Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
2 names that are similar in one family
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 1:30 am
I know a family with #3.
We don’t mix them up but I imagine for the mother it can get confusing labeling things. But otherwise it seems fine.
I know two families where they have a boy and a girl named after the same person eg Leora and Meir or Boruch and Bracha. People do this.

camp123

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 1:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can people weigh in
I already have a child w a name that is similar to that of a grandparent who passed away and family wants us to name after the grandparent. To make things not obvious what do you think of having 2 kids in one family (in a row) with any of the following similar names...

1 Elazar and Eliezer
2. Aaron and Aryeh
3. Dovid and Dovi
4. Shalom and Shlomo
5. Menucha and Menachem

I would do number 2 and 5 if I had to but not the rest.

amother
Peony

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 2:01 am
I have a dini and a donny in a row

I actually really didn't want to do it but had no choice with the second one... Whatever long story

Nowadays I don't give it much thought

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 2:01 am
We have a yitty and gitty. Always confusing.
My neighbor has a malky, matty and meity. Everyone mixes up.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 2:11 am
I actually know a family with Eliezer and Elazar and in retrospect they didn't realize how similar they sound.

I also say 2 and 5 are OK.
Also if you are giving it with another name it makes a big difference like Dov Ber and and Dovid I might do.

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 2:56 am
I have a friend with Chana then Chanania

WitchKitty

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 3:08 am
I know someone with Elazar, Elisheva and Elimelech, and the last one is nicknamed Eli.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:41 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
We have a yitty and gitty. Always confusing.
My neighbor has a malky, matty and meity. Everyone mixes up.

Excuse my ignorance but what is Meity? I'm assuming Matty is Mattisyahu? Or are they all girls?

amother
Yarrow

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 6:41 am
I know someone that has a ruchy and a rechie.
I also heard of someone that has a shlima and shlomo.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 6:59 am
I gave my sons second name as Shalom because I knew in the future I would want to name after a Shlomo. We call my son by his first name and I’m currently pregnant. If it’s a boy the name will indeed be Shlomo. My cousin also has a Shalom with another name. They call him Shalom. Now they want to name Shlomo and father said he just doesn’t know if he could do it.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 7:08 am
We actually briefly considered Yair when we already had a Meir. Rav said it was fine but in the end we still felt too weird and didn't do it. Also we have one kid with a name that can be shortened to Eli and we won't consider any other Eli names because of it. That doesn't mean any of it is is wrong or anything, it's a matter of personal taste.

Reality

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 7:18 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but what is Meity? I'm assuming Matty is Mattisyahu? Or are they all girls?

Mattt and Meity are both yiddish girls names

amother
Rose

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 7:20 am
We have an avi and could have named our second son Aron (which may have turned to ari) but chose not too because we thought it was too similar.

amother
Quince

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 7:49 am
I have a Chaya and a Chaim. Chaim was an added name, and he isn’t actually called that.

I have a family member who has a Duvid and a Dovi.

mynameismom

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 8:24 am
I have a Nochum and a Menachem

amother
Daisy

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 8:33 am
I have a Chani and Shani and everyone always asks why did you name them like that

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 9:29 am
I would also add I think it depends on your pronunciation. If you’re chasidish, litvish etc it will make a difference where you’re stressing the letters and will make the name sound more similar/different accordingly.

amother
Phlox

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 9:33 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I also have the names Gitty and yitty in the family. Wonder if we’re related lol.
I have one and wouldn’t give the other because it’s too confusing. Maybe if they’re very far apart in age.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 9:55 am
Don't understand the problem.
We name after relatives and if two relatives have a similar name that's fine as long as they are two different names.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 10:03 am
amother [ Phlox ] wrote:
I also have the names Gitty and yitty in the family. Wonder if we’re related lol.
I have one and wouldn’t give the other because it’s too confusing. Maybe if they’re very far apart in age.

My sister and I are 17 years apart and it's still confusing. Gitty and Yitty.

I have 2 grandfathers (my husband's and mine) with different hebrew names with the same Yiddish nickname and joked that if I have twin boys I'll name them after these grandfathers and call them both by the nickname. But I only had one and he proudly goes by the uncommon Hebrew name so it's too late for that.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names