Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Pre-teen dd (adhd) always wants exciting (unhealthy) foods
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 6:31 pm
It's part of the adhd package, I know. Everything needs to be super fun and exciting, activities, etc and that includes food.

So even though she likes normal healthy foods, she is usually "bored" of them and only wants exciting (read: very unhealthy) foods. While that's certainly fine for once in a while, it's not so fine for a regular basis. Food should be to fill you, not to provide entertainment. I am certainly not making this into an issue, cuz I know that's the last thing she needs, but has anyone found ways to combat this issue?

Some examples, she is constantly asking to go for pizza (which we do sometimes, but not once a week which she would like), for breakfast she only wants to have the sugary cereals which we have on shabbos, even though she likes regular cereal...

And she has very poor portion control when it's a food she likes.

It's clearly part of the adhd, as it's like that with other things also.
Has anyone else dealt with this??

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 6:36 pm
Pizza is not very unhealthy as a meal for growing kids and once a week is very normal.

Zehava

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 6:38 pm
What I learned is that they can ask and I can say no. It’s a lot of no’s but what can I do. They will always want to reach for the biggest and best of everything. It’ll take them far in life. But for now, now we can’t eat lunch at the restaurant every day, we can’t have fancy drinks and danishes for snack every day, we can’t always be baking and painting, and going to attractions. And that’s fine.

Simple1

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 6:46 pm
Healthy foods can be exciting. Especially if you’re ok with moderately decent foods and not extreme health foods. I would have her look thru a cook book with nice pictures and choose a recipe she likes. You can even let her cook if she’s old enough which will let out her ADD energy.

I personally consider pizza ok in moderation. You can choose a healthy crust and veggie toppings if she’s ok with that.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 6:54 pm
Sounds like food addiction, kids with adhd have issues with their dopamine/reward system which makes them prone to addiction/always seeking a certain dopamine fix. Processed foods give that fix.

naomi2

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 6:57 pm
Would it help to have a visual schedule of the month like a blank calendar on the fridge and together you can pencil in the treat meals for the whole month. So 2 days a month she can see when she will be having pizza and let's say 4 sugar cereals a month or maybe on shobbos morning etc. Maybe 2x a month you can write pastry/cookies and maybe once a month she can choose a different unhealthy meal. This way she can stop asking you for things. After she asks a few times and you point to the schedule, she will stop asking.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 7:05 pm
naomi2 wrote:
Would it help to have a visual schedule of the month like a blank calendar on the fridge and together you can pencil in the treat meals for the whole month. So 2 days a month she can see when she will be having pizza and let's say 4 sugar cereals a month or maybe on shobbos morning etc. Maybe 2x a month you can write pastry/cookies and maybe once a month she can choose a different unhealthy meal. This way she can stop asking you for things. After she asks a few times and you point to the schedule, she will stop asking.

I love this idea
This way you don’t really have to say no
You can say yes but in a few days
Make sure to include her in the decision
I also like the idea of letting her pick something from a cookbook and her cooking it or at least helping you

Amarante

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 7:23 pm
What is your definition of normal healthy foods?

Pizza is not junk food and it can be even healthier if you make it at home with a whole wheat or cauliflower crust and add veggies. Teenagers like the kinds of bowls like Chipotle makes which can be healthy. They like Mexican food which can be healthy. Generally they like Italian food like lasagna or pasta. Most teenagers like Chinese food which can be healthy. And of course burgers are another teenage food that can be healthy. You can make baked French fries or sweet potato fries. Loaded baked potatoes are liked by teenagers.

Is it eating out that she finds exciting?

Try finding out what foods she likes and making it at home.

ETA You write that food should fill you and not entertain you. I don’t know how you interpret thst in terms of what you serve but most people think of food as more than something to fill them up. They get enjoyment from eating delicious dare I say interesting food. It is one of the pleasures of life and so it not abnormal to want to eat food that is interesting. Why else do people try out recipes and go to restaurants that serve well prepared food. The issue might be that you are in fact serving not particularly palatable food. Are you just serving some boiled vegetables with no seasoning because it is healthy and food doesn’t hav3 to be “interesting” 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Maybe try some recipes that are the kinds of foods she finds interesting. Most teen favorites can be made at home in a very healthy version.

Last edited by Amarante on Sun, May 01 2022, 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Lime

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 7:25 pm
amother [ Lightblue ] wrote:
Sounds like food addiction, kids with adhd have issues with their dopamine/reward system which makes them prone to addiction/always seeking a certain dopamine fix. Processed foods give that fix.

It's not food addiction. It's literally just normal kid behavior.

amother
Acacia

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 7:42 pm
Can you get her some frozen pizza that she can warm up? Or some pizza bases and let her make her own? Pretty standard kid behavior to ask to go for pizza, sushi or whatever it is, all the time! I like going out to eat too.. obviously I’m an adult so I understand the limitations but my kids don’t and they often ask!!

Simple1

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 8:14 pm
I agree with Amarante about food being enjoyable. That’s why we make Brachos,

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:04 pm
So let her make food fun! Cut up different veggies and have all types of dips/dressings….
How about melons and grapes?
Rice cakes and different types of cheese
Buy a cook book and let her choose recipes
Are you worried about her weight? About eating unhealthy food? What is the problem here?

Amarante

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:08 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
So let her make food fun! Cut up different veggies and have all types of dips/dressings….
How about melons and grapes?
Rice cakes and different types of cheese
Buy a cook book and let her choose recipes

And nothing wrong with pizza for breakfast. An English muffin with melted cheese and tomato sauce is healthy and almost as easy to make as cold cereal. Very Happy

Jello

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:31 am
Simple1 wrote:
Healthy foods can be exciting. Especially if you’re ok with moderately decent foods and not extreme health foods. I would have her look thru a cook book with nice pictures and choose a recipe she likes. You can even let her cook if she’s old enough which will let out her ADD energy.

I personally consider pizza ok in moderation. You can choose a healthy crust and veggie toppings if she’s ok with that.

I second this! Kids who are "into" food gain a whole new appreciation from being allowed to participate in planning and preparing meals. Show her how a meal should be balanced, with plenty of vegetables, whole grains, and protein. Demonstrate how you make healthy choices that can be nutritious, delicious, and attractively exciting! Even a six-year-old can participate in this, and as a child grows older, she can even prepare a whole meal on her own. This will be so good for her confidence (builds mastery, helps her have agency) and may help her develop a healthy and open relationship with food.

amother
Obsidian

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:49 am
Just took my preteen adhd daughter to a nutritionist. It was super helpful. She just got an education on what balanced meals are, which food choices would make her full, give her energy and not leave her hungry a half hour later. She has a list of food choices for breakfast, lunch and supper and snacks. Having it defined in black and white was really good for her. We didn’t eliminate nosh and stuff but at least she’s getting 3 healthy meals a day! Before this she literally lived on nosh.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:38 am
amother [ PlumPink ] wrote:
Pizza is not very unhealthy as a meal for growing kids and once a week is very normal.

Store bought pizza is very unhealthy. As I said, we do it once in a while for a treat, (twice a month) but it's not considered a healthy meal for growing kids.

We do homemade pizza (whole wheat) with veg on a regular basis and she loves it, and devours it, but it doesn't give the same thrill as getting pizza and greasy fries from the pizza shop.

I also want to add, please only respond if you deal with this type of adhd. If you don't, you just won't get it. Some of the suggestions are on point, and some clearly are not in touch with this type of adhd. I should have specified that in the op.

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:40 am
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
Just took my preteen adhd daughter to a nutritionist. It was super helpful. She just got an education on what balanced meals are, which food choices would make her full, give her energy and not leave her hungry a half hour later. She has a list of food choices for breakfast, lunch and supper and snacks. Having it defined in black and white was really good for her. We didn’t eliminate nosh and stuff but at least she’s getting 3 healthy meals a day! Before this she literally lived on nosh.

I was thinking of this, thanks!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:43 am
Jello wrote:
I second this! Kids who are "into" food gain a whole new appreciation from being allowed to participate in planning and preparing meals. Show her how a meal should be balanced, with plenty of vegetables, whole grains, and protein. Demonstrate how you make healthy choices that can be nutritious, delicious, and attractively exciting! Even a six-year-old can participate in this, and as a child grows older, she can even prepare a whole meal on her own. This will be so good for her confidence (builds mastery, helps her have agency) and may help her develop a healthy and open relationship with food.

She loves cooking and is very involved. But still always seeking bigger and more exciting even when she is preparing. Like I said, she loves healthy food and will eat it but the adhd excitement piece is always pushing for more and more and more. I know it's the dopamine, it's the same way with everything.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:44 am
Zehava wrote:
What I learned is that they can ask and I can say no. It’s a lot of no’s but what can I do. They will always want to reach for the biggest and best of everything. It’ll take them far in life. But for now, now we can’t eat lunch at the restaurant every day, we can’t have fancy drinks and danishes for snack every day, we can’t always be baking and painting, and going to attractions. And that’s fine.

That describes the way she is!!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:45 am
naomi2 wrote:

That sounds like a good idea. So she can visually choose her "treat" days.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)