Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Reasonable price for used Doona

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 1:06 am
My neighbor had a baby last year. She bought a Doona that she used for whatever normal time people stretch it (6-9 months?). Decent condition/used for 1 baby. How much is reasonable for me to buy it from her for?

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 1:58 am
$300-400

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 2:18 am
Used car seats are generally not recommended. Make sure you get the full history- has it ever been in an accident? Even minor ones can ruin the integrity.
Did she store it in sub optimal conditions? Heat, super cold, fluctuating temperatures? That can cause it to crack.
Did she ever wash the car seat or straps not according to the strict instructions?
Also check expiration dates.

I know "everyone must have a doona" but you dont want to put your baby in an unsafe situation! I was always told- better a cheap but new car seat than a fancier but used one.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:15 am
If her baby was born last year and she only used it for him, I dont see why it shouldnt be safe for op to buy. I think you could offer her 300-350 for it.

amother
Feverfew

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:24 am
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
Used car seats are generally not recommended. Make sure you get the full history- has it ever been in an accident? Even minor ones can ruin the integrity.
Did she store it in sub optimal conditions? Heat, super cold, fluctuating temperatures? That can cause it to crack.
Did she ever wash the car seat or straps not according to the strict instructions?
Also check expiration dates.

I know "everyone must have a doona" but you dont want to put your baby in an unsafe situation! I was always told- better a cheap but new car seat than a fancier but used one.

If car seats can’t withstand heat, cold, or fluctuating temperatures then they shouldn’t ever get certified. People usually keep their car seats in their cars which in most locations will experience all of the above.

amother
DarkRed

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:43 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
If her baby was born last year and she only used it for him, I dont see why it shouldnt be safe for op to buy. I think you could offer her 300-350 for it.

Because time is not a factor for everything car seat related besides expiration.
Was the car seat in any sort of accident? You can have that happen the first day with a car seat. Car accident, as a stroller knocked over, physical damage, bumped around...
I have seen how some moms treat these doonas.

If it was left outside, exposed to heat/cold for periods of time (say if neighbor stopped using it last fall and it has been in a shed or other non climate controlled spot all winter).

If she cleaned it for Pesach (or after a diaper blowout, a baby threw up...) and used any chemicals or washed it in a way that was against manufacturer instructions.

All of these things can make it unsafe to use. Hence I buy car seats new (but strollers etc second hand when I can).

amother
Cinnamon

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:43 am
I bought a used one in very good condition for 250. That is half, which makes sense I would pay more for used. Plus you need to look it it’s scratched has stains on it… my son needed up on it until 1.5 when I needed to travel

scintilla

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 1:34 pm
The going rate is generally $100 off per year used, based on what I've seen - they last for 6 years max and cost $550. Depends also on the shape it's in, obviously if she was very hard on it wouldn't be worth the same but usually they're still in excellent condition after 1 baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics