Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
High school girls
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 4:41 am
GLUE wrote:
Fixing bikes, do you know how much $$ that would save a family if the mother knows how to build and fix a bicycle.

I think we should also teach time management and how to be organized

Yeah!!!

However, I'm Dutch and I know how to deal with a flat tire. I'm taking the bike literally everywhere but it would spare costs on how to deal with other things. But yeah, learning how to learn is something I totally missed as time management and organizing your homework.
And sewing and fixing bikes need to be for girls and boys, like a yeshiva bocher with a loose button should be able to sew that and a SAHM mom should fix her children's bike.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 4:44 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Not everyone is taught this. Home ec can be incredibly helpful for girls from dysfunctional homes....
Of course, but thats not going to be all homes, at least we can hope.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 6:48 am
All I can say is that after sitting through HS over 30 years ago, I walked out of there jumping for joy, and remembered nothing. Klei yakar, malbim,Rambam, memorizing random pesukim of mishlei or whatever, have had ZERO impact on my life, whatsoever. Ever. I hated it, resented it, and couldn't care less about any of that stuff. It was so not relatable to me. Then, now, or ever. Why oh why do we make our girls learn all this stuff? Makes zero sense to me.

Chickensoupprof

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 7:33 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
All I can say is that after sitting through HS over 30 years ago, I walked out of there jumping for joy, and remembered nothing. Klei yakar, malbim,Rambam, memorizing random pesukim of mishlei or whatever, have had ZERO impact on my life, whatsoever. Ever. I hated it, resented it, and couldn't care less about any of that stuff. It was so not relatable to me. Then, now, or ever. Why oh why do we make our girls learn all this stuff? Makes zero sense to me.

Well, I had to learn Der Dativ in German class. Aus, bei, mit, nach, von, zu, seit, gegenüber, außer. Das buch liegt auf DEM Tisch.
I had to learn stuff about the Dutch Republic, Vietnam War, and omg... I had geography and I liked the part about culture, landscapes, and infrastructure but I hated meteorology and I still have nightmares about Buys Ballot's law. Most things I remember of my high school is general knowledge and it is useful in a way, you have a good general knowledge of lots of things, and it makes one curious, or at least me. I'm really interested in topics and still read a lot and listen to podcasts and everything to have general knowledge. I'm really thankful for that especially when I talk with people who only had Kodesh and poor secular studies. My husband had poor secular studies and he suffers from it, basic biology wasn't taught he did lots of study himself, read books about certain things and I only can encourage that. I'm really shocked that some people never heard of like The Netherlands as a country or don't know if it is in Europe or in the US really, I'm shocked, I'm also shocked how narrow-minded people can be due to lack of education. I did in COVID Maayanot online and I was shocked how History got brought by a rabbi and how he generalized things, totally not scientific and I complain about it because he literally said 'Well in the Arab countries at this time the people were still wearing animal clothing while in Europe...' Which is totally not true and he muted me and ignored me... So all the tzaddikim and chahamim who were able to study at the universities in the Arab world and wrote influential seforim are nothing? Jews in Europe weren't allowed in univeristies because most universities were Xtian and the lignua franca was Latin and Jews weren't well versed in Latin and they couldn't work in a guild. Not saying the Arab world in like the 1500th was a Jewish heaven but they weren't living as cavemen either...

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 7:36 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Of course, but thats not going to be all homes, at least we can hope.

You don't need to have home ec a ton. But some basics.

Have it once a week for a year.

TWeiss

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 7:47 am
I think Emuna is huge! How to be flexible and resilient, I know this should be taught by parents but too many parents rely on the school and teachers for preparing their children for life.

I also think explaining with real life examples how what their learning is helpful and practical even when it doesn’t seem so.

Examples if your child is sick and you take them to the Dr the Dr might use these terms xyz..

I literally had a mosquito guy tell me “blood of the tree”!, I was thankful for 6th grade science class where I learnt all about sap.

amother
Milk

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:20 am
I think all the subjects taught in high schools already are really important. Sometimes they are not taught in a way that reaches the girls and that’s a shame.
Chumash can be challenging and thought provoking and intellectually stimulating, while also being taught in a way that is applicable to the girls and their lives. That’s what torah is. It’s not hard to bring out the lessons they need. It’s all there.
If you got nothing from your Chumash class, it either wasn’t being taught with the right approach or maybe it was taught in a way that wasn’t academically appropriate for you.
Having a nice balance of hashkafa classes is important.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:27 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
You are so so off. I’m really shocked at your extreme narrow mindedness.
All our students do is critical thinking and questioning.
I’m sorry that you had such a poor education, and raised your daughters the same,but don’t say blatant ridiculous lies.
Speak for your self. My students and daughters constantly question, ask and challenge.
As mentioned before, in their hashkafa classes they have full periods of questions and answer.
I taught in public school as well as frum schools.
My ps students didn’t have nearly as many opportunities for critical thinking as my by students. Most classes were straightvspir back.
You are describing a different religion then the one I’m raising my children in. Then the one I see every day in the schools I teach in.

As I mentioned upthread, I think that high schools should put more emphasis on middos tovos. Your posts are a perfect example of one lacking middos but being in to high academics. Middos tovos matter more than academics. Being nice to others is more important than a high education. Middos tovos come before everything.
Maybe start teaching yourself, your daughters, and students how to make their points and state their opinion without being rude to others.

Beingreal

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:35 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Unpopular opinion: none of that should be taught. They should learn skills for actually running a home and having a career and healthy relationships.

I agree!!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:36 am
Tanya

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:47 am
amother [ Aconite ] wrote:
As I mentioned upthread, I think that high schools should put more emphasis on middos tovos. Your posts are a perfect example of one lacking middos but being in to high academics. Middos tovos matter more than academics. Being nice to others is more important than a high education. Middos tovos come before everything.

We learn good minds from role models, from parents, from gedolim, it wouldn't change the curriculum a good teacher should know how to emphasize this through her lessons

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:49 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
We learn good minds from role models, from parents, from gedolim, it wouldn't change the curriculum a good teacher should know how to emphasize this through her lessons

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:52 am
[quote="amother [ Aconite ]".[/quote]

Just fyi this post is not great middos either. Her being wrong doesn’t give you the right to do it too.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:58 am
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
Just fyi this post is not great middos either. Her being wrong doesn’t give you the right to do it too.

You're right, I'm sorry.
I deleted it, please delete the quoted, thanx

funmamma

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:04 am
Relationships! Between mother and child, husband and wife, you and hashem.. kallah classes isn’t enough to learn the whole idea of marriage. .

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:46 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Not everyone is taught this. Home ec can be incredibly helpful for girls from dysfunctional homes....

We can't be designing our systems around dysfunction. We need to set it up per normal and standard expectations, and accommodations for dysfunction should be an ad hoc approach.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:50 am
Beingreal wrote:
I agree!!

Are we completely eliminating parents from the equation? It is the parents' responsibility to teach kids how to run home, be mentschen and be emotionally healthy. The school's responsibility is to provide an academic (and religious) education. As the years go by, it seems like the parents only want to retain the responsibility for the physical needs of their children and want to abdicate all their other responsibilities to the school.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:53 am
I would love if we can introduce academic tracks in our high schools. Our kids are all different, and have different future plans, and not all benefit from intense or advanced classes. Wouldn't it be great if we can define core classes that all kids must take, and allow them to choose their other classes?

Zehava

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you think should be taught to bais yaakov girls besides for chumash, Navi, yahadus, ivris, and all their other classes? What do you feel like girls these days are missing the most and would benefit from learning?

Personal safety
Emotional awareness
Awareness of others
Financial responsibility
Healthy communication
Then again, seeing as so many teachers and principals lack these skills I wonder how that would work.

amother
Aconite

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:59 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Are we completely eliminating parents from the equation? It is the parents' responsibility to teach kids how to run home, be mentschen and be emotionally healthy. The school's responsibility is to provide an academic (and religious) education. As the years go by, it seems like the parents only want to retain the responsibility for the physical needs of their children and want to abdicate all their other responsibilities to the school.

Because kids spend most of their waking hours at school, it's important for school to be a place that instills and emphasizes good middos and mentchlichkeit. The seviva a person spends most time in, will leave the most impact on them. So it's equally important for the home and the school to emphasize on middos and mentchlichkeit.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics