Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chabad Mesivtas anywhere in the world
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

mitzva

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 6:10 pm
[quote="amother [ OP ]"]My son was not accepted to the Mesivtas he originally applied to. I'm assuming that means that Hashem has a better match in mind for him, but I'm not sure where!

I am so impressed with your attitude.
hatzlocha

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 6:16 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
A new mesivta is opening in Baltimore this year and Rabbi Mendy Kamiker is running in, he's fantastic and it's expected to draw a Chassidishe crowd.
Queens is also an option if that works for you Hashkafa wise
Postville also might be a good fit, the crowd isn't as Chassidish as Toronto or Chicago might be but the mashpiim and magidei shiur are solid great people.

Appreciate all the info! Will IY"H look into these. Not worried so much about hashkafa, we're a mixed family politics-wise Smile

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 6:19 pm
mitzva wrote:
I am so impressed with your attitude.
hatzlocha

Don't worry, I'm still convincing myself Wink

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Appreciate all the info! Will IY"H look into these. Not worried so much about hashkafa, we're a mixed family politics-wise Smile

Rabbi Barber also volunteered to set up boys in mesivtas who weren't accepted, he formed some kind of Vaad. I don't know much about it at all but I'll see if I can get contact info.

ETA: Found it! https://collive.com/merkos-inc.....ntly/

My husband reminded me that there's another new Mesivta opening in Connecticut, he said the Menahel Rabbi Benzion Bluming is excellent but don't know anything else

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:08 pm
Double

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:21 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
Rabbi Barber also volunteered to set up boys in mesivtas who weren't accepted, he formed some kind of Vaad. I don't know much about it at all but I'll see if I can get contact info.

ETA: Found it! https://collive.com/merkos-inc.....ntly/

My husband reminded me that there's another new Mesivta opening in Connecticut, he said the Menahel Rabbi Benzion Bluming is excellent but don't know anything else

Thank you so much! I will email Rabbi Barber.

I heard about the new Mesivta in Connecticut, but it specified that it was for boys of academic excellence which generally implies less flexibility for boys who might not fit a certain mold. But maybe I'm wrong.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much! I will email Rabbi Barber.

I heard about the new Mesivta in Connecticut, but it specified that it was for boys of academic excellence which generally implies less flexibility for boys who might not fit a certain mold. But maybe I'm wrong.

It can't hurt to ask, many smart kids can be a little quirky personality wise Smile
They'll likely be straightforward with you if they think it's a good option or not.

amother
Wallflower

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:41 pm
My dh went to mesivta in ohr menachem, its in Napioville Canada, it was very small and close-knit. He really really enjoyed it, to this day he mentions it still.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:47 pm
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:
My dh went to mesivta in ohr menachem, its in Napioville Canada, it was very small and close-knit. He really really enjoyed it, to this day he mentions it still.

I actually know the Rosh Yeshiva and his wife Smile They are pretty special people!

amother
Jade

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:58 pm
amother [ Wallflower ] wrote:

What type of boy does it attract? Who runs it?
What grades is it for? How many kids per grade?

amother
Mint

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 10:09 pm
Queens mesivta is great!
Very chassidishe avirah!
Rabbi Mendel Scharf is Menahel.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 7:45 am
what about Detroit Mesivta? they are really chassidish and accomodating!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 7:50 am
Cincinnati

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 8:17 am
My sons had very good experiences in Antwerp. One of them is socially awkward and really blossomed there, both are good chassidishe boys. Its mostly (I think) kids of European shluchim. My kids are from an entirely english speaking home, some kids might be from hebrew speaking homes.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 10:11 am
I don't have any good answers, as I am past this stage with my boys. But when we were dealing with Mesivta, it was very hard to find the right match for each of our boys. Two of them did very well in New Haven. One more socially savvy than the other, and both enjoyed it.
We did have an experience that I can share with Zal (Bais Medresh for those in other circles). During Covid one of my boys was accepted to a Yeshiva of his first choice out of the country. For various reasons, despite our best effort, he wasn't able to leave the US (when many of his friends were able to somehow) and had to switch to what we all thought was an inferior yeshiva. It ended up in hindsight being the best best decision ever. He has thrived in the more intimate environment, gotten a better education than his friends in the other yeshiva have, had more opportunities for personal growth and personal achievement. Clearly Hashgacha Protis, and our son is the first to recognize it. We thank Hashem for this all of the time.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 1:34 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
I don't have any good answers, as I am past this stage with my boys. But when we were dealing with Mesivta, it was very hard to find the right match for each of our boys. Two of them did very well in New Haven. One more socially savvy than the other, and both enjoyed it.
We did have an experience that I can share with Zal (Bais Medresh for those in other circles). During Covid one of my boys was accepted to a Yeshiva of his first choice out of the country. For various reasons, despite our best effort, he wasn't able to leave the US (when many of his friends were able to somehow) and had to switch to what we all thought was an inferior yeshiva. It ended up in hindsight being the best best decision ever. He has thrived in the more intimate environment, gotten a better education than his friends in the other yeshiva have, had more opportunities for personal growth and personal achievement. Clearly Hashgacha Protis, and our son is the first to recognize it. We thank Hashem for this all of the time.

Can you tell me which yeshiva was his first choice, and which he is thriving in? I'm looking for a first year yeshiva for my son who is younger than most of the boys in 1st year (we're out of the US and our school system is different).

amother
Tuberose

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 12:10 am
Has anyone heard anything about the new Mesivtas opening this year like Baltimore and Connecticut?

yo'ma

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 8:20 am
I know there’s one in Argentina. I also know that there are boys from other countries that come here. I don’t know anything about it though, but I have friends who might because they’re chabad.

Mushkygold

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:49 pm
Rabbi Lustig and Rabbi Teichtel of Mesivta of Monsey are both amazing, but I think many of the boys are slightly more on the cool side, so it might not be the best fit for your son.
The new Mesivta in Pomona might be more suitable (I heard of a few boys who are going, who don't seem to be super great academics, so I don't think you need to worry about that).
Rabbi Avtzon of Cincinnati is very warm, the atmosphere there is chasidish with lots of Chayus. It's a Meshchist Yeshiva so that may bother some, but seems like you are open minded.

Mushkygold

Post Tue, May 17 2022, 7:50 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I know there’s one in Argentina. I also know that there are boys from other countries that come here. I don’t know anything about it though, but I have friends who might because they’re chabad.

I am pretty sure boys from other countries only come to their "Zal", the discussion here is about Mesivta, for younger boys.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics