Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
2 names that are similar in one family
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Holly

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 7:13 am
I would do it unless one of the names is uncommon and the other is common (in my community). For example Shima and Sima, Yitty and Gitty, Chayla and Chayala. Because then every time the kid says "I'm Chayla" the listener will hear "Chayala" and that's just too confusing.
Definitely wouldn't call by the same exact nickname, like Eli and Eli, no matter what the full name is.
Depending on when and how many kids I have, there's a good chance I'll have Chana, chaya, and chava. I don't mind that. Maybe we'll call them Chayala, chanie, and chava, but maybe not.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 7:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can people weigh in
I already have a child w a name that is similar to that of a grandparent who passed away and family wants us to name after the grandparent. To make things not obvious what do you think of having 2 kids in one family (in a row) with any of the following similar names...

1 Elazar and Eliezer
2. Aaron and Aryeh
3. Dovid and Dovi
4. Shalom and Shlomo
5. Menucha and Menachem

I probably wouldn’t do the first one, just because to me it’s a tongue twister to say them both in a row.
I know families with all the other ones. The names seem pretty different to me.

LiLIsraeli

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 7:35 am
I know families with Aron and Aryeh, Miriam and Mirel, Menachem and Nechama, Shlomo and Shmuel.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 8:45 am
I know a family with a Yocheved and a Chava in a row. They’re called Chev and Chav.

Sesame

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 10:18 am
Just met someone with two girls. Naama and nava.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 10:28 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can people weigh in
I already have a child w a name that is similar to that of a grandparent who passed away and family wants us to name after the grandparent. To make things not obvious what do you think of having 2 kids in one family (in a row) with any of the following similar names...

1 Elazar and Eliezer
2. Aaron and Aryeh
3. Dovid and Dovi
4. Shalom and Shlomo
5. Menucha and Menachem

I'm stuck at this part..

amother
Impatiens

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 11:10 am
Elazar and Eliezer, Shalom and Shlomo, are variations of the same name, and I wouldn't dream of giving two siblings, consecutive or not, what is essentially the same name. For practical reasons, you understand, not religious ones. Aharon and Aryeh are completely different names, and as long as you are careful to enunciate A-ha-RON and don't nickname either one "Ari," it's acceptable. Acceptable, but not a great idea. Grandma--or even you, when you get older and your hearing ain't what it used to be--will be unable to distinguish the two when they identify themselves or someone talks about them. "Aryeh's engaged? Didn't he get married two years ago? He divorced and is remarrying? oyoyoy." "No, Mama, AHARON is engaged. Aryeh's B"H still married."

Menucha and Menachem are different names with different roots, one meaning "rest" and the other meaning "consolation." Personally I wouldn't use both names for siblings because it's nauseatingly cutesy-poo, but there's nothing unacceptable about it, especially if they're opposite genders.

Dovid and Dov are also different names with different roots and different spellings in Hebrew. Nothing unacceptable about using these, either, but for reasons listed above, not a great idea. I assume you're pronouncing Dovi Dove E like the bird and Dovid Dove Id also like the bird. Even if you're pronouncing Dovi (MUST you use that suffix? Can't you just call him Dov?) with a long O as in the past tense of "dive," it's still too close to Dovid and will make life difficult for people whose hearing is less than perfect.

Not to mention how it will mess things up for them with mail, applications, and other records. Especially if they're siblings, they'll be forever getting each other's personal records and may even encounter mixups with bank accounts, medical records and other records . Just imagine Dovid Knoll and Dov Knoll, brothers. Good grief.

Now that I think about it, all of the examples you cite are too similar for siblings, for this very practical reason. Mail arrives for D Knoll, whose is it? Someone wants to redd a shidduch with "the Knoll boy, Elazar, Eliezer, something like that." The FBI is investigating Shalom Knoll and rounds up Shlomo Knoll.

Just say NO.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 11:16 am
Juicy wrote:
My friend is Fraidy and her daughter I Freidy.

Isnt that the same name just with different accent?

Am I missing something?

amother
Wandflower

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 11:48 am
amother [ Arcticblue ] wrote:
Isnt that the same name just with different accent?

Am I missing something?

Fradel vs Fraida

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 12:01 pm
[quote="amother [ Wandflower ]"]Fradel vs Fraida[/

No, thats not what she wrote.

That would be FrAIDy (Fraida) and FraDy (Fradel). Which are two diff names.

But she wrote FrEIdy (Freida or Freidel) and FrAIdy (Fraida or Fraidel).

Same names just with different accents (litvish and chassidish).

So my question still stands: am I missing something?

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 12:11 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
Fradel vs Fraida

What do they each mean? Other than "joy"

mommyla

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 1:05 pm
I knew a family with two daughters close in age, Rochela and Brachala. Would not recommend!

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 1:12 pm
I'm Chaya(lla) and my brother is Chaim. I don't see the issue.

My mother refused to name any of us after our great-great-grandmother (on my father's side) because it's similar to our surname. Think something like Rosy Rosenberg.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 1:17 pm
Delete

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 6:15 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can people weigh in

1 Elazar and Eliezer
2. Aaron and Aryeh
3. Dovid and Dovi
4. Shalom and Shlomo
5. Menucha and Menachem

I know brothers elozar and eliezer. They are about ten years apart and elozar is luzzy and the eliezer is a middle name. So they aren't called by similar names.
But they got LOTS of comments acc that bris!

I don't think aharon (with the HA) is close to aryeh, but if he'll be aron it arin, I hear the issue.

Dovid and dov are somehow less strange to me than shalom and shlomo
Menucha and menachem sounds cutesy, like a story book.

I know a family with a shifra and Elisheva (Which would be weird if they went by nicknames shiffy and shevy)

I know a family with a yocheved and a chava which don't sound so similar, but they are very close in age and go by chev and chav..

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 6:19 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I know a family with a Yocheved and a Chava in a row. They’re called Chev and Chav.

We must know the same ones!! Wink

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 6:21 pm
I also know a yitty and gitty, one after another I thought it was silly sounding.
I would have called them yitty and gittel or yita and gitty... Not rhyming nicknames

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 6:23 pm
[delete

amother
Forsythia

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 6:23 pm
[delete

tigerwife

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 6:31 pm
Is Chayla a yiddish name? What does it mean? I always thought it was a nickname for Chaya.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names