Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Name for baby girl born on or around yom haatzmaut?
Previous  1  2  3  4

banana123

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:08 am
etky wrote:
It's also the official Hebrew name of the Talbieh neighborhood in Jerusalem, for those who know it...

True. Though most people don't use that name.

banana123

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:08 am
Geulanow wrote:
Rochel

Mah kesher?

etky

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:10 am
banana123 wrote:
True. Though most people don't use that name.

I know. I just thought people would find that interesting.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:13 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Komemiut is Afaik a moshav in israel. Not really a name to give to babies.

I would never name a baby Komemiut or Tekumah. When I saw the name Pedutya I thought it sounded like those old Yiddish names that people come here to complain- what should I do dh wants me to name after her grandmother but she had an awful name?? The replies would all be about don’t use it. There’s no accounting for taste though. The name you or I would never give is the gorgeous name someone else is excited to give her daughter.

etky

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:19 am
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
I would never name a baby Komemiut or Tekumah. When I saw the name Pedutya I thought it sounded like those old Yiddish names that people come here to complain- what should I do dh wants me to name after her grandmother but she had an awful name?? The replies would all be about don’t use it. There’s no accounting for taste though. The name you or I would never give is the gorgeous name someone else is excited to give her daughter.

Lol. It is kind of awful and so are many of the other 'engineered' names and those that are concepts that really don't sound like names at all.
But to each their one. We're just putting them out there....

banana123

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:32 am
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:

Exactly.

We're just putting the ideas out there, though.

I wouldn't give every name I suggested - some yes, some no. But to each her own, names are an issue of community, style, and taste.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 11:09 am
banana123 wrote:
Exactly.

We're just putting the ideas out there, though.

I wouldn't give every name I suggested - some yes, some no. But to each her own, names are an issue of community, style, and taste.

Agreed.

In Israel, Geula is an old lady name - but only because it was given to so many baby girls 74 years ago!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 12:09 pm
banana123 wrote:
Meh. It would work fine, depending on style and circles.

What's interesting to me is that you don't like Komemiyut but you don't have an issue with Tekuma.
https://www.mytkuma.org.il/obj.....06546

Or Tehalelya. I mean....why davka Komemiyut? I've heard of girls named Kamah. Boys named Nimrod. Afek, Ofek. Tamah. I know of a Shomriya.

https://www.homee.co.il/%D7%A9.....7%94/

It has a nice sound and a nice meaning, so why is it different than any of the others that aren't traditional names but just have nice sounds and nice meanings?

Is it appropriate to name a child Komemiut when it least two locations in israel are named Komemiut?
It's like naming a child London or Brooklyn.
AFAIK there are no places in israel named tekuma or any other name you mentioned.

banana123

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 12:40 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Is it appropriate to name a child Komemiut when it least two locations in israel are named Komemiut?
AFAIK there are no places in israel named tekuma or any other name you mentioned.

I literally linked you to Moshav Tekuma's website. And to proof that Shomriya is the name of a place in Israel.

And you'd be surprised, there are people named Brooklyn and it's not uncommon.
https://nameberry.com/babyname/brooklyn/girl

Not sure about London, but there are girls named India, too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_(given_name)#:~:text=India%20is%20a%20feminine%20given,India%20during%20the%2019th%20century.

BTW Shiloh is the name of a place, as are Eilat, Sharon, Netanya, Kinneret, Ge'alya, Ariel(le), Geula, Yardena. Mevaseret - there is Mevaseret Tzion, which is often shortened to Mevaseret (ani garah b'mevaseret).

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 12:58 pm
banana123 wrote:
I literally linked you to Moshav Tekuma's website. And to proof that Shomriya is the name of a place in Israel.

And you'd be surprised, there are people named Brooklyn and it's not uncommon.
https://nameberry.com/babyname/brooklyn/girl

Not sure about London, but there are girls named India, too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_(given_name)#:~:text=India%20is%20a%20feminine%20given,India%20during%20the%2019th%20century.

BTW Shiloh is the name of a place, as are Eilat, Sharon, Netanya, Kinneret, Ge'alya, Ariel(le), Geula, Yardena. Mevaseret - there is Mevaseret Tzion, which is often shortened to Mevaseret (ani garah b'mevaseret).

I didn't open links. I believe you there is moshav Tekuma and Shomriya etc.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 1:00 pm
My next-door neighbor has a little girl named "London".
Not Jewish.

amother
Phlox

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 6:03 pm
Love the name Moriah. Shir-el. Shalhevet (meaning flame) Any happy name like Aliza. Gili. Tikva, Emuna. It should just be with much Mazel Tov!

youngmother6

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 5:04 pm
תחיה
מוריה
אודיה
חרות
תקוה

youngmother6

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 5:06 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

Brooklyn is a regular American name. I actually think it’s kind of cute.
https://www.babycenter.com/bab.....-5395

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 5:43 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Tzofia

Bshaar Tova or Mazal tov OP!

Just wanted to elaborate on this beautiful name, צופיה.

Its in aishes chayil and also in Hatikva.
It literally means watching or guarding but figuratively it means looking towards the future.
Like Har hatzofim that looks towards yerushalayim, towards the (rebuilding of the) Beis Hamikdosh.
It also has the same gematria as Hashems name המקום.

amother
Dustypink

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 5:46 pm
amother [ Daisy ] wrote:

It also has the same gematria as Hashems name המקום.

Did you know that Yonatan has the same gematria as Hiney Melech Hamashiach Ba.

Gematria means nothing.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names