Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Can we talk about schlissel challa ?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 7:33 pm
I make it every year but I’m so emotionally tired from this year's challenging Pesach. Can I do it on a half recipe or do I have to make five pounds and take challa?

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 7:37 pm
Since it's a minhag with very tenuous backing, you can do whatever you want.

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 7:40 pm
I'm not even sure there's a real basis to the Minhag. I once heard a Rav say that we are now taking our Mitzva back as the men are the ones who bake matza (and take Challa) for Pesach. I found that meaningful.

tweety1

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 7:40 pm
Maybe you can reach out to a family member whos baking and ask them if they can let you do one challah? Before I started baking challah I did that every year. Most people won't mind one challah.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 10:16 pm
You don’t have to do it. Zero halachik source.

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 10:22 pm
You don't have to do it. Don't drive yourself crazy.

amother
Black

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 10:27 pm
May I suggest you insert a foil covered shlisel into a bakery bought challah just for the minhag...
There’s no mitzva to overdo it if you feel you can’t.

iammom

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 10:43 pm
Many bakeries sell challahs with keys in them.
Or skip it entirely.

Absolutely no need to overwork yourself.

tweety1

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:13 pm
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
You don’t have to do it. Zero halachik source.

It's a minhag. There's even a thing to say as you stick the key in. It's a segulah for Parnasah. You absolutely don't have to drive yourself crazy but for some people it's a big deal and something nice to do.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:18 pm
It's a big mitzva to bake Challos for shabbos.
Nothing to do with any keys.
This mitzva is found in the shulchan aruch.

If you are too overwhelmed to make Challos, fine.
But please let's not make a cholent out of this. The mitzva is to make challa. If you want to put in a key- go ahead. But don't make the ikar tafel and the tafel ikar.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I make it every year but I’m so emotionally tired from this year's challenging Pesach. Can I do it on a half recipe or do I have to make five pounds and take challa?

For the record, it's problematic to make a small batch of challa. It's best to avoid making it on a batch that is less than the shiur needed to take challa.
And the whole point of making challa is to do Hafrashas challa. Otherwise, you may as well buy challa.

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:23 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
May I suggest you insert a foil covered shlisel into a bakery bought challah just for the minhag...
There’s no mitzva to overdo it if you feel you can’t.

This
I asked the bakery for Raw challahs already shaped. I’m inserting the key and baking

amother
Geranium

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:36 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
For the record, it's problematic to make a small batch of challa. It's best to avoid making it on a batch that is less than the shiur needed to take challa.
And the whole point of making challa is to do Hafrashas challa. Otherwise, you may as well buy challa.

We don’t hold this way at all. Not everyone has big families or big freezers to accommodate that much challah every week.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:52 pm
amother [ Geranium ] wrote:
We don’t hold this way at all. Not everyone has big families or big freezers to accommodate that much challah every week.

To clarify.
The problem is in making challa with a certain shiur where it's not certain if it requires hafrasha. A safek bracha is lekula which means that if you aren't sure if it needs a bracha it's better not to make one.
So you can take challa without making the bracha. Or you can make even less challa that certainly doesn't require hafrasha.

But the idea is that the main reason why women are enjoined to make challa is in order to fulfill the mitzva of harfashas challa (and not merely because her family likes homemade challa). So if she were to make so little that she isn't even fulfilling the mitzva, it kind of misses the point. It's probably better to make a regular batch every other week, take challa with a bracha, and freeze what you don't need.

Feel free to ask your lor, but I belive this is not about how people hold. This is normative halacha.

happytobemom

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:54 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
I once heard a Rav say that we are now taking our Mitzva back as the men are the ones who bake matza (and take Challa) for Pesach. I found that meaningful.

I Love this! Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 12:27 am
Thanks for all the replies.Your supportive posts at this tender time was much appreciated.
Except for the one invalidating the fact that my children in my very small family have memories of their Mother making challa often, even though she worked and her parents lived with us. That wasn’t so nice of you.
A half recipe does not require a bracha for haphrasha and it’s really not nice that you said I should’ve just bought challa.

amother
Daffodil

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 2:20 am
tweety1 wrote:
It's a minhag. There's even a thing to say as you stick the key in. It's a segulah for Parnasah. You absolutely don't have to drive yourself crazy but for some people it's a big deal and something nice to do.

Um, many many hold it is a Christian tradition that some Jews adopted from them. It goes all the way back to the Pagans actually...
So we specifically do NOT put a key in, shape the challah like a key etc.

amother
Candycane

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 2:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.Your supportive posts at this tender time was much appreciated.
Except for the one invalidating the fact that my children in my very small family have memories of their Mother making challa often, even though she worked and her parents lived with us. That wasn’t so nice of you.
A half recipe does not require a bracha for haphrasha and it’s really not nice that you said I should’ve just bought challa.

You're correct. Every knowledgeable Rav should be able to tell you when to take Challah with and without a Brocha. Our Rav said to take from 8 cups without a Brocha 2.25kg with a Brocha. Chabad differs You need to be careful not to make a Brocha if you didn't use that amount. When in doubt leave out! Also if you are splitting your dough I.e. making babka with some of it, you don't make a Brocha. Rather leave out a Brocha then make a Brocha levatala.
I've heard from a very reliable source that some Rabbonim say its even better to bake every week without a Brocha then every second week with a Brocha.

Iymnok

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 2:40 am
You need lechem mishna for the Shabbos seudos. Anyone can make it and you could buy it. You can make a half recipe that does not require you to take challah.
The key is a munhag with questionable origins. It may not even apply this year.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 6:01 am
Iymnok wrote:
You need lechem mishna for the Shabbos seudos. Anyone can make it and you could buy it. You can make a half recipe that does not require you to take challah.
The key is a munhag with questionable origins. It may not even apply this year.

Why would it not apply this year?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen