Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
If you just eat normal...?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 12:23 pm
I have a very slow metabolism and I gain weight from eating normally.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 12:30 pm
Happy to answer. I am a healthy weight. Never dieted or had unhealthy eating habits.
Breakfast is cold cereal and milk.
Lunxh examples: roll and boiled egg, toast with avocado, 1 or two slice pizza, bagel with tuna.
Dinner: chicken, rice, vegi
Meat, kugel, and salad.
Pasta with cheese
Chicken soup full of chicken, vegies, rice

Genius

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 1:01 pm
A good plan doesn’t have to be a diet. It’s a good idea to plan in advance so that you don’t eat the easiest junkiest food item because you are too hungry to think of a decent meal to prepare for yourself. I have more experience with the latter 😉
If you’re not limiting a food group, are eating enough so that you don’t stay hungry, and you don’t call a treat a “cheat” than you’re eating normally.
Also remember to drink enough and move every once in a while. Otherwise your body will hold onto every last calorie you ingest.

amother
Blue

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 1:10 pm
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
I don’t worry about dieting or my weight at all
Im not into food, I’ve been eating the same foods for the past 10 years, for the sole purpose of not being hungry and to keep my brain working.

In the morning a have a cup of water and freshly squeezed lemon. Gives me energy.

Then I eat lots of lettuce with a bit olive oil and salt and 2 organic hard boiled eggs. So good Smile
And a bowl of cereal

For lunch I eat salmon or tuna olives and rice cake.

That’s pretty much it.

I don’t eat dinner although I do munch on bits and pieces of my kids’ dinner.

I try to drink throughout the day, I can munch on some chips (like a quarter cup a day or less) or mint chocolate covered rice cakes.

People say I’m thin although I don’t necessarily consider myself to be.
Honestly I don’t care Smile

Umm I would be starving if I ate what you eat

hellokitty

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 1:11 pm
Genius, if there were a "love" button that's what I'd have chosen. So well put!

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 1:54 pm
I would hate for my answer or anybody else's answer to be the next 'diet' for somebody else. Sometimes the 'what do I eat in a week' kind of posts can be very harmful and triggering.
In general I try to keep my finger on the pulse and eat in a way that is joyful, energizing and fits with whatever my life is at the moment.
It took me close to two years on IE to learn how to be peaceful around food.
My hobbies are very physical so my eating must support that but we each have different needs so a 'normal' day of food for me would look different than somebody else's.
I am also learning that I need to adjust my definition of thinness. I am learning that I had a very close minded expectation from my body. I wanted it to look a certain way and be a certain size but that I am beautiful even when I expand that expectation to accommodate my own genetics.

Tachlis,
Breakfast - Usually fruit and coffee. On shabbos a piece of cake and coffee. Sometimes I make myself a fruit shake.
Lunch- Large salad with lots of fat and protein (avocado and eggs, chickpeas and techina, cheese and eggs) I go with my cravings. If I am really hungry I add a carb (rice cakes, corn, sweet potatoes), but I don't like having carbs for lunch because I end up feeling tired and heavy.
Snack - yogurt with nuts or Dates and nuts
Supper- Full meal of carbs, fats, proteins and veggies- I go with my cravings here again although I don't really eat meat or chicken during the week.
It could be rice veggies and peas, A protein pasta with melted cheese and broccoli, Tofu corn and stir fry etc..
I don't usually snack in the evenings but I will open a bag of chips Thursday night after cooking or have pizza for Melave Malka.

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 2:06 pm
I think portion control is key. Normal would be 1-2 slices pizza not 4-5 slices. So when someone writes she has chicken and pasta for supper or snacks on some chips it's important to know how much pasta/chips she means.

SuperWify

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 2:20 pm
amother [ Peony ] wrote:
OP, check out Intuitive Eating. They encourage you to tune into your hunger cues, not someone else's idea of when you should be hungry.

This. I go to a health coach for mindful eating. I learned how to eat balanced meals (protein veggies and some carbs) and still have some treats. I don’t punish myself and withhold treats but I eat healthy so that I can feel good. I exercise for health purposes too.

Breakfast is like a few cookies and coffee or cereal.
Lunch salmon and salad
I’ll have a cheese wrap later on
Dinner whatever we have
Snack

Snacks: olives cheese crackers cherry tomatoes
Piece of cake
Fresh fruit

I drink lots of water

evi

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 4:21 pm
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
Happy to answer. I am a healthy weight. Never dieted or had unhealthy eating habits.
Breakfast is cold cereal and milk.
Lunxh examples: roll and boiled egg, toast with avocado, 1 or two slice pizza, bagel with tuna.
Dinner: chicken, rice, vegi
Meat, kugel, and salad.
Pasta with cheese
Chicken soup full of chicken, vegies, rice

Something like this except maybe slightly more protein on the lunch sometimes, and if I'm truly not hungry, will just have coffee for breakfast.

Make sure you have your protein (which usually comes with fat) first otherwise you'll be protein hungry and not realize it and just eat and eat carbs and not realize you need the protein/fat.

Avoid soda, both diet and regular. Try tea and coffee, unflavored and unsweetened is probably slightly better than flavored, but even flavored and sweetened are better than soda.

Hot foods are more filling than cold. Potatoes when baked, boiled, or microwaved, then with a little olive oil, are a healthy food. (Fries on the other hand... Nope.)

I used to eat lots of fruit, can't as much anymore.

I have never been overweight as defined by BMI. Usually either skinny or maybe 5-10 lbs more than I'd have liked, which would be a BMI of 20- 21 instead of 19.

Last edited by evi on Sun, May 01 2022, 6:21 pm; edited 3 times in total

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 5:36 pm
Is really personal, if I ate too many carbs I will gain a lot very quickly.

I eat: oats with milk and fruit and coffee in the morning, salads or omelets or few crackers with hummus in the afternoon with some raw veggies, at least 200-gram veggies, some form of protein and a bit of carb or otherwise courgette spaghetti, broccoli/cauliflower rice. I lost in the last year almost 20 pounds but I gained 3 pounds during the chag and when my husband had to sit shiva (really people WHY always lasagna? Please... Do something else)

amother
Maize

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 6:13 pm
Disclaimer, I am over my normal weight, but I lostvsince I try to stop once I am full, and also to eat when I am hungry, basically to follow my body.

Start day with coffee and milk
Depending on the breakfast and time either cereal with joghurt, actually plain oatmeal with joghurt and honey or eggs with veggies and pita or kasha/pasta, some type of fruit with it

One glass of water after every asher yatzar, advice from wise friend

Then for lunch either eggs or fish or soup or bread or pasta with tea nd piece of fruit or 1 whole tomato

Inbetween fruits black black choco and any nuts

Evening starch with veggies and meat

When hungry evening snack or even bread, not recommended I know but love it;)

I actually realized that I love veggies and it does not need to be a salad, just wash up half a cucumber, a tomato, a carrot, take two hard boiled eggs, hummus and tuna et voilà Wink

We dont need a plan to eat tons of veggies;)

max

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 8:39 pm
Weight Watchers always helps me when I am mindful but additionally I purchased a book many years ago from Eichler’s I don’t know if it’s still in print How to succeed on any diet by Chava Goldman it was published in 2005 with specific help for the frum lifestyle there are great ideas in there that will help with any plan you decide to follow.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 9:14 pm
I went to a nutritionist for a year who taught how to lose by eating normally, and now the routine is very nature and ingrained.

Breakfast,
1 carb, 1 protein, 1 fruit (usually no room for fruit)
1 carb means two slices ww bread or 1.25 cups cereal, ideally fiberful, .5 cups raw oatmeal cooked
1 Protein=2 eggs, 2 Oz or slices/sticks cheese, 1 cup cottage cheese or plain yogurt, w/honey is fine.
For me this means a grilled cheese sandwich
during carpool. Very filling.

Lunch,
1 carb, 1 protein, vegetable
More protein ideas:
1 can Tuna, half an Avocado counts, 4 tbsp Chummus or cream cheese, 2 tbps nut butter, fish or meat the size of entire hand ✋, ie. 1 chicken breast, chicken leg and a thigh, red meat is smaller, size of card deck, 1 cup ground meat
Carb also, 1 potato, 1 cup mashed potato or sweet potato .75 cups grain.

Supper,
1 carb, 1 protein, vegetable

2-3 snacks dispersed. Ideally, you're eating every 2-3 hours.

Drink lots!

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 9:35 pm
I’ve a high metabolism. Breakfast usually 2 eggs with toast with cheese then a muffin with coffee no sweetener just milk. Snack wld be either a coconut milk fruit smoothie melba toast with tuna or if I’m not in a healthy mood that day- slice pizza or handful of cookies, granola bar. Lunch - hummus with crackers or cheese or greek yogurt with granola whatever I’m in mood of. Supper - bowl of veg soup or salad and usually 2-3 portions whatever supper is like 3 bowls of spaghetti meatballs since I’m still nursing so I’m starving by dinner time. Seltzer and water all day maybe occasional glass of wine. At night if have cravings I’ll have cup of tea with honey with a cookie or piece of cake. Or guilty pleasure heat up frozen French fries I’m underweight but working on gaining weight ive accepted not to let it stress me out no scale around here. It’s a mix of genetics and avoiding high sugar content, soda, sugary drinks and no sugar substitutes which gave me stomach pains as a kid.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 9:53 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I would hate for my answer or anybody else's answer to be the next 'diet' for somebody else. Sometimes the 'what do I eat in a week' kind of posts can be very harmful and triggering.
In general I try to keep my finger on the pulse and eat in a way that is joyful, energizing and fits with whatever my life is at the moment.
It took me close to two years on IE to learn how to be peaceful around food.
My hobbies are very physical so my eating must support that but we each have different needs so a 'normal' day of food for me would look different than somebody else's.
I am also learning that I need to adjust my definition of thinness. I am learning that I had a very close minded expectation from my body. I wanted it to look a certain way and be a certain size but that I am beautiful even when I expand that expectation to accommodate my own genetics.

Tachlis,
Breakfast - Usually fruit and coffee. On shabbos a piece of cake and coffee. Sometimes I make myself a fruit shake.
Lunch- Large salad with lots of fat and protein (avocado and eggs, chickpeas and techina, cheese and eggs) I go with my cravings. If I am really hungry I add a carb (rice cakes, corn, sweet potatoes), but I don't like having carbs for lunch because I end up feeling tired and heavy.
Snack - yogurt with nuts or Dates and nuts
Supper- Full meal of carbs, fats, proteins and veggies- I go with my cravings here again although I don't really eat meat or chicken during the week.
It could be rice veggies and peas, A protein pasta with melted cheese and broccoli, Tofu corn and stir fry etc..
I don't usually snack in the evenings but I will open a bag of chips Thursday night after cooking or have pizza for Melave Malka.

I eat like this too. I'm what people call "naturally thin" and they love to hate me.

Breakfast is coffee with homemade oatmeal cookie. About an hour later an apple and maybe some almonds
Lunch is a huge plate of vegetables with an egg or chummus or sardines. If I'm hungry I'll wash for one slice of sourdough bread. Sometimes I'll change it up and do a fruit smoothie with ground nuts and yogurt, or a plate of oatmeal with peanut butter and chia seeds. But those are very carby so I'll save them for a rosh chodesh treat or something like that.
Snack is a fruit, usually tangerine, in the summer could be a peach or slice of melon
Dinner is protein, carb, and veggies. I go large on the veggies, and less so on the other two.
I do often take a snack later once the kids are in bed. A bag of popcorn, mikva night might be chocolate, date with DH we'll buy some chips. Not every night though.

I drink a ton of water, 12-15 cups a day. My GP checks my sugar levels each time I mention that piece of info but BH it's always good. I rarely drink something other than water except some grape juice and seltzer on Shabbos.

devo1982

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 9:54 pm
I'm too heavy for my frame when not pregnant (145ish on 5'0), but I've never truly dieted, and I think the weight (now that I'm dealing with GD) was due to too much sugar and not understanding how to better eat the carbs I was eating (I was prediabetic) and a lack of movement than poor eating habits overall.

Here's what I do:

Eat when I'm hungry
Don't deny myself anything but also be aware for when I'm sliding into too many takeout meals/snacky/junky things in a week
Make a decent effort to incorporate veggies into my dishes (I'm not great at remembering to do side dishes and don't like salads, so it's mainly a question of planning out meals that incorporate the veggies into them)
Be mindful of sugar intake (this is probably the biggest lesson I will take with me from GD)

But if you've been in a long pattern of unhealthy eating habits (either too much or too little), it'll take time to reteach your body how to eat to nourish itself and respond to what it genuinely needs.

Rubies

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 10:07 pm
I'm surprised at how many seem to think a breakfast of cereal and milk or cookies and coffee is normal.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 10:16 pm
Rubies wrote:
I'm surprised at how many seem to think a breakfast of cereal and milk or cookies and coffee is normal.

It’s easy to prepare if ur starving and kids want ur attention if I do have it then it wld be just a snack for me before I have an official breakfast. Plus if kids r raised with cereal and milk they’ll think it’s normal as an adult too..

tichellady

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 10:23 pm
Rubies wrote:

What’s wrong with cereal and milk for breakfast?

tichellady

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 10:28 pm
I have cereal and milk for breakfast, Leftovers from previous nights dinner for lunch, dinner is usually soup and fish or chicken with veggies and carb or soup and salad and pizza, lasagna, quiche or a vegan dish that has protein and carbs ( tofu with rice etc). I snack on fruit, popsicles, yogurt, peanut butter and apple, cookies or muffins, hard boiled eggs and pickles, baby carrots etc. I eat when I’m hungry and usually have 1-2 sweet things a day. I drink water and milk and sometimes have grape juice when I’m nursing. I think I eat pretty intuitively
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise