOK YOU WANT, IT IS PRINT DISABILITY COMPATIBLE SO MANY ELDERS AND SURVIVORS COULD READ IT WITH THEIR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN AND GRATGRANDCHILDREN AND IT WILL NOT LEAVE YOU IN TEARS, IT WILL INSPIRE YOU. I SOUND LIKE A SALES PERSON AND THE SURVIVOR INSISTED I BE LISTED AS A COAUTHOR BECAUSE OF THE TECHNICAL CONTRIBUTION AND MY FORWARD, BUT IT IS HER AIDUS AND SHE IS MY INSPIRATION FOR MIDDOS AND HOW TO CONDUCT ONES LIFE. IT IS BOTH A HISTORY WORK AND A MEMOIR, MOSTLY A MEMOIR BUT IS THE SIZE OF A VOLUME OF GMARA ALMOST, ITS AN INVSTIMENT AND IT IS AN EXPENSE, SO IT SHOULD ONLY BE IF YOU CAN EASILY AFFORD, MOST PEOPLE DONT KNOW THAT MOST OF THE CHARGE GOES TO THE DISTRIBUTOR AND ALSO FOR THE SPECIAL FORMATTING TO MAKE IT EVEN LOW GLARE AND REDUCE VERTIGO WHICH I NORMALLY GET FROM LAREGE PRINT BOOKS WITH ALMOST NO MARGINS, BUT IMO AS A PERSON LISTED BUT AS A FRUM PERSON WHO SPEAKS EMES, IT IS REALLY AMAZING AND LIFE ALTERING AND HAS KEDUSHA AND A SPECIAL AND CORRECT HASHKAFA FROM A FRUM HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR. AND IT MAKES THIS SURVIVOR HAPPY TO KNOW SHE IS GETTING THE TRUTH AND THE MESSAGE OUT SO YOU WILL ALSO HAVE HER BROCHO. I CANNOT TELL YOU I STILL GET CHILLS FROM THIS BOOK THAT WE GOT PUBLISHED WITH DAVENING AT KEVER ROCHEL, AS THE AUTHOR IS ROCHEL, AND THE KOTEL AND FROM RABBONIM AND IT TOOK SIX YEARS OF EXPENSE AND TRAUMA, THE AUTHOR ENVISIONS THIS BOOK TO BE IN EVERY YIDISH HOME BUT FEW KNOW OF IT. SO AGAIN IF YOU CAN AFFORD THE EXPENSE EASILY, AND YOU WANT THE BROCHA AND YOU GET THIS BOOK, I HOPE YOU WILL COME BACK TO THIS POST AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU FELT ABOUT IT, WHETHER YOU AGREED WITH WHAT I SAID. RABBONIM HAVE READ IT, HOLOCAUST SCHOLARS AND HISTORIANS HAVE READ IT, NOT AFFILIATED JEWS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO RESPECT FRUMKEIT BECAUSE OF IT, SATMAR JEWS HAVE READ IT, OTHER CHASSIDIC JEWS HAVE READ IT AND OF COURSE AGUDAH WHICH BOTH OF US ARE FROM HAVE READ IT. AND THE AUTHOR IS EVEN A DESCENDANT OF THE MAHARAL OF PRAGUE! AND THREE PAGES OF HOW TO KOSHER A CHICKEN AT AGE 11 IN NAZI HOLOCAUST ARE INCLUDED. ITS HARD FOR ME TO CONTAIN MY ENTHUSIAM AND WE RECEIVE THANKS FROM SOME WE KNOW WHO HAVE READ IT FOR MAKING SURE ITS NOT FORGOTTEN. IT IS IN YADVASHEN AND USHMM. BUT THE AUTHOR FEELS IT IS A FAMILY BOOK, THE BEGINNING CAN BE READ TO A 5 YEAR OLD, THERE ARE MANY AUTHENTIC PHOTOS, TIMELINES, IT CAN BE READ BY ALL IN VARIOUS PARTS. FOR THE SPECIAL FORMATTING THE ONLY PLACE THAT COULD DO IT WAS AMAZON, SO THAT IS WHERE THIS HOLY BOOK IS LOCATED, AND THEY DONT EVEN REALIZE HOW HOLY THIS BOOK IS! IT MAKES ME LAUGH BECAUSE ITS NOT A BASTION OF YIDDISHKEIT YET IT HAS THE ZCHUS OF PRITING AND DISTRIBUTING THIS BOOK, AND BECAUSE OF THE FORMAT CONTTRACT IT IS ONLY PERMITTED TO BE DONE BY THEM, IF YOU DONT USE THE INTERNET I THINK THERE ARE COMPANIES THAT MAKE SUCH TRANSACTIONS. THE NAME OF THIS AMAZING AIDUS IS MY NAME IS ALICE BY ALICE MULLER, AND AGAIN I AM LISTED AS COAUTHOR ON BOTTOM CUZ THE SURVIVOR INSISTED BUT IT IS HER WORK, FIRST PERSON AND COMPLETE EMES WHICH IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. I HOPE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BENEFIT FROM IT AND I HOPE THE WORD SPREADS BECAUSE IT TRULY IS A DESERVING WORK AND I THINK WHEN SURVIVORS AT THIS AGE ARE WRITING DURING THIS MATZAV AT SUCH EXPENSE AND EMOTIONAL COST BECAUSE THEY FEEL AN URGENCY TO THE TRUTH NOT BEING LOST, TO GIVE US A MESSAGE, THESE BOOKS SHOULD BE AT LEAST KNOWN ABOUT, AND HOPEFULLY READ, ALSO TO SHOW IN THIS POST COVID WORLD THAT SURVIVORS STILL MATTER. AND THEY DO TO ME. THIS IS HER 453 PAGE ALMOST 3 POUND BABY! THANKS AND HAVE A GREAT SHABBOS, TZIPPORAH

amother
Cadetblue

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 12:09 pm
Sunnydays wrote:
The Holocaust Diaries
- Dare to Survive by Chaim Shlomo Friedman
-Songs of Hope by David Werdyger
-They Called Me Frau Anna by Chana Banet
-Sisters in the Storm by Anna Eilenberg
-Itzik Be Strong by Yitzchak Pomerantz
-Counterfeit Lives by Avraham Krakowski
-Shattered Crystal's by Mia Kanner
Someday We Will Be Free
Child of War
The Unfinished Diary by Chaim Yitzchak Wolgerlernter hy"d
Behind the walls by Miriam Cohen
The Scent of the Snowflowers by R.L. Klein

I second sisters in the storm

InnerPrincess

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 12:55 pm
tzippy123 wrote:
HI I WRITE IN BOLD AND CAPS FOR A SEVERE SCREEN INDUCED COMPRESSION OF MY EYES THAT IS DANGEROUS, I APOLOGIZE. I JUST JOINED THIS WONDERFUL FORUM AND I AM INTERESTED IN THE HOLOCAUST AND SO I SAW THIS, I DONT KNOW IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET AN AUDIENCE FOR ALL RECENT SURVIVOR AUTHORED BOOKS IN LAST COUPLE YEARS BECAUSE IT IS SUCH AN EFFORT AND TRAUMA TO WRITE THEM, BUT OF COURSE THEY ARE NOT ALL BY FRUM SURVIVORS. A BOOK BY A HEILEGE FFB CHILD SURVIVOR FROM MICHALOVCE IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA JUST GOT SELF PUBLISHED ON CHANUKAH, ITS VERY HARD TO FIND SUCH BOOKS AS NO ONE KNOWS ABOUT THEM, BUT ITS A WORK OF HAKARAS HATOV, KIBUD AV VAIM, ZIKARON, WHAT IT MEANS TO HAVE GRATITUDE, WHAT DOES IT OBLIGATE YOU TO, HOW TO FRAME WORDS IN PUBLIC FORUM TO MAKE KIDDUSH HASHEM AND MOST OF ALL IT IS A TESTAMENT TO THE AMAZINGNESS OF EASTERN EUROPEAN JEWRY THAT A LITTLE GIRL UNDER BAS MITZVAH COULD KASHER A CHICKEN IN THE MIDDLE OF A HOLOCAUST COMPLETELY ON HER OWN AND STILL REMEMBER HOW AND HER HANDS DO IT TODAY, BECAUSE THAT IS REALLY WHAT ITS LIKE TO LIVE BY THE TORAH IN DAILY LIFE, HALACHA LMAASEH. I KNOW SO BECAUSE I CONDUCTED THE INTERVIEWS AND SOME OF THE MASSIVE HISTORY RESEARCH AND HELPED FIND THE DOCUMENTATION TO SUPPLEMENT THIS SURVIVORS EXCEPTIONAL DETAILED MEMORY FOR WHAT HAPPENED BUT SHE WANTED IT TO ALSO CONTAIN WHAT WAS HAPPENING AWAY FROM HER DALED AMOS. THIS BOOK IS ALSO EXPLAINED AND YIDDISH AND HEBREW WORDS ARE TRANSLATED SO THAT IT CAN MAYBE HELP IMPROVE TOLERANCE BY ALL AND BE AGAINST HOLOCAUST DENIAL. THIS MIGHT BE THE BOOK YOU WANT, IT IS PRINT DISABILITY COMPATIBLE SO MANY ELDERS AND SURVIVORS COULD READ IT WITH THEIR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN AND GRATGRANDCHILDREN AND IT WILL NOT LEAVE YOU IN TEARS, IT WILL INSPIRE YOU. I SOUND LIKE A SALES PERSON AND THE SURVIVOR INSISTED I BE LISTED AS A COAUTHOR BECAUSE OF THE TECHNICAL CONTRIBUTION AND MY FORWARD, BUT IT IS HER AIDUS AND SHE IS MY INSPIRATION FOR MIDDOS AND HOW TO CONDUCT ONES LIFE. IT IS BOTH A HISTORY WORK AND A MEMOIR, MOSTLY A MEMOIR BUT IS THE SIZE OF A VOLUME OF GMARA ALMOST, ITS AN INVSTIMENT AND IT IS AN EXPENSE, SO IT SHOULD ONLY BE IF YOU CAN EASILY AFFORD, MOST PEOPLE DONT KNOW THAT MOST OF THE CHARGE GOES TO THE DISTRIBUTOR AND ALSO FOR THE SPECIAL FORMATTING TO MAKE IT EVEN LOW GLARE AND REDUCE VERTIGO WHICH I NORMALLY GET FROM LAREGE PRINT BOOKS WITH ALMOST NO MARGINS, BUT IMO AS A PERSON LISTED BUT AS A FRUM PERSON WHO SPEAKS EMES, IT IS REALLY AMAZING AND LIFE ALTERING AND HAS KEDUSHA AND A SPECIAL AND CORRECT HASHKAFA FROM A FRUM HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR. AND IT MAKES THIS SURVIVOR HAPPY TO KNOW SHE IS GETTING THE TRUTH AND THE MESSAGE OUT SO YOU WILL ALSO HAVE HER BROCHO. I CANNOT TELL YOU I STILL GET CHILLS FROM THIS BOOK THAT WE GOT PUBLISHED WITH DAVENING AT KEVER ROCHEL, AS THE AUTHOR IS ROCHEL, AND THE KOTEL AND FROM RABBONIM AND IT TOOK SIX YEARS OF EXPENSE AND TRAUMA, THE AUTHOR ENVISIONS THIS BOOK TO BE IN EVERY YIDISH HOME BUT FEW KNOW OF IT. SO AGAIN IF YOU CAN AFFORD THE EXPENSE EASILY, AND YOU WANT THE BROCHA AND YOU GET THIS BOOK, I HOPE YOU WILL COME BACK TO THIS POST AND LET US KNOW HOW YOU FELT ABOUT IT, WHETHER YOU AGREED WITH WHAT I SAID. RABBONIM HAVE READ IT, HOLOCAUST SCHOLARS AND HISTORIANS HAVE READ IT, NOT AFFILIATED JEWS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO RESPECT FRUMKEIT BECAUSE OF IT, SATMAR JEWS HAVE READ IT, OTHER CHASSIDIC JEWS HAVE READ IT AND OF COURSE AGUDAH WHICH BOTH OF US ARE FROM HAVE READ IT. AND THE AUTHOR IS EVEN A DESCENDANT OF THE MAHARAL OF PRAGUE! AND THREE PAGES OF HOW TO KOSHER A CHICKEN AT AGE 11 IN NAZI HOLOCAUST ARE INCLUDED. ITS HARD FOR ME TO CONTAIN MY ENTHUSIAM AND WE RECEIVE THANKS FROM SOME WE KNOW WHO HAVE READ IT FOR MAKING SURE ITS NOT FORGOTTEN. IT IS IN YADVASHEN AND USHMM. BUT THE AUTHOR FEELS IT IS A FAMILY BOOK, THE BEGINNING CAN BE READ TO A 5 YEAR OLD, THERE ARE MANY AUTHENTIC PHOTOS, TIMELINES, IT CAN BE READ BY ALL IN VARIOUS PARTS. FOR THE SPECIAL FORMATTING THE ONLY PLACE THAT COULD DO IT WAS AMAZON, SO THAT IS WHERE THIS HOLY BOOK IS LOCATED, AND THEY DONT EVEN REALIZE HOW HOLY THIS BOOK IS! IT MAKES ME LAUGH BECAUSE ITS NOT A BASTION OF YIDDISHKEIT YET IT HAS THE ZCHUS OF PRITING AND DISTRIBUTING THIS BOOK, AND BECAUSE OF THE FORMAT CONTTRACT IT IS ONLY PERMITTED TO BE DONE BY THEM, IF YOU DONT USE THE INTERNET I THINK THERE ARE COMPANIES THAT MAKE SUCH TRANSACTIONS. THE NAME OF THIS AMAZING AIDUS IS MY NAME IS ALICE BY ALICE MULLER, AND AGAIN I AM LISTED AS COAUTHOR ON BOTTOM CUZ THE SURVIVOR INSISTED BUT IT IS HER WORK, FIRST PERSON AND COMPLETE EMES WHICH IS WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. I HOPE YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BENEFIT FROM IT AND I HOPE THE WORD SPREADS BECAUSE IT TRULY IS A DESERVING WORK AND I THINK WHEN SURVIVORS AT THIS AGE ARE WRITING DURING THIS MATZAV AT SUCH EXPENSE AND EMOTIONAL COST BECAUSE THEY FEEL AN URGENCY TO THE TRUTH NOT BEING LOST, TO GIVE US A MESSAGE, THESE BOOKS SHOULD BE AT LEAST KNOWN ABOUT, AND HOPEFULLY READ, ALSO TO SHOW IN THIS POST COVID WORLD THAT SURVIVORS STILL MATTER. AND THEY DO TO ME. THIS IS HER 453 PAGE ALMOST 3 POUND BABY! THANKS AND HAVE A GREAT SHABBOS, TZIPPORAH

Its a bit hard to read the above post, so I had AI switch it to sentence case. This way, more people can read it. Hope that's ok with you!

"
Hi, I write in bold and caps for a severe screen induced compression of my eyes that is dangerous, I apologize.
I just joined this wonderful forum and I am interested in the Holocaust and so I saw this, I dont know if you are still interested. I have been trying to get an audience for all recent survivor authored books in last couple years because it is such an effort and trauma to write them, but of course they are not all by frum survivors. A book by a heilege FFB child survivor from Michalovce in Czechoslovakia just got self published on Chanukah, its very hard to find such books as no one knows about them, but its a work of hakaras hatov, kibud av vaim, zikaron, what it means to have gratitude, what does it obligate you to, how to frame words in public forum to make kiddush hashem and most of all it is a testament to the amazingness of Eastern European Jewry that a little girl under bas mitzvah could kasher a chicken in the middle of a Holocaust completely on her own and still remember how and her hands do it today, because that is really what its like to live by the Torah in daily life, halacha lmaaseh. I know so because I conducted the interviews and some of the massive history research and helped find the documentation to supplement this survivors exceptional detailed memory for what happened but she wanted it to also contain what was happening away from her daled amos. This book is also explained and Yiddish and Hebrew words are translated so that it can maybe help improve tolerance by all and be against Holocaust denial. This might be the book you want, it is print disability compatible so many elders and survivors could read it with their children and grandchildren and gratgrandchildren and it will not leave you in tears, it will inspire you. I sound like a sales person and the survivor insisted I be listed as a coauthor because of the technical contribution and my forward, but it is her aidus and she is my inspiration for middos and how to conduct ones life. It is both a history work and a memoir, mostly a memoir but is the size of a volume of Gmara almost, its an invstiment and it is an expense, so it should only be if you can easily afford, most people dont know that most of the charge goes to the distributor and also for the special formatting to make it even low glare and reduce vertigo which I normally get from larege print books with almost no margins, but imo as a person listed but as a frum person who speaks emes, it is really amazing and life altering and has kedusha and a special and correct hashkafa from a frum Holocaust survivor. And it makes this survivor happy to know she is getting the truth and the message out so you will also have her brocho. I cannot tell you I still get chills from this book that we got published with davening at Kever Rochel, as the author is Rochel, and the Kotel and from Rabbonim and it took six years of expense and trauma, the author envisions this book to be in every Yidish home but few know of it. So again if you can afford the expense easily, and you want the brocha and you get this book, I hope you will come back to this post and let us know how you felt about it, whether you agreed with what I said. Rabbonim have read it, Holocaust scholars and historians have read it, not affiliated Jews have been moved to respect frumkeit because of it, Satmar Jews have read it, other Chassidic Jews have read it and of course Agudah which both of us are from have read it. And the author is even a descendant of the Maharal of Prague! And three pages of how to kosher a chicken at age 11 in Nazi Holocaust are included. Its hard for me to contain my enthusiam and we receive thanks from some we know who have read it for making sure its not forgotten. It is in Yad Vashem and USHMM. But the author feels it is a family book, the beginning can be read to a 5 year old, there are many authentic photos, timelines, it can be read by all in various parts. For the special formatting the only place that could do it was Amazon, so that is where this holy book is located, and they dont even realize how holy this book is! It makes me laugh because its not a bastion of Yiddishkeit yet it has the zchus of priting and distributing this book, and because of the format conttract it is only permitted to be done by them, if you dont use the internet I think there are companies that make such transactions.

The name of this amazing aidus is My Name Is Alice by Alice Muller, and again I am listed as coauthor on bottom cuz the survivor insisted but it is her work, first person and complete emes which is what it sounds like you are looking for. I hope you will be able to benefit from it and I hope the word spreads because it truly is a deserving work and I think when survivors at this age are writing during this matzav at such expense and emotional cost because they feel an urgency to the truth not being lost, to give us a message, these books should be at least known about, and hopefully read, also to show in this post COVID world that survivors still matter. And they do to me. This is her 453 page almost 3 pound baby!
Thanks and have a great Shabbos, Tzipporah.
"

lmeisels

Post Fri, Mar 08 2024, 1:35 pm
'My Name is Alice by Alice Muller', available on Amazon. A fascinating memoir by a frum holocaust survivor. 453 pages, large print, good for teens and up.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sat, Mar 09 2024, 9:28 pm
Tatteh Said Run.

also available in yiddish and hebrew.
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room